SheepSkin rugs for the motorhome.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have to admit I was sceptical about this as I thought they were too delicate, take up too much space in the summer and get manky too quickly.

Anyway, my good friends who had mocked me ruthlessly for my motorhome hobby eventually got a demountable. During one of our many trips away we were all sat outside round a campfire getting a little cold. The went into their van and brought out a couple of sheepskin rugs which they then put on their chairs and sat on. I was the only one shivering by the end of the night and kept having to stand up to warm my butt. They extolled the virtues of them pretty much non stop until they finally left for the U.S.

I finally bought one 2 weeks ago. I have to say it is brilliant. Sitting outside is one thing, but having it on the bed has made such a difference. I have one of those raved about Duvalays which to be honest I have found to be an expensive pile of rubbish (and may soon go in the bid). However the sheep skin at less than half the price is worth it's weight. I have turned the heating down on cold nights and on the 2 warmer nights didn't overheat. It also feels absolutely amazing. I also use it at my work station when on the computer as it is so comfortable to sit on..

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that a Sheepskin rug is a worthwhile addition to the motorhome.. I think as a fulltimer this is going to be top of my non essential but must have list.

This is the one I got.. But Amazon have lots of suppliers around the £40-45 mark for the extra large ones.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Being a Welshman I wouldn't be able to live it down;)

• Like Like x 14
  3. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Sounds a really good idea and one I would not have thought of - thank you :) Did you put the sheepskin under your sheet?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Granjan

Granjan Funster

That is def on our shopping list, just talking about it this morning ... Think I will do it now:active:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Well Charlie has claimed ours :LOL: image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

We bought the Urban Wool duvet at the Peterborough show. Although it seemed hideously expensive, we have been amazed by its properties. We were told it would suit all seasons and we were probably sceptical, but it is wonderful. We used it in the heat of summer (in France/Germany) and its serving us well as temperatures are now dropping. I think there is a lot to be said for natural products.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

We have two in our van too. Lovely for lounging on, but I have to turf the dog off all the time.

I cleaned one of them the other day just using a couple of baby wipes and a damp chamois to wipe down, came up a treat. image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

For the past five years Eddie and I have had three Sheepskins in our van would not be with out them comfortable when travelling long distances, but warm or cool whatever is needed
    But I would add one of the Best places to buy them is Skyeskins from the Isle of Skye, they are one of the few places in the UK that process the skins here, most are sent to China then imported back to the UK , where as the ones from Skye are done there with sheep skin's from Skye. Very reasonable and ours are still like knew. Picture Ed tonight on Sheepskins after a wee dram or two IMG_20150921_222600157.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I use mine on top to keep the heat in. I do however sit on it when not sleeping.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

Think I'm sold Carol. Will be looking into those, thank you (y)

• Like Like x 2
  11. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

just read this thread, all those coming to Pembrey this weekend can now put their names down to catch a sheep competition ,all you need are a pair of wellies and be fast, any cheating in this competition and you will be ba ba black sheep ED you can be one of the judge with TARAN_LAS he loves a catch a sheep north WALES CHAMPION 2000 2005 2008 lot of sheep skins in is m/h so do not let him pull the wool over your eyeslol stil lol ray xx

• Like Like x 4
  12. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Must admit I was very sceptical when my wife bought a sheepskin for £40 from Dunelm Mill earlier this year saying it would be more comfortable to sit on. Soon changed my mind when we swapped seats one day but didn't move the sheepskin over!
    Not that I am tight, but I spotted one for a tenner at a car boot which was spot on. The standard single skin is long enough to cover the 'horizontal' bit of the chair and about the same distance up the backrest and gives good lumbar support but if you want one that goes all the way up the back of the chair you would need a bigger/double pelt.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I'm veggie so wouldn't have one, obviously, but many years ago when I taught very frail, fragile special needs children , they lay on sheepskins on beanbags. Kept them warm ( temperature regulation often a problem) and protected their fragile skin from abrasions and pressure sores. At least a few sheep didn't die in vain!

I'm told that here in Devon, Pixieland on Dartmoor is the place to buy sheepskin.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Masman

Masman Funster

I was parked next to a motorhome at the Brownhills show at the weekend.They had two on the cab seats.looked really comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Unless you are a Vegan who avoids all Animal products completely? Using a sheepskin is good as it is a by-product of the meat industry. The animal would be killed either way so by using a sheepskin you are simply using a waste product in the same way that you would leather shoes, belts or bags.

Of course if it just something you wouldn't be comfortable with that is fine, no judgements from me.

17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

PS: This is why Vegans have such a hard life. Can you imagine having to avoid all these products.
    http://qi.com/infocloud/pigs

Worth a read if you want to avoid all animal by products...

18. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I don't wear or buy anything leather, won't have leather car seats or furniture. Eat vegetarian cheese. But a lot of kids skin was saved from damage and infection by those sheepskins. I'm sure they have more sophisticated things these days.

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Sounds great ... but I can't even slightly touch wool products as they make me itch! I used to be able to get away with lambswool jumpers but only if I had something between them and me!

20. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've got them. Must admit we only use them to sit on outside. Great to keep your bum and back warm. When not in use they are rolled up and stored in Pugs parcel shelf. Above our heads. Or our dog Buster would lay on them. Guaranteed. Then we'd have stinky sheepskin as well as sweaty dog. Haha