LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Been with these 2 years now, we rang them in summer to say we now had a properly fitted Thatch system, (growler, tracker etc from Vanbitz). They said too late to tweak policy and to ring them on renewal. Hubby has done so today and been told no reduction in policy at all.

We have a 2011 Ford Transit Jumbo and with Shield will pay £396 per annum. Due to renew in 2 weeks. This does include UK and Euro breakdown cover and to be honest they were pretty good when we had our repair needed in Montelimar during June hols. However, disappointed with no reduction.

Is this a good price for van insurance ? Or are we better going elsewhere with another good company ?

Thanks guys :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I was quoted £295 by AIB for my Tranny based MH this week based on 5k miles per year including Euro travel, breakdown and legal cover.
Price inc. Funster discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Might be worth trying Safeguard.
And as it's presumably a Transit Mk.7 it's worth ensuring that you change the Ford Tibbe lock cylinder for something more secure and inhibit access to the OBD port. The Transit Mk.7 is extremely vulnerable to theft. Yes, the Growler is loud and it's not deactivated by the central unlocking, but you may not always be parked where someone will take appropriate action.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And even if they did give you the average discount it would only amount to £19.80 per year
If your happy, and you have proved it works why change for £20

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although it can be a bit of a faff, I would now get several quotes from other companies and then tell Shield what the lowest comparable quote was. I believe that it is fairly common practice to do this and usually your present insurer will try to match other quotes. If they don't, you still win as you have a better offer to turn to.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I am with shield with a 2007 Relay LWB self build only paid just over half that! Seems a lot,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is this a good price for van insurance ?

I would say no, that's not a good price.

I pay around £300 for a 2014 Rapido A class with full UK and EU breakdown and recovery.

That's with Comfort. I was going to go elsewhere because they use Aviva to underwrite the policy and they're hopeless if you have to claim but when I saw that renewal figure I couldn't be bothered to spend any time on it. I'll just put up with the monkeys in Norwich again if it comes to it

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Might be worth trying Safeguard.
And as it's presumably a Transit Mk.7 it's worth ensuring that you change the Ford Tibbe lock cylinder for something more secure and inhibit access to the OBD port. The Transit Mk.7 is extremely vulnerable to theft. Yes, the Growler is loud and it's not deactivated by the central unlocking, but you may not always be parked where someone will take appropriate action.
We've got the full tracking system in place too and the non-starter. So even with the original key you can't start our van unless we give it the code via our phones. Shld someone get their hands on our keys, we can still stop them on route by immobilising the van remotely and track them at the same time for recovery. We learned the hard way last year after our ignition was drilled out :eek:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A while back, I was with Saga and decided to have a tracker professionally fitted. When I told Saga, they put UP my premium as I had modified my van. That was the same day that I joined Shield.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
£240 with CC (Devitts) 2015 A Class so I'd shop around a bit. To get that you need add on CC subscription but with all these things it is the policy that counts. I have found that some policies are very restrictive on how long you can leave your pride and joy before notification is required (36 hours on some policies) which is an issue for us.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Paid £375 at Comfort for 2015 Hymer Exis i698 with full uk and European breakdown.with new for old replacement if written off.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
With Devitts you have to buy some European breakdown insurance don't you ?which puts up overall cost

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back