Should I be worried about being allowed on some sites? (1 Viewer)

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
We pick up our new to us Hobby MH in just over a week and as first timers are getting very excited about planning our first weekend away.
However, I've since been reading that lots of sites have signs up etc saying no 'Hobby caravans'. Does anyone know if this is likely to apply to MHs as well? If you are a Hobby owner have you had problems?
Thanks everyone

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
I've never seen a sign like that, but i can imagine who it's aimed at if there was lol. No problem at all for you in your Hobby motorhome, relax

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I think this stems f from the fact that Hobby caravans are favoured by the traveling community. We used to have a hobby mh and never had a problem,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We pick up our new to us Hobby MH in just over a week and as first timers are getting very excited about planning our first weekend away.
However, I've since been reading that lots of sites have signs up etc saying no 'Hobby caravans'. Does anyone know if this is likely to apply to MHs as well? If you are a Hobby owner have you had problems?
Thanks everyone
Where have you seen that?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In France quite a lot say "no twin axles" and they do apply the rules but I only know of it being applied against caravans.

And I have heard of somebody who wouldn't take Hoddy's but can't remember where.

Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Often heard it said, but I think it's pretty much an urban myth. Loads of Funsters own Hobby vans so if there is any truth in it we'll soon know. Enjoy your new Hobby, they make great vans (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are worried get the hot air blower out and pull off the Hobby stickers and then it looks the same as all the others.
I know that was a rather tongue in cheek comment but I think Hobby actually have quite a distinctive/recognisable style unlike many others I can think of.

Nice van's.

Martin

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Urban myth as is the no tag axle one.
We've travelled extensively around Europe in our tag axle never seen either of those signs.

Hobby and tag axles are seen all over Europe.

Just enjoy your new van and don't let the scare mongers spoil it for you.:)(y)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We've travelled extensively around Europe in our tag axle never seen either of those signs.

Just enjoy your new van and don't let the scare mongers spoil it for you.:)(y)(y)
When we were tuggers we have seen loads of those signs it is not a myth, generally on Municipal sites aimed at keeping the travelers out. They still let the twin axles in just enables them to turn away the travelers.

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Hi,

wouldn't be to concerned about it. We have just traded our Hobby motorhome in, it was a tag axle one and we never had any problems at any of the sites we went to.
Yes the earlier one's stand out with the graphics they have on them, but they are a well fitted out m/home, and the build quality on the interior is excellent, kind of ahead of their time on the early ones.
We done a trip to Scotland in ours last year, over 2000 miles and it never missed a beat.

Have fun and enjoy it when you get it, incidentally there is a Hobby owners club if you are interested.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Doesn't this CCC warden on the Mordor site ban Hobbit vans?

latest

Oh, sorry, you said Hobby didn't you? My mistake.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Some years ago there was an article in one of the club magazines about a caravan site (I think it was in Scotland) that refused to accept any Hobby caravans - when questioned the owner was adamant that they would never accept any hobby caravan but did not say why!!

OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks everyone. I read it on a site about Hobby as a manufacture and someone had put a link to a site where it stated it in the site info section. There was a thread about the link to the brand being popular with travellers. The site said no Hobby and a couple of other German makes. When I mentioned it to Hubby he was of the same mind as pyro. Having read the comments, think we should be ok. Photo of 'Hilda' attached

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 57
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi enjoy your hobby motorhome. I have one the last 2 years .made lots of friends. On sites. In fact lots of admiring looks.:Grin:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If a bakery cannot refuse to make a cake on religious grounds and an hotel cannot refuse a room to gays I cannot see that any sign trying to exclude one make of motorhome or caravan is anything other than discrimination which would be challenged in court if desired.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Having worked with a few travellers over the years, the Hobby was the caravan of choice as many didnt possess a toilet inside the van so they would have to use the outside facilities. Or that was their explanation to me

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Had a Hobby for 3 yrs never had any problems and travelled all over the country/Europe in it

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have the smaller Hobby van to yours. Never had any problems on any sites here or abroad ! Enjoy your travels .
You may get asked to park the opposite way as the hab door is on the drivers side ( but we ignore that sometimes!!)
image.jpeg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Have seen signs that say"no twin axle vans " but never had a problem with our tag axle M/H being allowed on

When we were tuggers we have seen loads of those signs it is not a myth, generally on Municipal sites aimed at keeping the travelers out. They still let the twin axles in just enables them to turn away the travelers.

Not so!

We've been turned away from two sites in our Dethleffs tag axle. First time was a site somewhere south of Carcasonne (and it wasn't due to the length as there was at least one large RV on site) and the second one was at Amboise. We returned a second time (a couple of years later) to Amboise and were refused again!

There were no signs at either site.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If a bakery cannot refuse to make a cake on religious grounds and an hotel cannot refuse a room to gays I cannot see that any sign trying to exclude one make of motorhome or caravan is anything other than discrimination which would be challenged in court if desired.

I think site owners can discriminate if they wish. Someone can legally refuse you entry to a pub, building or campsite because they don't like your face or the shoes your wearing, in fact they don't even have to give you an excuse, they can refuse admission for pretty much anything they like as long as they stay away from racist, sexist homophobic et al refusals. That said, that is the law here, but not sure in France where some might have seen the signs.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have the smaller Hobby van to yours. Never had any problems on any sites here or abroad ! Enjoy your travels .
You may get asked to park the opposite way as the hab door is on the drivers side ( but we ignore that sometimes
Not on mine, it isn't - steering wheel to port, hab door to starboard. ;)

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
I have seen that once advertised by a site at Brean in Somerset which stated that they would not accept Hobby, LMC and another make which I cannot remember but whilst I was on the site I did see Hobby vans on site, I think as has been said earlier that it is because the "travelling community" seem to favour these makes.
Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back