Shieldaig

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by gordoncbrown, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Hi , I have been given very rough directions to a place at Shieldaig that is a nice place for a night or two. Just a water hose and an honesty box. Does anyone have any more info on it?

Thanks

2. keith

keith Funster

One of my favourite places. Just as you were told only water WC and the most magnificent views over Loch Shieldaig. Pub in the village.
    Google Map of Shieldaig

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Magical place. The 'campsite' is above the village with an honesty box at the entrance and there is a public loo down the hill; very clean and well kept - it had hot water when we were there a few years ago.
    My son and I climbed Ben Alligin (which lies across the loch - I think it is visible from the campsite) whilst wife and daughter stayed behind and sunbathed. Local lads sold them fresh mackerel which they barbecued. I think we got the best deal as the view from the top of the mountain over to the outer isles was unforgettable (and I don't like fish!)
    But that was probably 10 years ago; the weather was wonderful and we camped in a tent for a few days. Two or three years back, we stopped by again in the motorhome but it was raining stair rods and the campsite looked a bit too soggy for my liking so we moved on to Lochcarron.

Attached Files:

4. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

A fantastic area also worth the drive to Torridon past some brilliant scenery and three magnificent mountains Beinn Alligan , Liathac , and Beinn Eighe then along to Kinlochewe and Loch Maree one of the most beautiful Lochs in Scotland . There is a free camp site at Torridon but for tents only and a Caravan Club site at Kinlochewe . Some excellent walking to be had too for all capabilities at the Beinn Eighe nature reserve.