Short Wave / air band listening?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Allanm, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

My Dad has always been into radios, especially short wave and morse code. I remember an old short wave set he had that we used to listen to with a pair of Bakelite earphones at night. We heard radio hams, foreign stations ( speaking English) especially from Russia, and American Football games.
    I got into CB radio when you could ( illegally) buy and use American sets and spoke to people all over the world when conditions were right, but never bothered when it was legalised.
    I've had quite a few wide band and shortwave sets and always been interested in listening to air band, both civil and military.
    Now, I have a few wide band receivers and air band scanners with a new shortwave receiver on its way this week.
    Anybody else out there as sad as me? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes, been through both am and fm CB radios, multi channel on am but just the muppet show on fm. Did have a dabble with radio ham but just as a listener rather that buy any. Why didn't you take your ticket? It seems like your well into it. :)

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Used to be.... Got into CB, Then became a HAM.
    Even opened a CB radio shop, supplied the others with spares..
    Had a truck stop outlet in West Bromwich..

NOW.... Lost all interest. Enjoyed it while it was happening.. We used to do close scan TV as well... That was fun transmitting live pictures across to each other.. A big thing then, now even a 2 year old does it to me on Facetime / Skype :(

OH BETTER ADD IT...... G1FTJ...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Two yr old? image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I had a Ship portable radio licence that I have since surrendered, a Coastal Station Radio licence and a VTS operators licence, never got round to taking my RSGB ticket. I see you can do the foundation licence as a start, I might have a go at that soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Took my 2 mtr licence back in 1979, but never got to take the full band and morse test. Still have my ships radio licence, but the boat itself isn't licenced any more. In fact, still got a Realistic Pro 34 hand held scanning receiver here, if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for it.

radioshack-pro-34.jpg

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think I had one of those, it was very capable. I have an Icom IC-R20 and a couple of Uniden Bearcats. (125 and 3500)
    I have an Icom comms receiver coming this week, so will have to wait till Mrs A goes out so I can string up a few antennas around the garden.
    I still have my Icom hand held marine transceiver too, though never use it now.

8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Still got mine on the boat, plus a 60 channel marine base unit. Never used, just gathering dust.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CeeJay13

CeeJay13 Read Only Funster

I have an SDR (Software Defined Radio) dongle that I plug into my PC and dabble with occasionally. Did the RSGB course many years ago, but found cars more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

If any of you would like to experience Ham radio , there is a program called HAMSPHERE that you can down load and have a try at Amateur radio ,you do not need a liscense to do this as it is a simulator and is a great way to become familiar with the lexicon if ham radio ,such as QSO? etc.
    At present my equipment is sitting in a box ,but one of the hobbies that i will combine with motorhoming is ham radio , its good fun and you do not need to be a rocket scientist to get your foundation liscence ,the exam was designed with 12 year olds in mind.:eek::)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Oh dear, I have no chance then!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

I have a couple of hand held scanning receivers and listen in on 144-146 mtr, if that's quiet I listen to the local airfield.

13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I was listening to a group of amateurs yesterday using the Dover repeater.
    Having second thoughts about taking my foundation licence. They weren't the most exciting people I have ever heard.....
    Think I'll stick with my Simple UK licence.......
    I did listen to some interesting short wave frequencies though, some truckers in the USA phoning in to a local station, teach yourself Chinese and Americans commentating on UK football games.
    I have a new wide and antenna arriving today which should pull a few more stations in.

14. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

In my sailing days I would listen to the various frequency s , that led me to amatuer radio .
    I have a yaesu transceiver with various antenna , ham radio can be fun

15. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I've got one of those as well although mine is better than yours :p as it's a Pro-37.
    Haven't used it for ages as I use a Uniden 3500 these days.
    In fact as I found this thread I was listening to the Yanks burbling away to Mildenhall.
    The Uniden sits on my desk and is connected to a roof mounted antenna which gives me excellent range.
    Here's a picture of them both on my desk.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Ahem........The only difference with the Pro 37, is that you can listen to three more pro's with it. 34 Pro's not enough for you then? What are you, some sort of sexual tyrannosaurus? :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I bought a 3500 last week, though I am having a bit of a head melt trying to understand the best way to programme it.
    I managed to get a new system and one group covering local airports ( I can pick up all the London Airports from Dover with just the radio's telescopic aerial) using FreeSCAN, but I really have no idea what I am doing and how to set it up properly. I have an Icom IC -R20 that I can set up easily enough just putting frequencies into appropriate bands.
    Clarky, it looks like you know what you are doing with yours......

18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Naw, he just does what all us simpleton old gits do with stuff more modern then the abacus, watch someone else do it on YouTube.........(y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. HARESBY

HARESBY Read Only Funster

Now,a little voice tells me that there are no 'watchers' now and that an AM Cb can be used in the UK without worry. This is because they are used on the continent widely.

20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think Since 2014, AM and SSB can now be used legally here and in the EU. I believe the channels are now the same as USA CB channels and there are no restrictions on aerials.
    Here's the Ofcom paper