Shall we do it?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by welshbois, Mar 23, 2015.

1. welshbois

welshbois Read Only Funster

Morning all, some of you may remember myself Lee and my partner Glyn from a few years back. We are still motor homing all the time but just seem to let life take us over when I changed my job etc and moved house so we have not been active on here at all. I am trying to convince Glyn to go to Spain this summer in the van for the first time but he is concerned aboput the weather being too hot for us and the dogs. I would love to go along the northern coast towards Vigo perhaps. How does Spain compare to France for ease of motorhoming? I had the aires book a few years ago but we never went and stayed in France lol. Last summer we ended up in the north of Italy and travelled around a few countries. Basically is Spain a good place to go in the van? (I spent my childhood in the south and speak Spanish soa m a comp[lete Spain nut but cannot get there in my van lol) we are teachers so have 5 weeks in the summer.
    Cheers all

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jill

Jill Funster

Go. And if it doesn't suit move on. The beauty of the motorhome
    ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Welcome back. Go for it, if it is too hot just move back to France or go up in the mountains.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The north coast won't be too hot and you could get rain too! I'm just planning the first part of our trip which starts next month. After the "turn right as you drive off the ferry at Santander" bit we will go along the north coast and then into Northern Portugal. Lots to see on the way in Galicia which will be a new area for me. Weather may not be brilliant but we will then be heading south to find the sun.

There are aires in Spain but nowhere near as many as in France. The Vicarious guide lists quite a few and they have good pictures and directions. But search on here for "Campercontact" for a downloadable resource.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. welshbois

welshbois Read Only Funster

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Glad you're still motoring about :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I'd say the same thing, go and if it's too hot head for mountains or a breezy part of the coast.
    As for the dogs they can always cool off in water, and they'll get into shade if they're hot. How about a kids inflatable paddling pool for them ? I had a kids paddling pool in France for my dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Perhaps give the Seville area a miss during July/August temp up to 40c and sometimes a little more. Having said that our dog manages ok, just sleepy as we are.

9. parknride

parknride Funster

Agree, just get on the road when/while you can. You have the freedom to move back north if you find it too hot. Nothing ventured..,.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've shown this picture before you need one of these to keep hot dogs cool:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Roads excellent, campsites excellent, aires not as good.

We've never been mid summer but there are plenty of mountains to cool off on. Granada is a must see, the Alhambra, the old town and even the new town then next door the mountains.

• Like Like x 1