Should Caravan insurance be compulsory... ( caravan on Fire )...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phill D, Oct 22, 2012.

?

should caravan insurance be compulsory

1. YES caravan Ins should be compulsory

39 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. NO don’t see the reason

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Other please specify in a reply post

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Phill D

Phill D

i am interested in reading opinions on the circumstances that has made me post this Poll / Thread;

last wednesday at the CC site at Pembrey country park a caravan was parked on the next pitch to my brother in laws motorhome.
    at around 5 am he and his wife were awakend by banging on the van and shouting.
    the said caravan was on fire and seriously ablaze.
    Fortunately no one was injured, but the caravan was burned out and by the time the fire brigade had things under control the tow car had also become a victim.
    Brother in law and his wife had to stand some distance away along with others a hope his motorhome would not be afected in any way. Again, only through good fortrune and the breeze in the oposite direction probably saved his motorhome.

later he established that the fire was probably caused by a fan heater which had been left running all night in the caravan while placed on the carpeted floor of the caravan. the ocupents woken by a smoke alarm only fitted a week before.
    Also, the the caravan was not insured, so had any other caravan or motorhome been affected compensation would be a problem other than claiming on your own insurance.

makes you also consider where you place your van keys at night and the type of silver screen you have. He had his cab keys in a drawer as always and could not react fast enough as his silver screen did not have a fold down front, so could not quickly move his van.

scarey or what, to watch helplessly as your pride and joy is litterally in the line of fire...:Eeek:
    interested in all your thoughts on the matter.

2. Phill D

Phill D

forgot to mention the inlaws motorhome is an AUTO TRAIL so may have done him a favour if it had burned..:hardhat::hardhat: :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It's a difficult one isn't it. Compulsory insurance for road use makes senses but i would not want to see legislation to insist we insure for other things. What if it was a frame tent that went up in flames, should tents be insured? Where do we stop?

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

damp wood takes ages to catch fire :Laughing:

seriously though insurance should be compulsory if only to protect third parties.

• Like Like x 3
  5. aba

aba

i think it should be compulsory for trailers also.
    whilst they are connected to the tow vehicle they are covered under the tow vehicles insurance to a point but what i wonder is if they disconnect and slam their brakes on as is the job of the breakaway cable what happens if the insurance says its not covered as it was not connected to a towing vehicle????

also whilst on about insurance it would be a good idea for cyclists to have insurance as i have seen a few of them cause accidents.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Phill D

Phill D

very valid point,, thinkin about it i guess it could be covered by personal liability insurance ( if the individual had any ) but not sure about that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

In this instance I doubt that the insurance would have paid out anyway
    You may find all portable heating appliances are a huge no no in Motorhomes as well as caravans:Eeek:
    Thats why the best advice is as always "An Oil filled device", by far the lowest fire risk

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The Road Traffic Act states that 1/3 party insurance is compulsory for any trailer used on public roads .. most car policies include it , but you must check, it may be excluded. So while hitched.. insured.. unhitched not

Making it compulsory while pitched on a site? No.. as already said, where would it end.. also, if the site rules are adhered to, ie 6mt gap between vans, the risk is very small..

• Like Like x 2
  9. aba

aba

then comes the question as to if the guideline of 6 metres is between the vans or the van and next doors 3 metre awning making the actual gap only 3 metres.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Phill D

Phill D

the more i think about it the more i agree with you. its just the thought of loosing your van to anothers fault and having to claim on your own insurance and no claims.

however, the main point in all of this is that no one gets hurt..

11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I've seen the damage exploding gas bottles can cause :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Steady !!!! Some of us like our AutoTrails:Smile:

barry

13. Phill D

Phill D

brother in law says that you could see and hear when the hose on the gas bottle went and when the cylinder poped.

14. Phill D

Phill D

just fishin... had a bad experience with Autotrail management with our last van took 2 years to resolve.. in law swears by his:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Well if my mother in laws knickers ever caught fire in a big wind.......it could lead to a major disaster.........they should be fully comprehensive !!:Smile:

barry

• Like Like x 2
  16. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Luckily for them eh !

By the way, I like my Auto-trail but I have some issues that I am trying to get put right. Hope it doesn't take ywo years :Angry:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

keys in a drawer.....understandable.

silver screens vs man in panic mode......not a chance, they're only fabric and soon ripped off.

• Like Like x 3
  18. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Cyclists definitely should carry insurance, along with horses and dogs.
    You cant own both the road and the footpath without some liability cover, surely?

Cover for caravans and trailers in general is usually covered by the towing vehicle, but not covered if it detatches.
    If I remember rightly, when we had a caravan years ago, this "detatched" insurance cover was only pennies.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

In answer to the posed question, I would say yes, but only public liability insurance..

As far as 'having to stand back and hope my van was ok' I am afraid it would take someone with a bloody big gun to stop me driving it off ( dragging the awning, hook up and anything else attached if need be too ! )

• Like Like x 7
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Me too, repairing a damaged awning and or hook up socket is going to be cheaper and less inconvenient as losing the whole lot.

I know many people say such things but if put to real life test would panic. trust me though when you do jump in there it really raises the blood pressure and you go through all the regrets after, certainly not the right thing for many people.