Sharing WiFi Signal

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Pat4Neil, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

I have a WiFi booster that connects to my laptop via a USB. this works very well.

I am looking for the best way to share this signal with other devices such as phones and tablets.

I have used Connecticut which works by creating a local hotspot around the laptop.
    I theory this is exactly what I need however, within a few days of installation it starts to crash the laptop. ( windows 7 ) .
    This problem is well documented on google.

What I am looking for is either a good stable alternative piece of software or better still a USB plug in device that shares the signal.
    I would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Neil.

2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I tried this on my laptop before i left for Morocco.
    http://www.mhotspot.com/

I seemed to work fine, after a alight glitch as I did not read the instructions and there were some notes about clicking the connection you want to share..
    However not used it here as I bought a MiFi and use the ipad...

Connectify is another program but I did read on another forum about glitchea with it..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Am looking for same sort of thing as we have 2 laptops. (His and HERS) :BigGrin:

Mike

5. Terry

Terry Funster

I use one of
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocked-..._Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item27cef1aea2
    as recomended to me by Brian (Chesterfield hooligan)
    terry
    edit also use one of
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251017335731?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Then I bought another same type thing for £21 that lasts 12 mths -gives 250 mb download per mth, with unlimited surfing --as of now it's still works a treat-sorry cannot find a link
    found it-only for UK ---
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Months..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item51a71152dd

• Like Like x 1
  6. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Hi Neil,

What chipset does your antenna currently have? If it has a Railink 3070 chipset then you can purchase the a USB router which will do the same job with your existing USB WiFi antenna. We can supply one of these including a 12v cigarette style adapter for £59.99 delivered (not on our website as we only sell this as a "kit" with an antenna, but can supply the router only if you wish).

You could however use one laptop to share the connection wirelessly. We recommend connectify hotspot for this - the free version works just fine: http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

The iBoost is a full system which will both receive and share a WiFi signal to multiple devices in your van. We're getting out kits in on Friday - we sold a lot of kit over Christmas to Funsters down in Spain who saw our kit in use by our customers on their winter campsites! :thumb:

The MiFi as recommended by Terry is good for 3G - but you'll need a SIM card to go with it of course :)

All the best,

Adam
    www.motorhomewifi.com

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

8. Phill D

Phill D

SNAP i have done exactly the same on all accounts and have always been able to get online when out and about UK.:thumb:

9. Pat4Neil

Thanks for all the tips.

Addie: Connectify me has a terrible clash with windows 7 and mine experiences this all the time .

I do have a railink booster which plugs into the laptop.

Can you be a bit more specific about the device I can plug into another USB to share the signal or suggest a stable alternative to connectify me

Many thanks

Neil

10. Addie

Hi Neil,

I've sent you an e-mail to your Yahoo e-mail address (from when you've contacted me via www.europebycamper.com) with a copy of the units instruction leaflet (written by us) and some pictures and specifics of the unit as I don't want to abuse my privileges by plugging our products too much on Fun. If you don't get an e-mail or your e-mail address has changed, please drop an e-mail to sales AT motorhomewifi.com and I will forward it over.

You are more than welcome to try the device and if for any reason you don't get on with it, you can return it to us for a refund. :thumb:

All the best,

Adam
    www.motorhomewifi.com

11. MikeandCarolyn

Have just downloaded and installed Connectify Lite and for last 10 mins it's been running ok with Carolyn using it to get online as well :BigGrin:

Mike.

Just had a thought-does connectify mean that wheras on some sites we would have to purchase 2 wifi keys-we can now just buy 1 ??

12. Addie

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's exactly right. As far as the network you are connected to is concerned only one device is connected, the second device (connected via your built in WiFi) would be 'invisible' to the network.

Just a note to other Funsters on this thread - you can only use Connectify to share the connection if you already have a USB WiFi booster in use. When this is the case, your computers 'built in' WiFi is redundant and can be turned into a secured hotspot for other devices to connect.

Purchasing the full version of Connectify is excellent as you can change the name of your network (free version must have 'Connectify' in the name) and also share the connection from a 3G dongle in the same way (which isn't available on the 'free' version).

Great bit of Software. http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

Adam
    www.motorhomewifi.com

13. MikeandCarolyn

I am now amazed-2 other M/homes are connected via me as well :BigGrin: One is about 50yds away and the nearer one is 25yds and in between me and the further one.
    Carolyn,sat on other side of table has best signal she has had since being here :BigGrin:
    I'll be looking at the Pro version if it keeps like this.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I thought it was free wi fi there Mike. :Eek!::Doh: Bob.

15. MikeandCarolyn

It is Bob-but on many pitches it's a struggle without a booster-particularly in evening when everyone wants to use. Bandwidth is negligible :cry:

Mike

16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Wake up Mike.....I want the better signal !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  17. MikeandCarolyn

Activation of my Hotspot before 0830 will attract a Premium rate-happy to discuss :BigGrin:

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

We use a 3 mifi wireless dongle - £15 a month, never had issue with coverage and will operate up to 5 devices at the same time with ease - faster than my land based system too!

19. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

Hello we use Connectify Pro and in the UK 3 Mifi - both excellent.

20. Pat4Neil

Hi Andrew

We have a mifi, but unfortunately no internet providers work here, we are using a friends signal next door which we get with our booster, but need to then share it with Neil.

Pat