Should I buy a diesel 'van or not?? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We're looking to replace our Shirley!

First and foremost though, as the new 'van will have to last us for a good few years and there appears to be an upcoming backlash against diesel engines, should we buy another diesel or look for one with a petrol engine?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wouldn't be worrying about it until the major base vehicle manufacturers start heavily pushing non-diesel versions of their vans.

Diesel is going nowhere until someone comes up with a viable alternative for the hundreds of thousands of vehicles, and also the trains, that deliver the goods and services we expect to be able to buy cheaply every day. Petrol most certainly isn't the answer there.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you can find exactly what you want, in both Petrol and Diesel then choose petrol, all the large cities and surrounds will be charging fees for diesels soon. But I wouldn't compromise on the van just to get a petrol one. Not yet anyway, let's see where we are in ten years.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Diesels are just the current target, an easy one because its easy to associate them with the old types belching out black smoke,
modern diesels are actually cleaner then many of the direct injection petrol models have very high particulate counts far in excess of current diesel models, they will be the next target.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

First and foremost though, as the new 'van will have to last us for a good few years and there appears to be an upcoming backlash against diesel engines, should we buy another diesel or look one with a petrol engine?
Not sure if you will get a balanced view from 100% financially committed diesel owners....:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I know petrol mpg has been more efficient over the last few years but I don't think they'll get to diesel mpg.
The charges associated with cities that are introducing zones will be far cheaper than the increase in fuel costs over any given period.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My advice buy what suits you best and enjoy it while you can.
Whatever you buy the powers that be will screw you.
Only a few years ago we were all encouraged to buy the new modern fuel efficient clean running diesels. Now we've all bought them hey presto they're the spawn of the devil and we're being penalised for being stupid enough buy them.
If we all changed to petrol vehicles tomorrow the powers that be would just invent another pack of lies to tax us to death.
Cynical moi? Never:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I've heard a rumour that the government have plans to tax white vehicles and very soon will be fitting water meters to your tanks and waste tanks to levy water and sewerage charges. Just a rumour.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Do you know a major European manufacturer who produce motorhomes with the option of a petrol engine?
If you are looking at 2nd hand,The only one's I've seen are american RV's, with huge petrol engines.
Because of the cost of petrol over here and the MPG, most get them converted to LPG.
As others have said. There isn't an alternative yet, so you have little choice(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The problem with Diesel engines isn't particulates - the DPF sees to that. It is Nitrous Oxide that's the bogey man. Nitrous Oxides are produced when the nitrogen in the atmosphere is heated in an engine. The temperatures reached during Diesel combustion are considerably higher than those reached in a petrol engine - hence crude EGR systems attempt to reduce combustion temperatures. Adblue systems work by chemically altering altering the composition of the exhaust gas outside the engine using a catalyst and are the latest attempt to reduce NOx.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Buy a Mercedes Sprinter (Or Dodge / Traveliner) US 3.5 litre Petrol RV. Not sure how well it will convert to an LPG but I do know the V8 5 litres are one of the best engines to convert.

VW have Spent Millions on their Brand New (Non Mercedes Built) Crafter, that is still only available in Diesel Engines.

I cannot think of any large European Built van that is available with a decent petrol Engine.

Yes, Mercedes did build the Sprinter with a Petrol/LNG Engine, not very powerful. But I think that was dropped for 2016.

TM

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only coachbuilt maker that I can recall that kept making them with a petrol engine in recent times was Pioneer Motorhomes who I recall stuck with the petrol versions much later than any other maker, up to 2004 I think:

Broken Link Removed

Autocruise did some too but a bit older:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Other than that you're looking at something like an Autosleeper but a bit older still:

Broken Link Removed

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Surely your first concern should be storage.....

upload_2017-2-17_11-38-27.jpeg

Petrol -v- diesel is definitely of secondary importance ..... (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The problem with Diesel engines isn't particulates - the DPF sees to that. It is Nitrous Oxide that's the bogey man. Nitrous Oxides are produced when the nitrogen in the atmosphere is heated in an engine. The temperatures reached during Diesel combustion are considerably higher than those reached in a petrol engine - hence crude EGR systems attempt to reduce combustion temperatures. Adblue systems work by chemically altering altering the composition of the exhaust gas outside the engine using a catalyst and are the latest attempt to reduce NOx.
The Gov't and Brussels rarely legislate based upon techy details or common sense but prefer to spend time on whatever enables them to set up committees and carry out green 'fact-finding' tours. I once spent an hour in the private 'frequent traveller' departure lounge at Brussels airport in the company of 3 chaps and overheard them expressing their disappointment that their 3 years of beanos in a group of 8 Civil Service or MEP 'experts' reviewing the marking of potato sacks was about to end.
In any case, our Gov't is due to be severely fined for failing to meet emission standards in our major cities, but at least the Treasury will be able to pay them by using the funds from Environmental taxes and levies collected from us.
I cannot see all diesel taxis, lorries, buses, trains etc being banned from cities any time soon although Paris now requires vehicles entering the city to display emission certificates and I believe Bordeaux, Rouen and others are soon to follow. Even electric vehicles require power derived from coal, gas or nuclear power..............

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

First and foremost though, as the new 'van will have to last us for a good few years and there appears to be an upcoming backlash against diesel engines, should we buy another diesel or look for one with a petrol engine?
I went petrol and with my LPG conversion I am paying about 50p per litre

Very happy bunny :D

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Forward thinking is the answer.(y)
View attachment 148425

You can hear the official line already.
Nah can't have that too much methane gas and crap everywhere we'll have to levy a very high pollution tax as it's bad for the atmosphere, and those nasty hooves marking the pristine roads and the awful noise they make.
Oh no no no:)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/new-petrol-engines-cause-more-air-pollution-dirty-diesels

I wouldn't disagree about NOX but micro particulates are pretty nasty, too. They are able to penetrate deeply into lungs and are very bad news for asthmatics, other respiratory conditions and people suffering from cardio vascular problems. Apparently, car manufacturers could it particulate filters for around £50 but don't.

https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/new-petrol-engines-cause-more-air-pollution-dirty-diesels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back