LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We ordered a new Auto Sleepers Broadway FB at the NEC show on October 16th last year. I had noted the rave reviews on the forum for VanBitz and their Growler alarm, so within days had booked it in to have one fitted today.

The new MH rolled off the production line as promised on Ist March. It then seemed to take a while to be delivered to Marquis in Northampton but it eventually arrived. As of Tuesday of this week (the intended delivery date) they had done the PDI and registered it on 31st March to avoid the new tax rules : which may or may not have been necessary given that it is being up-plated to 3,650 Kg but better safe than sorry. My understanding is that this was advisable in case we sell within 5 years to someone who wants to down-plate, which is possible given that we C1 licence holders seem to be a dying breed!

Marquis had not actually completed the up-plating or fitted the TV but these were things we could live with until we returned from a 4 night stay at VanBitz/Cornish Farm.

Then the problem hit home. The present trade-in van is registered in my wife's name. I checked with her about three weeks ago that she had the logbook and she couldn't find it. No problem thinks I, it doesn't take long to get a replacement. A new one was duly ordered on 20th March and posted to us by DVLA on the 22nd, so should have been with us in plenty of time. The problem is that it went astray in the post and to this day has not arrived. We then had a frustrating wait until Tuesday of this week, being the earliest date on which a second replacement could be ordered.

I knew that it was improbable that we would be able to make our appointment with VanBitz today. This worried me because (a) I hate letting people down (b) VanBitz have such a good reputation that they have quite a long waiting list and (c) I had already told my insurers that the alarm was being fitted today.

At this point I must give a plug to VanBitz, who were wonderful. The friendly folk there said not to worry and within hours they managed to arrange a swap of dates with another customer. This is great for all concerned. VanBitz are not inconvenienced, the other customer gets his alarm fitted early and I only have to wait four weeks until mine can be fitted rather than going right to the end of the queue. So top marks to VanBitz for customer service!

My concerns about the insurance were unnecessary. Although I went to great lengths to tell the insurers the date on which the alarm was being fitted, the type of alarm and the Thatcham approval number which VanBitz gave me it seems that they failed to make a note of any of it and so were unconcerned when I told them of the delay. A rare case of their incompetence working to my advantage!

The good news is that the second replacement logbook dropped through the letterbox this morning and the new MH is coming on Monday. I can start to get excited at last! It is a shame that we are not down in glorious Somerset this weekend, given the beautiful weather but I mustn't grumble. We are lucky to be having a shiny new MH and for that we must be grateful.

I have just realised how long I have droned on for, so my humble apologies to all who have read this far and are still awake!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And now you will find the old V5 and the other replacement will arrive the same day.........

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wonderful news congratulations! Enjoy your trips away!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Who are you. Who am I .Why am I still here. LOl Please have some great times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Stretto Boy Like yourselves, I ordered my Auto Sleeper at October's NEC a couple of days earlier, on the Friday and like yourselves, I'm getting the van next week.
The excitement is building, but I have to contain mine until Thursday, when I collect from Marquis NE.
Best of luck for Monday's handover (y)

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Kingham : let's raise a glass to both of us! After all this time, and the recent problems, I can't wait for Monday to arrive. It probably sounds daft but I may spend a last sentimental night in our present van at home tonight. Actually, it would be better than it sounds. My wife has horses, so we live in a fairly isolated spot in the country and have a 3 acre field. In fact, if it wasn't for the restrictive covenants on the deeds, I have often thought it would make a nice CS to eek out our pension when I retire!

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Know how your feeling, we're picking up our new Frankia on 27th of this month so I've got to go through the same with our insurance etc, but atleast the log book side is not a problem.
Enjoy your new toy

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Kingham : let's raise a glass to both of us! After all this time, and the recent problems, I can't wait for Monday to arrive. It probably sounds daft but I may spend a last sentimental night in our present van at home tonight. Actually, it would be better than it sounds. My wife has horses, so we live in a fairly isolated spot in the country and have a 3 acre field. In fact, if it wasn't for the restrictive covenants on the deeds, I have often thought it would make a nice CS to eek out our pension when I retire!
:cheers: Glass will be duly raised at a more respectable hour :D

I haven't had the frustration of delays that you've experienced, my purchase was entirely dependent on my retiring, the date being set in stone many years ago.

Tuesday is my last official work day, although I've been using leave up for ages. I'm hoping my money will be through the same day, or at the latest Wednesday, when some of it will be going straight back out to Marquis on a CHAPS, for them to release the van on Thursday (y)

It can all go smoothly, or it may not, but any delay with the banking side of things will take me beyond the two Easter bank holidays, so I'm hoping for smoooooth !

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Good luck Kingham : hope it all goes well for you. I had confirmation that our new Auto Sleepers Broadway is coming this afternoon, so it should be here in a couple of hours or so. I really am starting to get excited now. I may mix a Pink Champagne to celebrate I cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons, so it will be Soda Water and pink grapefruit cordial But I'm getting a new MH, so who cares

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Stretto Boy Thank you and that's excellent news on yours, but by coming, do you mean at your dealership, or at your home ?

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Kingham : they are delivering it to me at home and then taking my trade-in Chausson away. Being a bit sentimental, we slept in the Chausson at home last night for the last time! Mind you, we live in the country and have a paddock, so better than it sounds. Almost counting the minutes now

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Is it there yet!? Is it there yet!? Is it there yet!?
ZnL4gPHcesnAsPXGA4EB9uMKNx3ZHEUfph6zdm8r0RoCg-VctB3jeN5ypsxGuyX0Dw=w300

Blimey, I'm excited for you.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Not quite as excited as you . But my 27 year old van has just got through its MOT. With quite a lot of work done to it. But we know how you feel we have had this from new. Please have as much fun as we have had in ours.. Happy times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back