Are they any good ?

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
There are several of these around at the shows each with different technical specs so it's important to know exactly what you are buying and how it compares with the others.

I bought one at Malvern from "Torquing Diesel", a company based in Berkshire. This particular one plugs into the common rail of the diesel injection system and does not affect the ECU settings. It is also programmable for a number of vehicles so it can be removed and fitted to another vehicle. It was sold with a money back trial period and with the promise that it was easy to fit. It was agreed however, that they would fit it on the showground for me and they duly turned up. (The fitting was on my car - a Citroen Berlingo).

Unfortunately, the "easy fitting" was not so easy as the common rail on that particular engine is half way down the back of the block and needed a lot of dismantling to get at it. I was given the option of having it fitted by my local garage - at extra cost of course - or having a refund which is what I did. It was a pity because they do appear to improve the torque of the engine and also have a slight improvement on fuel economy without affecting wear and tear on engine components such as the turbo which I understand can happen if the alternative of an engine remap can sometimes do.

They were apologetic but said that some cars do present fitting problems but that the vast majority of motor homes are not a problem!!

You pays your money and takes your choice but my advice would be to make sure that you know exactly what you are getting and how it compares to the alternatives.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are they any good ?

I believe not as good as a re-map.

Because they work outside of the ECU computer all they can do is fiddle with the electric signals, squirt a bit more fuel or alter the fuel pressure in a crude way. Re-map and if the job is done properly they can fine tune the fuelling and get it dead right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back