Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Hi
We are just starting out with our first motorhome, a baby Rapido with a fixed rear bed. The bed has got the usual shaped edge i.e. narrower at the vase than at the head (not a problem for a midget like me!) What I want to know is, is it worth paying the extra for shaped bedding to fit, or will we be just as good with normal sheets/duvet etc?? The online sites I have looked at seem to be quite pricey compared to Asda's finest!
For info we will keep the bed made up all of the time (it will detract from the slightly scary upholstery!) and we are not very pedantic about things being pristinely neat so a bit of an overhanging duvet will not freak us out. But I don't want to be rearringing sheets all night either!
Thanks in anticipation of some advice.
Karen S

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Never bothered with fitted linen, do as above just tuck in, seems to work for us.

Spend the extra on something essential like a bottle of wine or two.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
That's definitely more my way of thinking, Dave!
Any thoughts on memory foam toppers, while I'm here??? The mattress is a little "thin" for our liking. But againm these toppers are not cheap.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Now that's something different, have tried one of those in a friends van as ours does not need one, and they do make a difference, would have to consider more carefully,.......... then I think that would win over the bottle any-time. Unless you had drunk enough then you would not bother either way.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Any thoughts on memory foam toppers, while I'm here??? The mattress is a little "thin" for our liking. But againm these toppers are not cheap.

one of the best things we ever bought for the van , so good we even got one for the bed in the house , :thumb:

Upvote 0

John Guthrie

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Memory foam toppers

Hi
, For what it is worth we bought memory foam toppers for our van and the improvement in terms of comfort was remarkable. I consider the expense well worth it and her also known as the boss wholeheartedly agrees.

I bought them from a firm called Raskelf and the service was first class. They may appear to be expensive but even when touring you spend quite a few hours in bed and getting up feeling less than refreshed is no joke. You would never regret parting with the cash once you experienced the difference.

Hope you find this information helpful,

Kind Regards,

John.

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We bought a double sized memory foam topper from "Instores" for £35. (I don't know if this is a national or regional store)
My wife reckons that there is a great improvement to comfort in bed whereas I haven't found any difference because I thought the bed was comfortable before :Smile:

We have the shaped fixed bed and modified the topper to fit with a pair of scissors.
No shaped bedding, but she was looking at fitted shaped sheets from Raskelf at the Shepton Show.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have a memory foam topper at home and it's brilliant. No need in the motor home as it came fitted with a Bultex mattress as standard and it's the dogs whosis. :thumb: We just use ordinary bedding on our shaped mattress tho SWMBO made a fitted bottom sheet. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi
We are just starting out with our first motorhome, a baby Rapido with a fixed rear bed. The bed has got the usual shaped edge i.e. narrower at the vase than at the head (not a problem for a midget like me!) What I want to know is, is it worth paying the extra for shaped bedding to fit, or will we be just as good with normal sheets/duvet etc?? The online sites I have looked at seem to be quite pricey compared to Asda's finest!
For info we will keep the bed made up all of the time (it will detract from the slightly scary upholstery!) and we are not very pedantic about things being pristinely neat so a bit of an overhanging duvet will not freak us out. But I don't want to be rearringing sheets all night either!
Thanks in anticipation of some advice.
Karen S
We did splash out on a couple of fitted bottom sheets for our Rapido. They were quite pricey compared to rectangular ones, but are a perfect fit and don't ruck up at all. Cant remember the suppliers now (not that long ago but poor memory!) but they are at all the shows. We don't bother with a special duvet as they have to overlap anyway so shaping is a bit superfluous.

Upvote 0

Dog lover

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Derbyshire
Funster No
Wev'e just started ourselves and have bought Asda's finest for our shaped fixed bed. It's fine. We also bought a new matress, memory foam, from Dunelm, after contemplating a topper first. we paid £198 for a king size and trimmed it to shape ourselves. Again it does the job with no problems whatever, in fact it's really comfortable.:thumb:

Upvote 0

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
We have a shaped matress and as the access to the top and bottom can be difficult have purchased fitted sheets, these have proved to be a boon when changing bed linen. (company in Brixham, reasonable price)
The duvet and cover is standard double.

Steve

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We don't use a bottom sheet. We bought a fairly firm quilted mattress cover and mdified a duvet cover to fit. The overall size is just a couple of centimetres larger than the mattress. This stays 'permanently' in place. We then use pillows and a duvet. In the morning the duvet gets folded back and the pillows given a bit of a shake and propped up against the folded duvet. At night the pillows are put in place and the duvet unfolded. Doddle.:thumb:

As for mattress topper our bed is comfortable enough not to need one.

John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back