Shelving wardrobe? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
So far we haven't hung anything up in the wardrobe and tend to pile things on top of each other - boots in a bag, bag of towels, small rucksack etc. We are thinking it would be better to shelve the wardrobe but worried about damaging the outside by going through the walls with the screws. Has anyone else done this and have any tips? On one side of the wardrobe is the doorway to the outside and on the other is the shower room.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is exactly what we did in the Miller..
But I wanted to keep the shelving as light as possible, so I used cut up bread trays with pine slider supports

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0997.PNG
We have one of these

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
How do you attach the ikea hanging storage? The rail on our motorhome goes from front to back rather than side to side.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Have used the cheap plastic drawer units you buy in shops for about £15 and used part of another to make the stack higher . Take the top off and they slot in. Useful as you can take drawers in to your home to pack.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
We have a softwood frame with ply shelves that are fitted tight to, and therefore steadied by, the wardrobe walls - no need for screws in the van woodwork.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've done this a few times now, I use the shelf supports from kitchen units where you only have to drill one small hole and then pop in the support, so just 4 holes, this obviously depends on how good the panelling is inside the wardrobes though! Also I've used the plastic drawer units, stacking crates and also large vegetable baskets.

Some photos of what I did in our previous PVC:

8 - Wardrobe shelves.JPG
9 - Wardrobe shelf support.JPG
11 - Locker shelf.JPG
11 - Washroom units.JPG

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How do you attach the ikea hanging storage? The rail on our motorhome goes from front to back rather than side to side.
Ah that would be trickier then, there is a strong fabric band which has Velcro on so easy to put in and remove the unit without any drilling for fixings.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Have used the cheap plastic drawer units you buy in shops for about £15 and used part of another to make the stack higher . Take the top off and they slot in. Useful as you can take drawers in to your home to pack.
Any photos, Please

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Like the ones in Minxy Girl's loo but as wide as your wardrobe will take.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Eddystone If you have Pound Stretcher, B&M, Home Bargains type shops near you have a shuftie as there are loads of different types of plastic drawer units out there so there should be something that would fit ... just remember to measure the actual opening of the wardrobe (allowing for the edge of the door if necessary) not the actual internal width, so you can get the drawers open! You'll also need to think about a way to keep the drawers shut whilst you travel - I just had some elastic cord stretched across the front of each drawer which was attached at each side and I just lifted it up to open the drawer ... worked a treat!

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Thank you. I'll have a look.
We currently use a hanging unit but the shelves are starting to bend. The Ikea one is too deep for our wardrobe. The door won't shut. We can't remember where we bought our current one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you. I'll have a look.
We currently use a hanging unit but the shelves are starting to bend. The Ikea one is too deep for our wardrobe. The door won't shut. We can't remember where we bought our current one.
That's the problem with hanging ones, I had one at first but it kept moving around and dumping stuff on the bottom of the wardrobe! As I use my wardrobe as larger (we fold the clothes and put them in the locker) it wasn't any good for that anyway as it wasn't strong enough, hence why I shelved it out properly - it also means I can get more in too than I would with a hanging one or even a drawer unit, also I can simply take out my shelves if I want to and can use it as a wardrobe again without any bulky units to store.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
so where do you actually hang things that need hanging, like shirts and
dresses

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
so where do you actually hang things that need hanging, like shirts and
dresses
We don't take stuff that needs hanging up ... no shirts and the only dresses/skirts I have don't crease when folded so no problems.:)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We don't take stuff that needs hanging up ... no shirts and the only dresses/skirts I have don't crease when folded so no problems.:)
I have stuff hanging in the garage that doesnt fit in the Wardrobe.. its amazing how different folk have totally different needs.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I just had some elastic cord stretched across the front of each drawer which was attached at each side and I just lifted it up to open the drawer ... worked a treat!
Minxy Girl you are a mind full of information, how did Motor home fun ever survive without you. I for one think the information you give on this site is exemplary, and I for one love learning about the different ways you come up with solutions for each and every problem you face.
You are truly a MHer artist, if there ever was one and I for one thank you as I'm sure every one else does and follows you with deep interest of what you will come up with next.
I await your next problem solving information with interest as I'm sure most of us will.
Beat Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back