Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
After looking at the weather forecast, we are probably going to ditch Skeggy on the weekend and head to the warmer climates.

Quite fancy the Welsh coast and in particular Shell Island.

I've read mixed reviews, but it seems if you find the right place to pitch then it's a cracking (almost) wild camp (there is no EHU).

So, has anyone been, if so any tips on the best place to pitch?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hope Snowbird see's this its one of his favorite haunts.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Been there 3 times never pitched the same place twice. Just have a drive around and stop when you get a view you like:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
One of my favourites too

First went there in the 60s when there was nothing but sand and water points. Now it's the biggest site in Europe - over 800 pitches but still good. Find a little spot by the sea, there are several little beaches taking about 3 or 4 units, and stay there. Lots of places to walk, and lots of great sunsets - here's one in 2007, on my first ever trip in a friend's campervan, which prompted me to buy my own! There is no EHU, right, and it can get busy at weekends when they come up en masse from Stafford and Brum, but I love it. Have a great time, the weather is looking good!

Catherine

Attachments

• DSCF1734.jpg
    DSCF1734.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 21
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As said previously drive around until you find your preferred spot. No EHU but they do have shower blocks (which were very clean last time I was there) Shop, Bar & Restaurant. Not a bad place for safe cycling. Small harbour at the end of the 'island'. Excellent views of Harlech castle. Good walks for all the family. Can be a bit noisy with youngsters in tents but we've all been young once. A good site for the money. If the weather is good a fantastic place - weather bad I find it a bit boring.

Not sure of your age but they do a discount for older campers.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Shell Island - my old teenage camping haunt in the 70s. Must go back there in the MH some time. Have they still got those old stone-built toilet blocks? There used to be a notice hand-painted on each toilet door that said 'Please leave this toilet clean as others wish to use it', and some wag always used to scratch out the u of 'use' and replace the e with in h. Oh how we laughed.

I'm old enough to remember when they got sophisticated and built the bar in the main building, some time around 1976-77.

If you want quiet head off towards the line of dunes at the southern end - can you still wander among them or are they fenced off now? Splendid isolation.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My favourite pitch is just opposite the shower block, on top of the hill. Best sunsets in Europe and if your lucky you can watch the dolfins cruising up and down the bay. As said weekends can be noisy with youngsters.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
.....hmm, here's my review of Shell Island.......

Glanllyn Campsite at Lake Bala was lovely, need I say anymore?

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
.....hmm, here's my review of Shell Island.......

Glanllyn Campsite at Lake Bala was lovely, need I say anymore?[/QUOTE

You may remember we were going to Black rock Sands, Hadn't been for years,
Here's my review.
If you like Vauxall Corsa's with boom boxes till midnight, smelly barbie's& WW11
POW camp facilities,then this is the place to go, or did we just pick a bad weekend.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We stayed Friday night, but only because it was already getting a bit late to move on.

A friend has just mentioned that it has the nickname Shellsuit Island, which at first I laughed at, then realised it's an apt name! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
You may remember we were going to Black rock Sands, Hadn't been for years,
Here's my review.
If you like Vauxall Corsa's with boom boxes till midnight, smelly barbie's& WW11
POW camp facilities,then this is the place to go, or did we just pick a bad weekend.:Eeek:

I just think this is the state the UK is in unfortunatly. There are more and more, let's say "less desirable" people and when the weather's good, they head for the coast.

That being said, staying inland and going to a lake location normally doesn't compute in their unintelligent booze/drug fuelled brains, so places like Laka Bala are such a contrast.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry you didn't like it!

But all my experiences of Shell Island have been good! You were probably unlucky because of the excellent weather!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont normaly go over the weekend as its too busy. Best time is Monday to Friday. They have always had good security and if any problems they do bite. It obviously attracts the younger generation as its cheap but I can say with all honesty I have never had a problem there or seen a shell suit for 20 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back