Should Caravans be allowed on motorhome parking places ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Sep 19, 2012.

?

Should caravans be allowed to use motorhome overnight parking places

1. yes

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    74.4%
  1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This question was put to a German forum .

Pitches for caravans open?
    In recent editions of "ACE STEERING WHEEL" the discussion is the fact that the RV spaces are now open for caravan teams. Which opinion has ProMobil that? What opinion do you have?

Read More

What's your view..

Should caravans be allowed to use motorhome overnight parking places .. ?

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

If we are on about aires in France etc....

2 things make me say no. One is the length of the combined unit the other is the fact they are not self contained and (most) need external water/waste tanks.

You can fit two average motorhomes into the space taken by one caravan.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Having just returned from touring in France using mainly aires its my opinion that if your not parked up on an aire by 1400 then dont bother trying as they are full. If caravans were allowed then they are going to need bigger aires.
    It seems that what with the rising cost of fuel and campsites and the lowering of disposable income those that used to use campsites are now turning to the cheaper option of aires.
    Theres also the other thing of power, not many caravans have solar power, so they are going to want to run gennys :Sad:.
    I have no problem with caravans using aires if they are self sufficient, the same goes for motorhomes. As long as they are self sufficient and have fresh water/waste water tanks fitted which most caravans don't, and have adequate solar power for there day to day needs. If they don't have these basic requirements then use a campsite.
    Aires are not a cheap way of camping but a place to stay overnight.... Unfortunately many forget that simple fact. What happens to the caravan whilst the campers go off in there car shopping or sightseeing, returning to find me parked up for the night were there car was once parked :Doh:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

I can't make up my mind, for every argument against they're is a counter argument ..

You can't ban on the basis of using outside water/waste tanks.. many small camper vans don't have on board tanks.. I don't see the problem .. it's an inconvenience for the owner, not others.

It can't be length, many large motorhomes pull trailers or toads.. if there is space they are not a problem .. I accept many small aires are not suitable for large outfits.. but that applies whatever the outfit, ie .. RV+toad or car+caravan ..
    You could fit two 'normal sized' camper vans in place of many large ones.

You can't ban because they don't have solar .. many motorhomes don't .. indeed I have never had solar on any camper van ..

The German vote is 78% against.. yet many speak in favour .. be it camper van, motorhome , caravan, 5er, RV or mini artic .. are we not equal .. or are some more equal than others .. ?

So why should caravans be treated differently .. What's the real reason .. ?

17 have voted NO , only two have given a reason .. so if you vote NO it would be appreciated if you said why ..

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Snowbird

You have travelled in France enough to see the "travelling" community especially down the west coast. Can you imagine what would happen to aires in these areas if trailers were allowed on aires. I hasten to add I have no bones to pick with the travelling community, having travelled long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

No.

nor should cars, vans, lorries

• Like Like x 7
  7. scotjimland

Yes indeed Dave.. I have .. but is it right to discriminate on that basis ?

also, many 'travellers' use motorhomes, (albeit many are converted trucks).. and aires, but are generally moved off pretty quickly ..

My opening post was prompted by the German discussion .. and when I toured Germany often seen caravans on stelplatz .. but I believe you are correct .. it's an attempt to stop the travellers..

yet there are those don't want caravans, simply because they are caravans, .. (irrespective of who owns them ) .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We stayed a night at Cordes-sur-ciel and the aire had two caravans in it, apparently allowed by the guy who checks youve paid. If aires allowed caravans they would need to enforce a max stay as many caravans do not tour and could block aires for weeks. Most caravans in Ffrance are dutch and the French think they hate spending money anyway.:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phill D

Phill D

with my limited experience on Aires... i believe these are stop overs and should not be used for more than 1 / 2 nights max.

I would not object to a caravan stop over on an aire but to me the car should remain coupled or at least if the car leaves the Aire then the caravan should be taken with it ( as would be the case with a motorhome towing a toad / trailer ). :hardhat:

• Like Like x 6
  10. scotjimland

Absolutely agree .. the max stay rule should be applied rigorously during the busy season..

If I were touring France with the caravan I would only want to use an aire for overnight .. not as a camp site.. When we toured with the caravan in the past we generally looked for municipal sites .. but many of them as well as most commercial sites are closed off season.. so where does that leave the touring caravan.. :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

Agreed :thumb:

12. ojibway

ojibway Funster

I think aires evolved out of a need for places to park/overnight for (French) motorhomers who like to travel a lot and explore their beautiful country.
    Caravanners, by contrast have a different culture. Park up (camp) and explore by car.
    Few aire have room for caravans and their tow vehicles. It's bad enough when motorhomers take up two spaces when towing a car or trailer.:Angry:
    So, no, I don't think caravanners should be using aires.:Sad:
    You choose your life style. Can't have it both ways!:Wink:

13. scotjimland

Yes, I agree... to a point... I don't want to see aires clogged up with campers either..

but if caravans are banned should 'vanacars' (motorhome with car ) not also be banned ? They also park up and explore by car..

To be frank, it's never going to happen .. but it's an interesting discussion on a slow day .. :Smile:

14. Snowbird

I think the problems would arise when the occupants of the toad or towing car went off sightseeing or shopping and on return found they had no place to park as another camper was parked in what they would consider "there" place.
    As long as the bay was big enough and the towing vehicle was attached to the trailer I could see no problem arising, but human nature being what it is there will always be someone who thinks they have a right to do as they please and be damned to everyone else.
    Thats why no caravans are allowed on French aires by statute law.

• Like Like x 1
  15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

When we were caravanning we stopped for lunch on the Aire at La Fleche without realising it was an Aire because there were lots of cars parked on it, whilst there a council worker pointed out the tap to us so obviously didn't have a problem with us being there. We would never have used an Aire knowingly as there would probably not be enough parking space as we had a twin axle van, saying that we could use very few municipal sites because we were twin axle due to the "traveller" problem.

Being an ex caravanner I would not have wanted to use Aires with the caravan because we were not self conatined, it just wouldn't have been convenient especially when the kids were small.

I think I would say no because I believe caravans are better suited for sites.

16. scotjimland

So what about these aires.. Certainly not overcrowded and more like sites than car parks..

not suitable ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

piont taken, but what if it WAS full of caravaners, with awnings out and chairs/bbq's etc etc AND a wholeload of motor homers turned up and could not get on,mmmm:Sad:

if theres rule theres rules, and the aires are French and they say the rules are NO CARAVANS.

so perhaps the bigger aires with lots of space, could/should be part municible sites, everybodys happy. ( expect the vanners who will need to pay more probibly/possibly)

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I voted NO
    Reasons simply numbers there are almost a 4 to 1 ratio of caravans to Motor homes if the system were opened up to caravans it would in my opinion collapse
    imagine the aires being 5 x busier

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  19. scotjimland

Not disputing the rules which I am well aware of .. but what's the difference between a car+caravan and a motorhome+car ..

I've seen 5ers, caravans, trucks, converted coaches, campervans pulling caravans, even a LandRover with a roof tent .. believe me I've seen it all..

but so far no one has given a valid reason, only that it may be abused by pikies or it may get over crowded or people would break the rules.. or put up awnings and use BBQs.. all of which I've seen motorhomers doing .. all spurious reasons.

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster