Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi everyone, after loads of help and advice from you all, we have at last got a short list of the MH's that tick all the boxes for us (we will be buying a used one), just wandered which make and model you would go for if you were in our position for instance, best manufacturers, any good or bad points from anyone who has any of the below:-

Benimar Europe 6000ST
Benimar Anthus
Hymer B Classic 595
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Elddis Autostratus EB
Elddis Autoquest 145
Lunar Champ A670R
Swift Gazelle F63

Shell :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just wandered which make and model you would go for if you were in our position for instance, best manufacturers, any good or bad points from anyone who has any of the below:-

Benimar Europe 6000ST
Benimar Anthus
Hymer B Classic 595
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Elddis Autostratus EB
Elddis Autoquest 145
Lunar Champ A670R
Swift Gazelle F63

For me it would be 'No contest' .. the Hymer B 595

German engineering and build quality, made to last :thumb:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Based on your shortlist there is no debate in my mind. If you can find the Hymer in good condition, grab it.
I would say that of course, as a satisfied Hymer owner. They are very well built and whilst the interior decor may appear a little plain inside compared with some of the more florid English styles, everything is solid and functional, and to my eyes, preferable for its simplicity.

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Totally agree Hymer every time from that list.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks guys, keep it coming, maybe I should have done a first second and third cos I know how popular the Hymers are and the model we want we might never see one for sale lol.

First?
Second?
Third?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi everyone, after loads of help and advice from you all, we have at last got a short list of the MH's that tick all the boxes for us (we will be buying a used one), just wandered which make and model you would go for if you were in our position for instance, best manufacturers, any good or bad points from anyone who has any of the below:-

Hymer B Classic 595

Shell,

Hymer 595? is this not a caravan ?

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Not that I'm aware of Dave, its a MH with a lounge at the back and dinnette at the front, kitchen in middle. Maybe there is a caravan as well ????

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Shell

May be worthwhile looking at the German market place, more to choose from and the Germans are factitious about servicing and looking after their vans ..

try a search here Link Removed

If nothing else it may give you some more ideas ..

here is a nice example of Hymer B595

Link Removed

Upvote 0

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
I have owned a Benimar and it was great.

But now own a Hymer and would not change it for the world ( other than another Hymer) . Ours is a 1999 and the build quality is just great, not sure if the modern ones are the same but I would expect so.

Ours is a B544 and so does not have the flatish front part of the roof which always seemed to me to be a potential spot for water to get in. The B544 we have has a fully rounded top which does not have those joins

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What about this as an alternative? Basically the same layout, but it's a B Starline - they were a bit higher-specced than the B Classic and you get a RWD Merc chassis. It's a bit over your budget, but Peter Hambilton appears to have the same van listed in both his Motorhome Sales and Private Sales sections - it's cheaper in the private section. The latter is where he sells vans on commission for customers. You might be able to negotiate something. It is probably plated at 3,800 kg, but as the MIRO is below 3,000 kg you could have it re-plated to 3,500 kg and still get a clear 500 kg payload.

>>Link Removed<<

Philip

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Phillip, had a look at that one but I can't see if it has a dinette or not on the picture properly and have looked through google and can't find any others...... and tbh we weren't thinking of getting anything downplated, maybe its something to think about but then it will probably open up a whole new world of looking for more that have our layout that we could downplate and we are quite happy with the ones we have found, BUT because it is a Hymer if anyone knows if it has the layout we are looking for then we would add it to our list as used Hymers seem to be few and far between and have heard some fantastic comments about them !

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No it does not have a dinette. Here is the layout and details from the 2002 Hymer catalogue.

Philip

Attachments

• Starline 550.jpg
    Starline 550.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Shell

May be worthwhile looking at the German market place, more to choose from and the Germans are factitious about servicing and looking after their vans ..

try a search here Link Removed

If nothing else it may give you some more ideas ..

here is a nice example of Hymer B595

Link Removed

(Fun)nily enough mobile.de is how we found ours.

Upvote 0

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
It would be the Hymer for us to although we have never found a hymer that we personally like, we think they are often dull n stayed, aimed at an older age group we suspect

Although the quality is without question, and after all the quality is most important we prefer Eura Mobil or cathargo, although Cathargo come at a price, we have our Eura Mobil in the classifieds its the 680sb, why not have a look and maybe you'll add Eura Mobil to your list::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks to a user on another forum we have another contender that fits our check list : Compass Cruiser 750 :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back