Sewing and machine quilting as a hobby.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by scotjimland, Jul 15, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As most know I collect and restore old Singer machines and what better way to enjoy these grand old machines than by putting them to work.

I've always enjoyed doing the odd mend or alteration, making and repairing tents and awnings, patching jeans etc. but never tried anything serious.. so decided to have a go at making a quilt...

This is our first ever quilt, Jan and I made it together... it now has pride of place on our bed.. since making this one we have made cushions, cot quilt for our grandson, oven gloves etc.. the bug has bitten. :Laughing:

there are more images of projects on my blog.. link in signature ..

Are there any other quilters on here ? Love to see your work ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 12
  2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Great piece of work Jim, good to see that the machines are being used for what they were intended for. I love to see any collection being used, and not just for show.
    If you want to see a collection of great quilts, you should try to get to the American Museum just outside Bath, a wonderful collection of quilts many date back years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

Thanks .. our local quilt shop has a display by local ladies, the only problem is I get disheartened when I admire the beautiful work .. some of it truly amazing.. the shop owner asked if I were buying material for my wife and was a little more than surprised when I said no.. it was for me... don't often here of men who enjoy sewing she replied.. :Laughing:

.. but I love it,

While fulltime in the RV I took along a 3/4 sized Singer to do repairs .. there are so many little jobs that can be done around a motorhome.. curtains, upholstery, blinds, awnings, wind breaks etc .. not to mention repairs and alterations to clothes..

4. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

I still have my grandma's singer hand machine (c1929) which I use regularly. I suspect it needs a bit of tlc and some oil. I'm ashamed to say it has had none of these in at least 40 years but still does the job. My mother's and sister's modern electric machines seem to always be needing attention. My daughter has already put dibs on my machine for when I no longer need it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Jan, Rory's (Forest Boy) better half is a quilter and expert Lasagne maker but thats another story
    We had many a happy day bartering for fabrics when in Morocco, bet you wish you could get those fabrics and prices locally Jim

6. scotjimland

you bet I do.. wish I had stocked up whilst there ...

I also make good Lasagne... would make someone a good wife .. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

you are not alone Jim, as the son of a shoe repairer/maker I was taught to use a singer 29k patcher and still use it regularly, my fathers old treadle is long since gone but I managed to buy an electric one. Still prefer the treadle and always looking for a base for this one. Over the years I have made suede handbags, skirts, hot pants, repaired sails, boat covers and awnings. It is a heavy old beast but will stitch most things from clothes to harness. Everybody should be able to sew.

• Like Like x 1
  8. acting_strange

acting_strange

Excellent piece of quilting you two...well done:thumb:

Before I left my last college I saw they were throwing away all od the Bernina sewing machines from when they used to teach sewing and managed to scrounge two out of the skip...after a liitle tlc both my daughters now have an excellent machine each to make their own clothes etc...

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

the old ones are by far the best, the stitch quality is fantastic, one that many modern machines cannot match... the best machine Singer ever made was the 201K.. rotary hook, drop feed dogs and reverse.. but they are all great.. that's just my personal preference.. Jan uses a 1/2 size featherweight, 222K .. lovely little machine and the quilters favourite.. I could talk all day about them... :Laughing:

sewing is back in vogue, prices for vintage Singers ,( pre 1965) have risen quite a lot in past three or four years.. as you say, soo many jobs that can be done..

10. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

I can remember my mum teaching me to sew on her old treadle machine. I ussed to make all my own clothes but find it's much cheaper to buy reasy made now.
    I took up X-stitch a few years ago but don't have time for it now. Too busy working and on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

Hi Sue..

yes it is much cheaper to buy clothes.. not worth the effort making nowadays.. but once they wear out, instead of throwing away they can be dismantled and the unworn parts used in quilts or other projects.
    We know a person who made a quilt from her fathers shirts after he died.. such a personal thing could never be bought and what a great way of remembering her father.. Jan is colecting mine at the mo.. :Eeek: :Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It's great work Jim. You are clearly a man of many talents. Don't I recall you posting about wood turning as well, or ami getting confused?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

He could turn wood into quilts but its a long process :Wink:
    Knowing Jim he's probably outside planting he seeds:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

yes, I have a few useful talents but never managed to find the one that makes £millions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

Just to say what a great first effort, I would have thought you had been making quilts for years. I have dabbled in hand sewn quilts making a traditional hexagonal flower one for my daughter as an heirloom thing years ago, my sons is still a work in progress, so far has taken 15 years as other projects come along. Have made quilted playmats for the grandchildren and now doing crochet blanket for my father. Sewing machine is out again though only to make a curtain but plan to make some little dresses/playsuits for our new granddaughter. There should be more hours in the day. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

Thank you..

yes indeed, it does make time fly .. between sewing, cooking, turning and gardening .. not enough hours in the day.. and here I am wasting time on a forum ..:Doh: :Laughing:

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I gave up sewing years ago when the first buttoneer arrived on the scene........ :Rofl1:

[​IMG]

Seriously, my mother was a dress maker following on from her munitions work in the war(womens knickers). She had an old singer (treadle) which my brother nicked for sailmaking when she got her first electric singer.

He chucked it up the tip many years ago now........shame...:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

As a penny conscious fulltimer now I loath having to buy new clothes. That's good beer money there....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

I have a little sewing kit and do many repairs. The only clothes I dispose of now are ones that have been stained for example with varnish or paint.

Jeans get cut up to make make patches for the knees of my work jeans etc.
    Or making new pockets to replace the ones I have put key holes in:Rofl1:

I make my own curtains using scrap material. but hand sewing such large areas is not easy so I cheat and use wonderweb and tack the corners.

The only thing I don't attempt is darning socks. I did learn how to do this from the same girl who taught me to knit but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it now. I just make sure my toe nails are cut regularly:Doh:

At 41 I think I may be the last generation who had a parent brought up during world war II and still lives by the make do and mend philosophy. Most of my peers are throw away and buy new stuff and love the new shiny shiny. Even my friends who are in their 50's very rarely have the attitude my mum does and instilled in me.

Nice one Jim. Nice to see a good creative hobby still being practiced and those old machines doing what they were designed to do:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. scotjimland

Thanks Karl .. I have a nice miniature Singer that sews beautifully, ideal for you!

[​IMG]

or if you want a proper sized sewing machine look out for a Singer 221k or 222k, 1/2 size and very light, cast from aluminium ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Is there any truth in the rumour that you have Scottish ancestry Karl, they're the only race on earth that would put locks on pockets..................

.........apologies to the Scots amongst you, esp' Jim......Frlrlreeeeeedom...
    :Rofl1:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2