SHAME ON THIS MOTORHOMER (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
I have a regular subscription to the French motorhome publication Le Monde Du Camping Car.
Imagine my horror when I turned the first few pages of the November issue, which arrived this morning, to find a quarter page photograph of an English Swift tag-axle Kontiki 2014 model, navy blue cab, with the registration clearly visible pictured beside this accompanying letter (which I have translated for you all to share)....

I send you a picture of a camping car draining its wastewater in an aire located under the communication tower of Perros-Guirec, with magnificent views of the Seven Isles and the beginning of the Cote de Granit Rose. By doing this, the gentleman causes pollution and spoils my enjoyment of the place. Of course. it's probably one of those people who say they are better educated than the French thugs. I tried to make him understand that it is wrong to do this but he turned away without a 'sorry' or stopping. I could not express in his own language what I thought, but because of individuals like him, we are frowned upon and his fellow citizens as well.

Whoever you are, if you are reading this, shame on you. The photograph clearly shows your motorhome disgorging a huge puddle of grey water with your number plate clearly visible. You are now famous and I'm sure we will all look for you on our travels in future, I know I will. You get us all a bad name. You are NOT forgiven.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Maybe I'll get shot down in flames.... but here goes....

I was shouted by an irate Frenchman for rinsing off my dog's paws with the outside shower whilst on an aire (I did use a tiny bit of shampoo to do it). It was tarmac just like a carpark and we were right beside the kerb (were the rainwater drains were). I tried to explain but he was having none of it and his wife came over to have a go too! I was very upset as I felt they were being totally unreasonable - it was as if I'd discharged something toxic. Surely theres more muck and crud washing down the drains from vehicles than ever there would be from grey waste. I honestly don't see the problem - or have I missed something?

With regard to the photo referred to above. To actually publish a photo with the registration plate in full view seems a bit OTT to me!

By the way, we don't empty our grey waste out of the tanks whilst on sites/aires.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Although I don't condone this. The only nationality we have had problems with here in Totana relating to hygiene have been the French (not all I hasten to add). The guy who was trying to wash his toilet out in the washing up sink and the woman going to wash the dog s**t off her shoes in the same sink. (These were the ones we caught). They were French. Also the ones we followed up a mountain road to see, at our rest stop, an emptied toilet, complete with human waste contents, paper and blue liquid.

Also on French Aires the locals quite often don't worry about using the drinking water taps to rinse out their toilets!

Sooo not all French are perfect, the same as the rest of us!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
At Camping Memling near Brugges, I came across a German woman washing dog sh#t off her shoe................right under the fresh water tap, and the water was splashing off the sole of the shoe and all over the tap. :mad: Even though I made her aware of her misgivings, she just carried on :eek: the dirty bitch. :mad:

Regards,

Jock.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Standards Ladies and Gents; Standards.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
I have to say I agree with all the comments posted here. Some of the habits we have observed our French counterparts deploying in and around the vidange on French Aires have been shocking, toilet waste disposal and washing the cassette out with the drinking water tap to name but a few. Having said that, it is their country and as visitors we should endeavour to do the right thing and the most shocking thing about the misdemeanour of our
Swift Kontiki friend that he has managed to get himself published in pole position in the French national press and unfortunately this cannot help but cast all us law abiding British motorhomers in a bad light.

Watch this space, I will attempt to scan and publish the photograph (with reg. blanked out).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Filthy habit regardless of nationality, nice move getting the photo published. Let's at least see enough of the number plate to get an idea.

I feel no need to slag off the French or defend the British - it's about personal standards, not passports.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Name and shame I say, I saw a motorhome heading towards Bedford yesterday spewing grey water all over the road as he went along, we passed the lay-by he had stopped at and opened his grey waste tap(I was going in the opposite way)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Surely if this "chap" was in an Aire why didn't he use the grey waste drain?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Also can't see the point of a pic with the reg disguised........
Cheers, Dave(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you post a picture just word it as
It is alleged by a reader of Le Monde Du Camping Car. that this vehicle pictured was discharging grey waste in an inappropriate place.

How do we know he wasn't dumping drinking water? to lighten his load.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yes I agree it's not a good practice heaven knows we have had enough threads on this , but right or wrong I can't say I like this mentality of name and shame, what shall we do stone them next.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.
I think it's a case of nimby... And I think we all have done something we perhaps shouldn't have if we think we can get away with it...? That's just me being absolutely honest...

But I'd still like to see the picture... :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back