Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
just seen a BBC news item about set top boxes, it appears that due to an "upgrade" in the service current set top boxes may not work anymore. Anyone have further information, will a bios upgrade sort it or new software or are the new transmitters on a different set of frequencies that mess things up altogether. I've only ust bought a box, not delivered yet, how do I stand getting a refund if it does not work due to frequency changes etc. It currently affects services in Devon but suspect it will spread across the country as areas go digital. Yet another case of built in obsolescence or what. The government have spent millions of pounds telling us all to go digital, maybe they should now foot the bill for replacing equipment bought at their behest.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I also own a TV wholesaler and we sell thousands of digi boxes and we have no hard evidence of this.

Only comment in the trade so far is that maybe the very old Daewoo box won't upgrade.

Think your safe:thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
edited my post - just seen this!

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Freeview changes stop set boxes

it lists the problems boxes

the same is happening with a older few set top boxes even sky bxoes...some of the older models are unable to cope with the new software or the amount of channels due to limited inbuilt memory!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
I have 3 Daewoo SV 900 and the Setpal signal was switched off on the 29 July without any warning I spent ages checking my aerials,because because we just had a storm, then all the scarts and connections.
The older set top boxes I first bought still work.
The SV900 was a great unit also a VHS recorder and could tape subtitles for the hard of hearing.
I finally after much searching on the internet found the dates the signal was switched off and the models affected.
I have contacted Daewoo,Freeview.Ofcom and DMOL who are the goverment department who authrised the signal being turned off.
Daewoo blame Freeview and DMOL and the last 2 blame Daewoo.
I did what we were told to do and buy digital boxes the SV900 having a lot more functions now the goverment has pulled the plug and no one will offer any compensation both Freeview and DMOL say Daewoo should.
Why was no information given in advance.
Below is an e-mail sent to me from Freeview today.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Freeview.

Firstly, a summary of the background to these changes:

DMOL, the company which manages technical changes to the Freeview platform, have made necessary network enhancements affecting some homes in the following regions;

1st July 2008 - STV Central (Scottish), STV North (Grampian), Ulster, Tyne Tees and Border.

15th July 2008 - Lincolnshire, Humberside, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire.

23rd July 2008 - Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Devon and Cornwall.

29th July 2008 - Cheshire, Greater London, Lancashire and South Yorkshire.

5th August 2008 - Anglia, Meridian, Yorkshire, Wales, West Country and parts of Central and West.

The majority of homes are totally unaffected but some early-manufactured digital boxes have stopped working and viewers will need to replace their equipment to continue receiving the Freeview service.

This only affects people who bought some of the early models of digital boxes branded Daewoo, Labgear, Triax and Bush and is limited to the following models:

Set- top boxes
Daewoo DS608P
Labgear DTT100
Triax DVB 2000T
Portland DP100

Combined set-top box and video recorder
Daewoo SV900
Bush IDVCR01

The number of affected boxes represents around 1% of all Freeview equipment sold to date, although the number of people who’ve contacted Freeview and the manufacturers so far suggests the actual number could be much lower.

As you have already contacted Daewoo, I can only reiterate that you will need to replace the boxes. As Freeview neither manufactures nor sells digital receivers, we are unable to offer any recompense. Any such compensation would have to come from the manufacturer or retailer.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us by either calling us directly on 08708 809 980 seven days a week from 8.00am to 10.00pm, or again by email through Freeview - where great TV is free

Frank Burns
Team Manager
Freeview Customer Services

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
At the moment we only get 4 channels and no channel 5 in Wales.

When guy out to do sky for me had him put up digi ready aerial so hope its pointing in the right direction.

Have 2 digi boxes in the house from our old en. bi miffed if they don't work:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
John
No one told you yet, you got to get Electrickery down there first, before any of it will work:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
This is very strange we have a borrowed sky box until our arrives on friday. Tonight I turned it on and all channels have changed to different regions and channel 4 and 5 have dissapeared altogether. Can anyone explain please as reading a former post, buccaneer, it says 5th august wales - whats happened please.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
John
No one told you yet, you got to get Electrickery down there first, before any of it will work:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

That's why he wants a solar panel on his van - see Pappajohn's thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Hoy you two we have an electic light in Swansea I'll have you know:winky:

One of the main attraction:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
At the moment we only get 4 channels and no channel 5 in Wales.

When guy out to do sky for me had him put up digi ready aerial so hope its pointing in the right direction.

Have 2 digi boxes in the house from our old en. bi miffed if they don't work:Doh:

Hi John, you are just in the wrong place In Ilfracombe my digi antenna is receiving only from wales and have 100 channels inc the radio channels, inc ch5 so move?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
This is very strange we have a borrowed sky box until our arrives on friday. Tonight I turned it on and all channels have changed to different regions and channel 4 and 5 have dissapeared altogether. Can anyone explain please as reading a former post, buccaneer, it says 5th august wales - whats happened please.

a sky box with out a card will, when reintroduced to power, default to bbc1 london, bbc england, itv central.

no 104,105 will appear until a card is introduced. the card wil also reset you 101 and 103 regions as per the address set up for the sky card.

also, sky have been doing some housekeeping of their channels so some channel number have changed - foe example the music station now start from 350 not 340, shopping are from 640 not 630......

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
just seen a BBC news item about set top boxes, it appears that due to an "upgrade" in the service current set top boxes may not work anymore. Anyone have further information?

The government have spent millions of pounds telling us all to go digital, maybe they should now foot the bill for replacing equipment bought at their behest.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:
Before going off on holiday i switched my TV, VCR, DVD and digibox off at the mains, same as i always do when leaving the house for a lengthy period. When i came back home and switched everything back on, the digibox powered up.....but i got zilch zero nowt on the screen! Ended up having to go out and buy a new one which of course worked straight away. No idea what had happened to the previous digibox at all!

As for your final observation wildman.....there's more chance of hell freezing over! Government only take....never ever give!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back