Shocked by difference in fuel consumption (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
After all this advice, I think I'll go and take the m/h out just for a fun run this afternoon, it hasnt been started for a good few weeks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't believe you, I've never seen a Fiat speedo that accurate, they are normally +10-12%. :D:D:D
At speedo 72mph mine is travelling at satnav 65mph - which is my normal cruising speed. At that, towing the Smartie on a trailer, I see 21mpg to 23mpg. 2005 Hymer 2.8jtd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AlanDiggers

Free Member
Jul 8, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
ths year
Hello All

I am new to motorhoming, having bought my Rapido in May 2015 and used it only occasionally due to a persistent problem with it not starting. Anyway that is resolved now.:hot:

I have had a remap on my Fiat Ducky 2.3 L and it makes for better all round performance and the mpg is hovering around 30-32.
Off to the garage to fill up the tank for some real mpg tests:wine:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All these amazing mpg figures !
I am really rather jealous ... On the way down here to Beni we averaged ( not on the computer but actually noting and working out our selves ) 20.6 mpg

I have bought with me the latest offering fromTorquing of Diesel and will be running back home with that fitted.
I shall do the same calculations and report back on mpg achieved with it fitted

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot to mention..
Chieftain tag, 2.3 lump, 5.25 tonnes plated, fully freighted, with. Cruising speed of 54 mph as set on the gps not the speedo

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Well jel is me. Although I have only done 803 miles so far, my trip comp says 18 mpg. Massive overhead cab though and only driven in this recent bought of windy weather. I only drive at sat nav speed of 56 ish - can't see speedo anyhow. Hopefully this will change and improve soon. 2.3 x290 euro 5+. No chance of soothing up as always changing down on hills:rolleyes:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Hi Martin
To be accurate the mpg at 70mpg was only 19
It was the off motorway bits, plus any other slow bits at either end that increased the average to 23

Regards
70mpg?...You wish!

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
All these amazing mpg figures !
I am really rather jealous ... On the way down here to Beni we averaged ( not on the computer but actually noting and working out our selves ) 20.6 mpg

I have bought with me the latest offering fromTorquing of Diesel and will be running back home with that fitted.
I shall do the same calculations and report back on mpg achieved with it fitted
I think a lot more of us are jealous that you're in benidorm ! , I'm just drying out after walking dog . good luck with return leg !

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I am still amazed at the speed some enjoy driving at even when towing. I have my trailer with me most times and at my normal speed of 55ish i see only a small drop in mpg 1 or 2 mpg depending on the road. And speeding with a trailer on is a really good way to get pulled.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I use this road trip app on my iphone were I record each fill up and it gives yearly costs, mpg etc. These figures are for a 2015 Rapido A class 3.5t with the Fiat 2.3 150bhp, not bad mpg IMO as the engine is new, I drive at the speed limit and it was blowing a gale every time we went away in it.

IMG_0118.png

Now compare the above figures with another of my vehicles which also has the aerodynamics of a 3 bed semi, the Land rover Puma Defender

IMG_0119.png

I only use where available BP ultimate fuel as an ex diesel mechanic this fuel does everything I need without adding any additives, extra lubrication and keeps the injectors and fuelling sytstem clean plus the engine clatter is reduced on the Defender.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am still amazed at the speed some enjoy driving at even when towing. I have my trailer with me most times and at my normal speed of 55ish i see only a small drop in mpg 1 or 2 mpg depending on the road. And speeding with a trailer on is a really good way to get pulled.
Always worries me in France as they tow at 130kph ! Bad enough with a car on its own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back