Shell Island Closure Threat (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Can't do a link but story in North Wales online newspaper the Daily Post saying Shell Island is in danger of possible closure due to loss of emergency excess over the air field if the space port goes ahead.
If you go to the story there is and online petition

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive signed it because we use it and think its a brilliant facility. Unlike most campsites you can turn up at any time without booking and get yourself a good spot.

I cant see why this is a massive problem though as the air sea rescue base at valley is very close (in flight time)

OP
OP
maxsdad
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Ive signed it because we use it and think its a brilliant facility. Unlike most campsites you can turn up at any time without booking and get yourself a good spot.

I cant see why this is a massive problem though as the air sea rescue base at valley is very close (in flight time)
It's even closer now moved to Caernafon airport last year

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've signed. Can't imagine not being able to visit. Have had so many happy times there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I believe this is one of the locations in the UK bidding for the space port. There was an item on the Cornwall radio a couple of weeks ago about Newquay airport putting in a bid.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You cant miss what you never had.....never been their what is the attraction...

Quite simply one of the best campsites in the UK.
Morocco 022.jpg
Morocco 012.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You cant miss what you never had.....never been their what is the attraction...

That you can turn up even on the busiest day of the year and stand a pretty good chance of getting a spot like the pics, I'm not even bothered about it being on here, it could take every last mh on this forum and still have space for the loners.

Where else in UK can you do that? - seriously I do want to know because I will use it.

Jon

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Ambulance could fly in and they could buy a fire engine maybe. I'm sure that'd cover most situations.
Just a thought!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@buttons nature at its best. Campsite rules mean you are camped long way from other campers unless with friends, there is a long stretch of flat desert island beach with safe swimming, there are sand dunes, there are rocky beaches and a boat harbour if you enjoy rock pools ... as LONG AS THE WEATHER IS GOOD. However, whatever the weather it is a haven for wildlife .. when I get home from Chester I will put you the link to several albums on here from it if you wish. Don't be put off by the groups as they sre close as chose to be. . Oh and it has the most AMAZING sunsets imagineable.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
@buttons nature at its best. Campsite rules mean you are camped long way from other campers unless with friends, there is a long stretch of flat desert island beach with safe swimming, there are sand dunes, there are rocky beaches and a boat harbour if you enjoy rock pools ... as LONG AS THE WEATHER IS GOOD. However, whatever the weather it is a haven for wildlife .. when I get home from Chester I will put you the link to several albums on here from it if you wish. Don't be put off by the groups as they sre close as chose to be. . Oh and it has the most AMAZING sunsets imagineable.
Thanks... Yes please.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Snowdonia Aerospace, really ? Next time I'm there, I'll kick their milk bottles over and they won't be able to launch any rockets. :LOL:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have visited Shell man and boy for more years than I would like to remember. First with a military surplus tent then renting one of the apartments and finally in a motorhome when the rules became a little more relaxed. I found the harbour great for launching my boat and spent many summers down there and knew old Mr and Mrs Workman well enough to go to there funerals. I posted about Shell several years ago on Fun and few had heard of the place, one or two even poo pooed that it was a terrible place with no facilities. Now there is a faint possibility of it closing everyone wants to know where it is. Strange old world isnt it.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Like you @Snowbird have been to Shell Island since the 70s as a child and still go now. Mum & Dads old Ford Thames Dormobile and then camping with mates and later years in a T5 and now the MH.
Fantastic place that I'm sure will not be affected by recent events.....storm in a tea cup me thinks!!!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think that the spaceport is a False news item. The idea of a launchpad for orbital rockets must be as near to the equator as possible to get the slingshot effect.. Shell island is NOT there. Even the French know this and use French Guiana on the equator or a platform at sea, on the equator.
Another thing is that if a rocket exploded it would take more than the local village fire engine to cope with it.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
That you can turn up even on the busiest day of the year and stand a pretty good chance of getting a spot like the pics, I'm not even bothered about it being on here, it could take every last mh on this forum and still have space for the loners.

Where else in UK can you do that? - seriously I do want to know because I will use it.

Jon

The nearest I can think of is here: Lyndon Top

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lyndon Top,Great place, not a busy place in winter but a load of punters in season. £6.50 each van and drop and water but no power, not even for the staff, no electric on site.. There is the golf club across the fields , that welcome you in the bar.
We are going there Wednesday evening before coming back a bit to the Peterborough Show and rally. Drive up park up and short run to the showground, so we get set up early. probably see a few more there doing the same

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Lyndon Top,Great place, not a busy place in winter but a load of punters in season. £6.50 each van and drop and water but no power, not even for the staff, no electric on site.. There is the golf club across the fields , that welcome you in the bar.
We are going there Wednesday evening before coming back a bit to the Peterborough Show and rally. Drive up park up and short run to the showground, so we get set up early. probably see a few more there doing the same
Its a massive £7 now. We stayed there Weds night on our way to Chester.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back