Rally Chat Shell Island September (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Aarghhhhh ..we might not be able to come.

We've been offered the gig of our lives which may take place on Sept 5th and we're already booked for the 12/13th.

Heyho..maybe we'll get there the year after?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We had a great time at Shell Island last September. We shall be going again on the 4th of September 2015 . Many funsters expressed interest in visiting Shell island and asked me to let them know if we were to go again . Sooooo This is not a rally just letting funsters know it is my birthday on the 7th of Sept and any Funsters who are on the island at the time will be made very welcome outside our motorhome for a bit of a barbie and drinks :) :) :) The island charges daily per person not per unit and have concessions . It pays not to book on line as there is a booking fee. There is a lot of room so no need to worry about being full however there are tides that completely cut off the island so please check times of arrival do not coincide with the tides.
Regards Kate x
Sign us up Kate, what could be nicer; September, Shell island and your birthday! Really something to look forwards to.

Ginny

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Aarghhhhh ..we might not be able to come.

We've been offered the gig of our lives which may take place on Sept 5th and we're already booked for the 12/13th.

Heyho..maybe we'll get there the year after?
:( very sad but also very happy for you Janine :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A bit too soon to say yes or no - but my birthday is the 6th
Just been told that there are other plans for my birthday :) but it is a secret

I was looking at the Shell Island site and it says camping no caravans but there are motorhomes in the photos. Also is there EHU?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No solar???
No and too iffy to be relied on. We have considered solar but if it rains for two days we would be desperate.

Martin needs overnight medical equipment and has an emergency battery pack that will do 6 hours from full charge so we can do a single night off mains but no longer. The battery pack needs to be recharged from 230v.

I don't want to wake up with a corpse.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
No and too iffy to be relied on. We have considered solar but if it rains for two days we would be desperate.

Martin needs overnight medical equipment and has an emergency battery pack that will do 6 hours from full charge so we can do a single night off mains but no longer. The battery pack needs to be recharged from 230v.

Sorry to hear you wont be able to come , sounds like you are going to have a nice Birthday :).

Please Funsters remember this is not a Rally, you just happen to be there at the same time ;) ;) ;)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..

they can charge batteries at the shop on shell island if that helps..
it would be such a shame for you to miss out on the gathering there..

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
they can charge batteries at the shop on shell island if that helps..
it would be such a shame for you to miss out on the gathering there..

Thanks for the concern. It's a long way for us to come if we have to be back by the 6th for whatever else has been planned......

It takes 24 hours to recharge the power pack (they don't call it a battery) ....... we can do one night away but no more :( and then I don't sleep as I am constantly listening out for the machine. I did enquire about getting a second emergency power pack but it's more than a bit beyond steep.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Kate

I reckon Jeff and I will be on the Island at that particular time, so we will be able partake in having a beach party or three!
So, thats us too for the Non Rally! btw never been before so will our little rig get on? Shell Island is def on Jeff's to do/see list for next year! xx

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Kate

I reckon Jeff and I will be on the Island at that particular time, so we will be able partake in having a beach party or three!
So, thats us too for the Non Rally! btw never been before so will our little rig get on? Shell Island is def on Jeff's to do/see list for next year! xx[/QUOTE

When they open up again in the spring i will check for you. Unless Snowbird would know . Will be great if you can :)
When they open up again in the spring i will check for you. Unless Snowbird would know . Will be great if you can :)KATE XXX

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Thanks for the concern. It's a long way for us to come if we have to be back by the 6th for whatever else has been planned......

It takes 24 hours to recharge the power pack (they don't call it a battery) ....... we can do one night away but no more :( and then I don't sleep as I am constantly listening out for the machine. I did enquire about getting a second emergency power pack but it's more than a bit beyond steep.

Wouldn't a Genertor help, might be worth getting one

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Wouldn't a Genertor help, might be worth getting one
We have one. It's a pain. Noisy, dirty and needs to be re-fuelled every two hours.
You certainly couldn't run it at night.
Then you have to cart around fuel and panic if you run out.
Only used it once in the m/h, now it lives in the garage for emergency use when the power at home gores out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It takes 24 hours to recharge the power pack (they don't call it a battery) ......

Did we not sort this out in another thread or does that thread need a bump ?

Call it a power pack and charge more.

But seriously, anything medical costs a fortune in manufacturer's liability insurance so that is part of the high cost. Unless it's on ebay from China and they don't give a damn. Might be just as good, might not, but it will be a lot cheaper.

Your "power pack" may take 24 hrs to charge. A small(ish) lead acid battery could be 5 hours ( or less ) which you carry back to van and charge the power pack via an inverter. If I remember correctly you never gave the wattage of the device or it's charger.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Don't think you can run generators on shell island. If you find that you can run them can you please park on the other side of the island please lol

Funster's please note If you are reading this thread for the first time
Please note this is not a rally its just that you maybe on the island at the same time :xwink::xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@Puddleduck , the campsite shop offers a recharging facility for leisure batteries.

Do you have electric hook ups?
We do not have any electric hook up's on site, but there is a leisure battery charging facility at the camp shop (for a fee).

Noise
No portable generators allowed. Radios and Televisions must have volume controls adjusted so as not to disturb other campers. Radios off by 11.00pm

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck , the campsite shop offers a recharging facility for leisure batteries.

Did we not sort this out in another thread or does that thread need a bump ?

Yes we did. I came to the conclusion it wouldn't work for more than a single night and as long as nothing else much was run and I'd be very nervous with such a slim margin of error.

3.25 A, 20 V and needs to run for a minimum of 10 hours overnight and up to 3 hours during the day.

At present we have a single leisure battery and have been told not to run the equipment from it. Long technical discussion which I didn't follow but hubby did.

Anyway it's a no go for us :(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
3.25 A, 20 V and needs to run for a minimum of 10 hours overnight and up to 3 hours during the day.

3.25 x 20 = 65 watts. 13 hours = 65 x 13 = 845 watt/hours. That's how much energy you need.

A stock 110Ah leisure battery has 55 x 12.5 = 687 watt/hours available.

I can confirm you have a serious problem within a MH. No way you are going to carry that lot to be charged in reception.

Fuel cell or generator if you want independence.

The good news is, you can charge lead acid batteries in 5 hours without killing them quickly, so 2 leisure batteries and a genny run for 5 hours and you are independent and have a decent safety margin.

With a quiet inoffensive fuel cell the world is you oyster.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
By why should our problems upset dozens of other people Joy? We know the rules and know we can't abide by them so we won't go.

Once one person has an exception (for whatever reason) everyone else wants one.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
By why should our problems upset dozens of other people Joy? We know the rules and know we can't abide by them so we won't go.

Once one person has an exception (for whatever reason) everyone else wants one.
It wouldn't upset me if it were for medical reasons... :( Would rather have you there and a bit of a rumble.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back