Setting a good example... Not (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No bins........

I recently attended my daughter's wedding at the Hospitium set in the museum gardens in York.
While not the biggest park it was full of people enjoying the sun...adults, kids and dog walkers.
There isn't a single bin in the park, either rubbish or dog shit, yet the whole park was litter and shit free....and I would think the majority there were 'townies'.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its a problem when the tip starts charging to get rid of stuff properly they encourage tipping. I'm sure ours are paid a bonus on what percentage is recycled it ought to be on the total amount recycled to encorage them to encourage the public to take their waste.
Our tip charge to dispose of stone and rubble.....£6 no matter how much....a fertiliser bag or a trailer full
This is domestic rubble, not commercial business rubble.
What really grinds is when they were topping off the landfill site (our landfill now gets transported to York) they were begging for the stuff dumped free of charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Providing facilities to dispose of my waste is all I ask,

Better to provide those rather than paying far more to clear fly tipping or rubbish dumped on pavements (or picnic areas)

We noticed on a recent trip to New Zealand that there was a lack of rubbish bins provided in lay-byes etc, but there was also a complete absence of rubbish. In the UK we would need to provide bigger bins or empty them more often In New Zealand they take it home with them

It is a problem of mentality!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A while ago I saw a woman in the car in front chuck out a crisp packet when the lights were on red she seemed quite suprised when I got out of the car tapped on her window and pointed out she seemed to have dropped something it's a pity the police don't jump on this at every opportunity .

I watched someone in Mcdonalds eating & just dropping stuff out the window . Right next to bin. When I threw my rubbish in the same bin I picked up all his & tossed it back through the window & told him where to put it & don't even think of driving off & throwing it.

i know its a little off topic but I hired a car this week and the manager at the branch was telling me how filthy some vehicles are when returned when he realised the car i had rented could go straight back out without being valeted. just last week a car had come back in from hire with loads of sweet wrappers and a used smelly nappy on the back seat. some people have absolutely no respect

They'd lose the deposit in most car firms.

Our tip charge to dispose of stone and rubble.....£6 no matter how much....a fertiliser bag or a trailer full
This is domestic rubble, not commercial business rubble.
What really grinds is when they were topping off the landfill site (our landfill now gets transported to York) they were begging for the stuff dumped free of charge.
Should've charged them.:)

I must admit being a foreigner in the Uk ,& with nowhere to "take it home" , looking for bins is a pastime & there is a distinct lack of them.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We race motocross, often on farmers fields that will have animals in them whe we have finished racing, the amount of rubbish left behind is ridiculous. Clubs have lost many tracks because of litter. Some have tried bins but all that happens is people use them as an excuse to empty their vans.....tyres, chairs, bbq's...you name it they will dump it. People have no scruples or manners . Disgusting.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you think that the people that go to nice rural places like the New Forest are bad then do not venture near the
likes of Blackpool or Scarborough and even posh Southport nowadays. It really does highlight the scum that now live in what was good old Blighty. Save a few bob and come to France it is Blighty thirty years ago or at least most of it is.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Couldnt agree with you more.. On a funnier note we saw a donkey kick a young girl and a elderly woman all within 5 minutes of each other.. Signs around stating DO NOT FEED OR STROKE THE ANIMALS.. THESE ARE WILD ANIMALS AND NOT PETS.. so what do these two retards do.. Yes go over with food an start stroking a donkey... Idiots !

That's funny?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have been thinking about this thread and can honestly say that my daughter and grandchildren have been brought up to respect the environment. Back when my daughter came out camping with us, we were always out with the c&cc and she was in the juniors then the youth. If we turned up to a rally field with litter on already, it was common practice to hand out bin bags and the youngsters did a mass litter pick. The rule was always leave a campsite as clean or if not cleaner than when you arrived

it is all down to respect, something that modern parents don't seem to understand, let alone try to teach their children. Its always somebody else's fault, as in not enough bins etc. Its your rubbish and your obligation to dispose of correctly

I saw a classic the other week. I was picking my grandson up from school and as the kids were let out of the classroom one little darling ran up to his mother and told her off for dropping litter all the time. The children had been having a lesson on the environment and the importance of not littering and that recycling was the only way to save the planet. Anyway, the mother as not impressed with being shown up like that. But I do wonder if she is now more conscious of her own actions being scrutinised by her children

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes i too believe its all about respect, something a lot of people lack nowadays - we are home now but on our way back we stopped at a service station for a rest and popped in to grab a bite to eat an stretch our legs, decided on getting something fast so a maccys was on the menu... planning on eating it in the MH we were on our way to the exit/entrance door when a woman with her kids was just coming in as we were going out, she clearly could see our hands were full but instead of holding the door open for us an getting a thankyou she decided to just let it swing shut on us - self centered selfish unrespectful people what really grinds on me !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The 'same people' have managed to get wild camping banned in the East side of Loch Lomond .. including sleeping in vehicles of any description..

I don't think it is any particular social group.. townies or whatever.. just lazy bar stewards who don't give a toss about the countryside..

well done.. keep it up and it will soon be banned all over Scotland.. :mad:

Lomond national park board approves camping ban extension on loch shores

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/04/27/lomond-national-park-board-approves-camping-ban-extension-on-loch-shores

This is on the West shore... rubbish, camping kit abandoned and deep tyre ruts

lomond-Suie-Field-West-Loch-Lomond-LOW-RES.jpg
We drove along Loch Lomond last week. The lay-by we stopped in had no bin and was strewn with rubbish.

However on the Outer Hebrides it seemed like every lay-by and wild camping spot had a large bin and some even had recycling bins.

Bins are essential if our countryside is to be kept clean. If the council doesn't care, they shouldn't be surprised if visitors don't take care either.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Slightly off topic I know but just think the whole country is changing so much, litter now is sadly a fact of life, yesterday I was coming out of Asda and a security tag started going off , security guard checked asking have you any clothes, no, any CDs no. Any meat yes oh it will be that then, we are having that much meat stolen it has to be tagged :Eeek: Changing times we are living in.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We race motocross, often on farmers fields that will have animals in them whe we have finished racing, the amount of rubbish left behind is ridiculous. Clubs have lost many tracks because of litter. Some have tried bins but all that happens is people use them as an excuse to empty their vans.....tyres, chairs, bbq's...you name it they will dump it. People have no scruples or manners . Disgusting.
I know what you mean. When we used to attend reenactment events the organising regiment was always responsible for walking the camping fields to pick up any rubbish. It doesn't help the overall situation when companies sell "festival" tents as one use disposable items these days because that simply reinforces the idea that rubbish can be discarded for somebody else to deal with.
We drove along Loch Lomond last week. The lay-by we stopped in had no bin and was strewn with rubbish.

However on the Outer Hebrides it seemed like every lay-by and wild camping spot had a large bin and some even had recycling bins.

Bins are essential if our countryside is to be kept clean. If the council doesn't care, they shouldn't be surprised if visitors don't take care either.
It isn't the case that councils don't care but that their resources are restricted and they are overwhelmed by what people discard instead of taking responsibility for. The onus should be on the individual to care rather than relying on the nanny state.
For instance, if somebody goes out for a picnic, taking food with them, they obviously have the means to transport the left overs/packaging because they transported more on the outward journey. Even if somebody buys food/drink from a lay-by cafe the left overs aren't going to be that bulky and it should never be a problem to find a little space in the car boot for them. If everyone did that then the money that local councils saved in being able to reduce their litter/refuse collection could be used for items of real need.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It isn't the case that councils don't care but that their resources are restricted and they are overwhelmed by what people discard instead of taking responsibility for. The onus should be on the individual to care rather than relying on the nanny state.
For instance, if somebody goes out for a picnic, taking food with them, they obviously have the means to transport the left overs/packaging because they transported more on the outward journey. Even if somebody buys food/drink from a lay-by cafe the left overs aren't going to be that bulky and it should never be a problem to find a little space in the car boot for them. If everyone did that then the money that local councils saved in being able to reduce their litter/refuse collection could be used for items of real need.

I think it is about caring.
The local council caring for the local community, by helping to keep the place clean and tidy for everyone to enjoy.
More visitors would be attracted, together with the money they bring with them.
Putting a bin in a layby is probably cheaper than paying council workers to pick up litter after it has been discarded.
Furthermore the bins could be sponsored by local businesses in the same way as roundabouts are sponsored in many parts of the country.

I certainly agree that rubbish is everyone's responsibility, but making disposing of it easily and cleanly is in everyone's interest too.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it is about caring.
The local council caring for the local community, by helping to keep the place clean and tidy for everyone to enjoy.
More visitors would be attracted, together with the money they bring with them.
Putting a bin in a layby is probably cheaper than paying council workers to pick up litter after it has been discarded.
Furthermore the bins could be sponsored by local businesses in the same way as roundabouts are sponsored in many parts of the country.

I certainly agree that rubbish is everyone's responsibility, but making disposing of it easily and cleanly is in everyone's interest too.
Yes, bins are cheaper than picking up litter and councils (as per earlier posts) do have a duty to try to keep their area tidy (as do the Highways Agency on major roads). Being able to dispose of one's litter in a bin somewhere, rather than taking it home, is only convenient though, not vital. We really need a public mindset that we take responsibility for ourselves.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Yes, bins are cheaper than picking up litter and councils (as per earlier posts) do have a duty to try to keep their area tidy (as do the Highways Agency on major roads). Being able to dispose of one's litter in a bin somewhere, rather than taking it home, is only convenient though, not vital. We really need a public mindset that we take responsibility for ourselves.

I know you think I like 'knocking' Local Authorities

Sometimes I am critical of what role LA's should take - should they carry out services such as waste-management and road repairs or would they be better making sure contractors do the job (properly) for them ? - they already use some sub-contractors and agencies anyway

You say that providing bins should not be necessary, and in a perfect world you would be right.....but I can see other problems

Another resurrected thread 'Emptying Cassette on grass verge', highlights another problem, the closing of public toilets - not the place to empty a cassette but better than the alternative..... and that is a serious public health problem

LA's after closing public toilets are suggesting that the public should use the facilities of nearby businesses !......... don't think that should extend to cassettes though - that would literally be taking the pi$$ :groan:

Travelers for instance (mentioned in the old thread) - would it not make sense to supply portaloos - even short term - rather than expect Council staff to clean up after - and as a bonus (for us) set up black waste dumping points as they do on the Continent.............

:)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Couldnt agree with you more.. On a funnier note we saw a donkey kick a young girl and a elderly woman all within 5 minutes of each other.. Signs around stating DO NOT FEED OR STROKE THE ANIMALS.. THESE ARE WILD ANIMALS AND NOT PETS.. so what do these two retards do.. Yes go over with food an start stroking a donkey... Idiots !

Last year I was exercising my dogs on the open forest near Setthorns and watched a family following a couple of ponies with foals at foot. No matter where the mares moved the foals onto the family followed, hands outstretched, trying to touch them. Clueless. The children were even running up behind the ponies --- don't their patents realise a kick could mean injury, brain damage or even death?
Even my dogs instinctively know not to go near the ponies, especially if they have foals.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like a couple of bitter old men. No proof whatsoever that these people came from a town. You get inconsiderate bastards from all areas and classes. Where i live we are surrounded but people with £1m plus houses and we are in the country. The favored pastime seems to be picking up there dog shit and hanging the bag from a tree even if the bin is a few yards away. Country kids chucking sweet wrappers up and down the street before and after school or out the car windows when mummy takes then 100 yards to school in the latest 4x4.
Same dirty bastards but just a different class of dirty bastards. I am originally from Edinburgh. Lived in it for a good 35 years and yet to litter the countryside.

Totally agree, from what I see around the better off make the most mess, probably thinking "somebody else will clean it up"

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Totally agree, from what I see around the better off make the most mess, probably thinking "somebody else will clean it up"
Who do you mean by the better off?
Those rich enough to own a moterhone?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know you think I like 'knocking' Local Authorities

Sometimes I am critical of what role LA's should take - should they carry out services such as waste-management and road repairs or would they be better making sure contractors do the job (properly) for them ? - they already use some sub-contractors and agencies anyway

You say that providing bins should not be necessary, and in a perfect world you would be right.....but I can see other problems

Another resurrected thread 'Emptying Cassette on grass verge', highlights another problem, the closing of public toilets - not the place to empty a cassette but better than the alternative..... and that is a serious public health problem

LA's after closing public toilets are suggesting that the public should use the facilities of nearby businesses !......... don't think that should extend to cassettes though

Travelers for instance (mentioned in the old thread) - would it not make sense to supply portaloos - even short term - rather than expect Council staff to clean up after - and as a bonus (for us) set up black waste dumping points as they do on the Continent.............

:)
Funny you should mention travellers because there was an article on local radio last week about residents of Barnard Castle concerned about a repeat of disruption (including the leaving of human waste) by travellers going to Appleby horse fair. The organiser of the fair, himself a Romany, made the point that he organises official stopping places en route, in conjunction with local councils, where Portaloos and skips are provided - but still some people are ignorant.

I actually said that bins are a convenience and not vital, not that providing bins should not be necessary. What is necessary, though, is that if bins are full people should take their litter with them rather than dumping it. Why should anyone think that it is OK to dump litter, rather than deal with it responsibly, when bins are full?

As regards facilities provided by local businesses not being suitable for cassette emptying, why should anyone think that any council owned public toilets should be used for that, either, when it is perfectly possible for them to find a proper place top do so? They are certainly not designed for that and, in some cases, are not on mains sewerage so can be damaged by chemicals (mentioned in connection with West Sands at St Andrews a few years ago if I recall correctly).

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Providing facilities to dispose of my waste is all I ask,

Better to provide those rather than paying far more to clear fly tipping or rubbish dumped on pavements (or picnic areas)

Totally agree, Bradford council will charge me to go to the tip as I drive a Transit pickup, I DONT HAVE A CAR.

only the MH and the transit, the wife has a Corsa, but it only has a small boot.

On the country lanes around here there are numerous mattresses dumped etc, because of the tip rules re commercial vehicles, even when Mr Hitler at the tip can see it is domestic

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Totally agree, Bradford council will charge me to go to the tip as I drive a Transit pickup, I DONT HAVE A CAR.
I had the same problem when I owned a pickup truck
When I called the tip and asked for advice I was told that if I took proof of my address to prove I was a local resident, and the waste I was carrying was domestic in nature, that I could dump free of charge!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I had the same problem when I owned a pickup truck When I called the tip and asked for advice I was told that if I took proof of my address to prove I was a local resident, and the waste I was carrying was domestic in nature, that I could dump free of charge!

One of my sons has a small van and would need a permit to take even household waste to the tip.

He needs to dispose of some asbestos soffit off his own house, the Council tip will take small (properly wrapped) quantities - I'll have to take it in my car........

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I only use my 4x4 pickup to do dump runs and have had a few run ins with jobsworths at the local tips. "its a commercial vehicle sir, you have to pay business charges"....er no its not a business vehicle its my own personal transport never ever been sign written

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
A guy who did some electrical work for me was telling me that he took his washing machine to the local tip and they wouldnt allow him in as it was a van - fine he said, i will drive back out and put it on a dolly trolley and wheel it in - Cant do that im afraid - health and safety issues - Oh OK said electrician - shall i go and dump it down a country lane ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To all those who have had a problem with rejections of "commercial" waste, did you just talk to one of the site labourers or check with a supervisor or the council and, where necessary, get a letter/pass confirming that your vehicle is private? Most councils have explanations on their web sites about restrictions on commercial vehicles and how genuine householders, who happen to have vehicles which are not "normal" cars can avoid them.

Some years ago, when we had a Berlingo (which was a private car but had our business name in the rear window), I saved a stack of cardboard packaging in the garage until I had a car full and then took it to the dump. At that time there was a staffed office on the way in to direct people to the appropriate point an I was challenged by the person there (who wasn't one of the regular staff) but was allowed through when I explained.

Remember, in all sorts of walks of life many employees are not jobsworths but are constricted to working within strict guidelines, which err on the side of caution, and are not given the freedom to make decisions.

Last edited:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Where I live there are close by a few football pitches and rugby pitches and after every game there are lots of plastic bottles and other empty cartons which are just left on the side lines ,this area is also a dog walk and I have noticed that the dog walkers pick up all the rubbish put it in bags and leave it hanging on the fence at the entrance to the park this happens every week .Would you clean up after this lot ?.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Where I live there are close by a few football pitches and rugby pitches and after every game there are lots of plastic bottles and other empty cartons which are just left on the side lines ,this area is also a dog walk and I have noticed that the dog walkers pick up all the rubbish put it in bags and leave it hanging on the fence at the entrance to the park this happens every week .Would you clean up after this lot ?.
The clubs are in very much the same situation as we were with reenacting and @MichelleRyall was with motocross and should clear up after themselves. It might be worth taking a photo of the rubbish and sending it to the council with details of the pitch(es) where it was dumped. The council will know which teams were playing there and will be able to have words with them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back