Setting a good example... Not (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Well i should imagine most of you who have been around the new forest will know that for an area so big its surprising how clean it is.. Being since there are no bins here to put rubbish in... Maybe find one or two in towns and small villages but out here in the sticks where there are wild Horses.. Cattle.. Donkey's and Deer roaming around car parks ect.. I was a little annoyed at this young family who parked next to us at Hatchet pond car park today.. They had two young daughter's and a little boy.. All under the age of 10..they sat on a blanket and had a picnic for a few hours and got in the car an left.. It was only then we realised they had left all their rubbish on the floor for all to see... Bloody disgusting and what an example to set in front of your young children.. All i could think of was what if a young foul started eating the rubbish or any of the wild animals come to that.. I ended up picking it up and bagged it an stuck in the garage with our own.. And while picking it up i could feel people's eyes burning into me as if i had bloody left it there.. Its this sort of behaviour that gives us campers a bad reputation... Rant over.. Grrrrr

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have lived in and around the new forest all my adult life, and can honestly say that what you saw is typical of townie visitors. come for a day out in beautiful surroundings and treat it as their own personal dustbin. filthy bastards shouldn't be allowed to breed let alone enjoy the countryside

when we go into the forest for dog walking etc we avoid the tourist traps because it raises the blood pressure. we often come across plastic bags of rubbish though and always pick them up and take them away.

the lazy dirty bastards couldn't care less that their rubbish can kill the animals they come to gawp at and photograph

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Couldnt agree with you more.. On a funnier note we saw a donkey kick a young girl and a elderly woman all within 5 minutes of each other.. Signs around stating DO NOT FEED OR STROKE THE ANIMALS.. THESE ARE WILD ANIMALS AND NOT PETS.. so what do these two retards do.. Yes go over with food an start stroking a donkey... Idiots !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Sounds like a couple of bitter old men. No proof whatsoever that these people came from a town. You get inconsiderate bastards from all areas and classes. Where i live we are surrounded but people with £1m plus houses and we are in the country. The favored pastime seems to be picking up there dog shit and hanging the bag from a tree even if the bin is a few yards away. Country kids chucking sweet wrappers up and down the street before and after school or out the car windows when mummy takes then 100 yards to school in the latest 4x4.
Same dirty bastards but just a different class of dirty bastards. I am originally from Edinburgh. Lived in it for a good 35 years and yet to litter the countryside.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Dartmoor National Park suffers the same problem, we have to spend £000s of public money to dispose of recreational litter, if people took it home it would be taken away with their domestic rubbish already paid for in their council tax. We do supply litter skips at a couple of honeypot sites but on a busy day they fill up quickly so people leave their litter beside the skip. Biffa then empty the skip, but won't take away the additional rubbish, so the skip gets filled again, and on it goes.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sounds like a couple of bitter old men. No proof whatsoever that these people came from a town. You get inconsiderate bastards from all areas and classes. Where i live we are surrounded but people with £1m plus houses and we are in the country. The favored pastime seems to be picking up there dog shit and hanging the bag from a tree even if the bin is a few yards away. Country kids chucking sweet wrappers up and down the street before and after school or out the car windows when mummy takes then 100 yards to school in the latest 4x4.
Same dirty bastards but just a different class of dirty bastards. I am originally from Edinburgh. Lived in it for a good 35 years and yet to litter the countryside.
And you don't sound bitter !

?

Deleted User
Nope not bitter, stating a fact. Only thing i leave behind is if i need to poop in the woods but even then i dig a hole.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Well i should imagine most of you who have been around the new forest will know that for an area so big its surprising how clean it is.. Being since there are no bins here to put rubbish in... Maybe find one or two in towns and small villages but out here in the sticks where there are wild Horses.. Cattle.. Donkey's and Deer roaming around car parks ect.. I was a little annoyed at this young family who parked next to us at Hatchet pond car park today.. They had two young daughter's and a little boy.. All under the age of 10..they sat on a blanket and had a picnic for a few hours and got in the car an left.. It was only then we realised they had left all their rubbish on the floor for all to see... Bloody disgusting and what an example to set in front of your young children.. All i could think of was what if a young foul started eating the rubbish or any of the wild animals come to that.. I ended up picking it up and bagged it an stuck in the garage with our own.. And while picking it up i could feel people's eyes burning into me as if i had bloody left it there.. Its this sort of behaviour that gives us campers a bad reputation... Rant over.. Grrrrr

Well if I'd been there I would have come and helped you. Round of applause to you for thinking of the wildlife. :bear:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The 'same people' have managed to get wild camping banned in the East side of Loch Lomond .. including sleeping in vehicles of any description..

I don't think it is any particular social group.. townies or whatever.. just lazy bar stewards who don't give a toss about the countryside..

well done.. keep it up and it will soon be banned all over Scotland.. :mad:

Lomond national park board approves camping ban extension on loch shores

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/04/27/lomond-national-park-board-approves-camping-ban-extension-on-loch-shores

This is on the West shore... rubbish, camping kit abandoned and deep tyre ruts

lomond-Suie-Field-West-Loch-Lomond-LOW-RES.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The 'same people' have managed to get wild camping banned in the East side of Loch Lomond .. including sleeping in vehicles of any description..

I don't think it is any particular social group.. townies or whatever.. just lazy bar stewards who don't give a toss about the countryside..

well done.. keep it up and it will soon be banned all over Scotland.. :mad:

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/04/27/lomond-national-park-board-approves-camping-ban-extension-on-loch-shores

This is on the West shore... rubbish, camping kit abandoned and deep tyre ruts

lomond-Suie-Field-West-Loch-Lomond-LOW-RES.jpg
Shameful, a national disgrace.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Can't excuse the behaviour but is the lack of bins helping?

Local Authorities seem to discourage us from visiting their tips (recycling centres) or are overwhelmed by queues of vehicles, especially at weekends, but spend a fortune on clearing up fly tipping.

I recently tried to find a 'bottle bank' and gave up after visiting 3 sites to find the recycling bins had simply been removed - nothing

Yes there is a personal responsibility but it could be easier if more bins or 'recycling centres' available

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

Jim, since the place was made a national park they want to control everything.

Before it was a national park you could visit Luss car park for free.....now big parking charges.
The loch, you could turn up with a boat launch it and have a nice day.......now it has to be registered have the reg no displayed and policed.
Yes, you can find evidence of ne'er do wells ruining things for the rest of us as in the OP, but has it made Loch Lomond and the trossachs a better place.....i think not.

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It seems That a percentage of people nowadays have no respect for themselves or their environment...nanny state maybe partly to blame for it for some of its ideas ..

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Dartmoor National Park suffers the same problem, we have to spend £000s of public money to dispose of recreational litter, if people took it home it would be taken away with their domestic rubbish already paid for in their council tax. We do supply litter skips at a couple of honeypot sites but on a busy day they fill up quickly so people leave their litter beside the skip. Biffa then empty the skip, but won't take away the additional rubbish, so the skip gets filled again, and on it goes.

Agree about the rubbish although my experiences with Biffa aren't great to be honest...charging additional fees for separate waste and recycling bins but chucking them in together for example...
We stopped off at Harford Bridge campsite on Thursday night, lovely spot for relaxing for a weekend

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Before it was a national park you could visit Luss car park for free.....now big parking charges.
The loch, you could turn up with a boat launch it and have a nice day.....

yes.. I recall these days.. and not just Loch Lomond ... but the Loch where I spent most of my free time canoeing as a kid.. .. Castle Semple Loch.., Lochwinnoch, and in winter when it froze over we skated and played ice hockey .. It was a wild and unspoilt place.. only used by local kids.. now it has a car park (free) visitor centre, sailing school, cafe, canoe hire etc etc.. and at weekends it's heaving with townies.. it's not 'my' loch anymore.. such is life..

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It seems That a percentage of people nowadays have no respect for themselves or their environment...nanny state maybe partly to blame for it for some of its ideas ..

One of my biggest gripes are poor manners and lack of respect, now I'm not for beating children but for me since being able to discipline a child has been taken away from schools it breeds a lack of respect to any authority, didn't do me any harm, mind you having a father that was a drill sergeant and heavyweight boxing champ in the Army also might have helped

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was brought up in the country in the 1950s/60s and learned not to leave litter from my parents. Our children were brought up in a town in the 1970s/80s and learned not to leave litter from us. In both cases we took our litter home with us, especially if we had been walking/picnicking in the countryside on land which was predominantly agricultural. I can't recall any farmers providing litter bins in those days.
It might well help if we, the taxpayers and customers, were happy to pay extra so that councils/organisations could provide more bins and dispose of our litter but there is absolutely nothing to stop us taking it with us and disposing of it properly. Why should any of us expect to be mollycoddled by automatically transferring our responsibilities to others?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A while ago I saw a woman in the car in front chuck out a crisp packet when the lights were on red she seemed quite suprised when I got out of the car tapped on her window and pointed out she seemed to have dropped something it's a pity the police don't jump on this at every opportunity .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know its a little off topic but I hired a car this week and the manager at the branch was telling me how filthy some vehicles are when returned when he realised the car i had rented could go straight back out without being valeted. just last week a car had come back in from hire with loads of sweet wrappers and a used smelly nappy on the back seat. some people have absolutely no respect

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i know its a little off topic but I hired a car this week and the manager at the branch was telling me how filthy some vehicles are when returned when he realised the car i had rented could go straight back out without being valeted. just last week a car had come back in from hire with loads of sweet wrappers and a used smelly nappy on the back seat. some people have absolutely no respect
Agreed absolutely. In Weston-super-Mare last year we realised (after she had gone) that a customer had left a dirty nappy on the table of a seaside cafe.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
It's not a modern phenomenon as back in the 80's I was walking through Bideford and, from a car stopped at the red lights, came a ball of rubbish and landed at my feet. I just picked it up and put it back in the car and was shouted at by the woman "I don't want that f****g rubbish". "Neither does Bideford, Madam, there are plenty of bins around" replied I, and was grateful when the lights turned green before the beefcake of a male in the driver's seat had a chance to turn his expletives into action.... Honestly, some people!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
It might well help if we, the taxpayers and customers, were happy to pay extra so that councils/organisations could provide more bins and dispose of our litter but there is absolutely nothing to stop us taking it with us and disposing of it properly. Why should any of us expect to be mollycoddled by automatically transferring our responsibilities to others?

We already pay for it though, through Council Tax

Copied from the LGA's own guide :

Environmental
services

environmental health – including food safety, pollution
and pest control, public toilets

waste collection and disposal, recycling and street
cleaning

#

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A while ago I saw a woman in the car in front chuck out a crisp packet when the lights were on red she seemed quite suprised when I got out of the car tapped on her window and pointed out she seemed to have dropped something it's a pity the police don't jump on this at every opportunity .

understand why .. but a risky tactic..

only recently an elderly gentleman was stabbed to death by another driver suffering road rage

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We already pay for it though, through Council Tax

Copied from the LGA's own guide :

Environmental
services

environmental health – including food safety, pollution
and pest control, public toilets

waste collection and disposal, recycling and street
cleaning

#
Yes, but like anyone else councils (in common with other organisations) can only afford to do what they receive funds for. Thus street cleaning might only happen weekly rather than daily, for instance. When one looks back at the workload councils were expected to deal with when people took more responsibility for themselves it is hardly surprising that they struggle when the workload is increased and the funding is decreased.
We have to get away from this attitude that we can get all we want for less and less - whether that be in the form of low retail prices or public services.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

This lady on a motorbike does the same plus more.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes, but like anyone else councils (in common with other organisations) can only afford to do what they receive funds for. Thus street cleaning might only happen weekly rather than daily, for instance. When one looks back at the workload councils were expected to deal with when people took more responsibility for themselves it is hardly surprising that they struggle when the workload is increased and the funding is decreased.
We have to get away from this attitude that we can get all we want for less and less - whether that be in the form of low retail prices or public services.

Providing facilities to dispose of my waste is all I ask,

Better to provide those rather than paying far more to clear fly tipping or rubbish dumped on pavements (or picnic areas)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Providing facilities to dispose of my waste is all I ask,

Better to provide those rather than paying far more to clear fly tipping or rubbish dumped on pavements (or picnic areas)
Its a problem when the tip starts charging to get rid of stuff properly they encourage tipping. I'm sure ours are paid a bonus on what percentage is recycled it ought to be on the total amount recycled to encorage them to encourage the public to take their waste.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back