Servicing of new Fiat based motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure if any new owners of Fiat based motorhomes are aware that the Fiat motorhome website (Link Removed) (Seasonal check-up) does not require you to have the engine serviced until its two years old, unless you reach 30,000 miles.

The actual wording on the website is stated below. I questioned this with my local Fiat servicing centre and they were a little reluctant to acknowledge its accuracy! So I now have emailed them with a link to the website.

Looks like this could save quite a few of us some servicing costs in the first year.

Remember that the service coupon must be carried out every 30,000 miles. If you do not do many miles a year, we recommend that you change the oil every two years. To keep your warranty valid, you do not need to have your motorhome serviced at the end of its first year of life, unless you have already completed the mileage specified for a service. Use only the recommended engine oil, Selenia WR, or an equivalent SAE 5W-30 oil that conforms to ACEA C2 standard.

Regards,
Philip

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
An anual check is always worth while, might uncover some hidden gremlin, one never knows!

Peter
I would agree with you 100% Peter for a motorhome outside of its warranty. However, if the manufacturer states no need to service until two years old and still maintains its warranty then you can be certain they have absolute confidence in the design and build quality. Personally, I would expect all dealers to recommend an annual check-up on brand new motorhome’s because it's easy money for them!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
An anual check is always worth while, might uncover some hidden gremlin, one never knows!

Peter
I would agree with you 100% Peter for a motorhome outside of its warranty. However, if the manufacturer states no need to service until two years old and still maintains its warranty then you can be certain they have absolute confidence in the design and build quality. Personally, I would expect all dealers to recommend an annual check-up on brand new motorhome’s because it's easy money for them!

Hab services are FREE for five years when you buy one at Johns Cross! new or pre-owned so I don't get any money. my point is that I know from experience bolts can come loose, had it happen on wifes BMW and she only did less than 3000 miles, Ok it was my garage that did the check but besides the point.

Peter

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm not sure if any new owners of Fiat based motorhomes are aware that the Fiat motorhome website (Link Removed) (Seasonal check-up) does not require you to have the engine serviced until its two years old, unless you reach 30,000 miles.

The actual wording on the website is stated below. I questioned this with my local Fiat servicing centre and they were a little reluctant to acknowledge its accuracy! So I now have emailed them with a link to the website.

Looks like this could save quite a few of us some servicing costs in the first year.

Remember that the service coupon must be carried out every 30,000 miles. If you do not do many miles a year, we recommend that you change the oil every two years. To keep your warranty valid, you do not need to have your motorhome serviced at the end of its first year of life, unless you have already completed the mileage specified for a service. Use only the recommended engine oil, Selenia WR, or an equivalent SAE 5W-30 oil that conforms to ACEA C2 standard.

Regards,
Philip

OOOps to late for me Philip...I wished you had put this link on last week:Doh:... I have just booked it in..tooo late now.. 210 euros + tax 19.5% (vat)..for a first service.....he the said I will change your pollen fillter at the same time so that will be extra...I asked does it need to be changed so soooon he said NO as long as it is done by the of the second year:Doh::Eeek:....I said well leave it then:Angry:....BUT HE NEVER MENTIONED ABOUT TWO YEAR SERVICE:Doh::Angry:....BUT 6 MONTHS AGO I CALLED IT AT A FIAT MAIN DEALER IN GRAVELINES AND ASKED WHEN WAS A SERVICE DUE....THEY SAID 48,000 KM OR 12 MONTHS Which ever the sooner...I thought at the time what a big difference......I have done 17,000 and I do a lot of mileage in the motorhome and it is just coming up to 12 months old.

But thanks for the link as it also has useful info...

Mel:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Fiat ducato 2012

My Fiat book says 24 months. So thats when it will be serviced.

I will have the habitation check done to keep the ten year warranty though.

MikeD

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Citroen dealer salesman made a big thing about the 22,000 miles service interval on my new berlingo but that didn't stop Evans Halshaw ringing me at 12 months to say I was due a service. 3 yrs now this June and not given them the pleasure, service it myself

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just taken delivery of our Fiat based Carado and the stealer, sorry dealer has said that it needs to come in at 12months or 30k, so by reading this thread it means that it's actually 24months or 30k, lucky that the service charges are included in the price here:Smile:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Just had our 12mth old done at 3500 miles cost £160 inc vat.
Can't see the point of spending £50k + on new motor home and then skrimping on the servicing was aware of the 2year recommendation but i think that a new engine needs the oil changed after the initial running in period anyway.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've been in touch with Fiat Italy ? Will let you know what response i get, if any?

I'm a bit pi**ed off that dealers think they can get away with providing the wrong advice and charging customers for a service that is not required.

I'm on a mission!!!!http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/angry.gif

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
For those of you following this thread update as promised.

Well, the plot thickens as they say. I contacted Fiat customer services who asked me to supply them with the written quotation from the Fiat dealer, which I did. At the same time I cut and pasted into an email the exact wording from the Fiat website and emailed the dealer for clarification and although the email was read no reply was forthcoming.

I then received a text message from Fiat customer support to ring them; number supplied which I thought to be very odd as it was a 008 number.

On contacting my service provider (virgin Media) I was advised not to ring this number as it would cost me in excess of £1.50 a minute. So I emailed Fiat customer support and asked them to contact me by phone or email as I was not prepared to pay £1.50 for them to tell me the outcome of their investigation. That was a number of days ago and to date I have not had a response from either the dealer or Fiat customer support.

So, I have now contacted trading standards and wait for further progress!

What a palaver

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well, for those who are interested, i have received emails from Fiat customer services, which are self explanatory....in essence a fiat dealer can offer a different service from that stated on there website.

Case reference: 32751471
Re: Fiat Ducato FX11 EEJ

Dear Mr Tew,

We refer to your recent email and write to clarify matters for you in relation to your query regarding service intervals for your Ducato Motorhome.

We have sent your request off to our Warranty department who advise as follows:

‘The customer must follow the instructions in the service and warranty booklet applicable to his vehicle, however, please be aware these are our minimum requirement, the dealer may purely be offering this as THEIR recommendations over and above our minimum requirement'.

We hope this clarifies matters for you, however, please do not hesitate to contact Fiat Customer Relations on 00800 3428 0000, Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 18.00 should you require any assistance in the future.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations
on behalf of Fiat Group Automobiles UK Ltd

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Trading Standards (TS) have finally made contact today and after a discussion I have passed them all relevant information and correspondence.

They have come back to inform me they are now in touch with the primary authority in TS who deal with Fiat and will be in touch.

Maybe the little guy has got a case to answer after all!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've posted this before, under "they kept that quiet" Office of Fair Trading says!

You don't have to get your servicing done by the dealer that sold you the new vehicle, you will still retain you Warrenty! It's repairs, that you have to see the Dealer about. It was something about Independent Garages are 40% cheaper so Consumers should be allowed the choice.

I'm sorry I hav'n't the knowledge to find my original post that gives chapter and verse, but, from memory it's something like OFT 835 sub sect 3.5 that gives you all the bully on it.

Perhaps someone with a great deal more knowledge of this thing I'm sitting in front of can get it back :thumb:

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've been contacted by Trading Standards this morning: There is a case to answer and they are going to take the matter up with both Fiat customer services and the dealer in question.

They said to me they did not agree with a dealer offering me something i did not require. (same as a tyre dealer advising you to change tyres when there is nothing wrong with the ones already fitted).
and they sis not agree with the response I received from Fiat customer support.

I will keep you posted.

The little man has a voice after all !!!!!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Similar situation 12 months ago on the 1st anniversary of my Peugeot Boxer based M/H, main dealer sent me a letter saying the first service was due, (I had only done 1,600miles) I argued the service book said 2 years or 25k miles whichever came first they still insisted a service was due, I got hold of the service manager and he reluctantly agreed that was the case but bloody hell it was like pulling teeth. I've got it booked in next month for it's first (2year) service. As an aside the Peugeot hand book states a non franchised may perform servicing to maintain the warranty but my NOT carry out warranty work, which is fair enough. :thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
well impressed with you perserverance - well done

I've been contacted by Trading Standards this morning: There is a case to answer and they are going to take the matter up with both Fiat customer services and the dealer in question.

They said to me they did not agree with a dealer offering me something i did not require. (same as a tyre dealer advising you to change tyres when there is nothing wrong with the ones already fitted).
and they sis not agree with the response I received from Fiat customer support.

I will keep you posted.

The little man has a voice after all !!!!!

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

chrispidgeon

Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I shall chip in here in case anyone is interested.
I have a 2011 (May) Swift Escape on a Ducato 2.2 Chassis. I bought it second hand, in November 2011, at which point the (non fiat) MH dealer did a basis mech service. Tot mileage is now 3600 ish, 1000 of which is mine since that service.

I was about to blindly book it in for a 12 month fiat service to keep the warranty (2 years, incidentally on a 2011 chassis it seems), and I found this thread.

25000 mile intervals in my service book - nothing about time related services. Rang Fiat Camper on 00800 34281111, and was told that 12 months was recommended but not essential to keep the warranty. 2 years is the required interval.

Bingo. I agree about regular and preventative maintenance, and if I had not had it done before Xmas it would be off to Fiat now, but it was, so I am not going to bother until next year.

Hope that helps.

Chris

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would not worry to much from what I have read the warranty is not up to much anyway::bigsmile:

chrispidgeon

Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
HAHA, I suspected as much.

Nope, I'm glad I looked into this. I had called Sunwin Fiat in Nottingham yesterday to book it in - they never called me back anyway. Amateurs

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
service intervals

I Agree with Johns Cross 2 years is just too long to leave a vehicle without some sort of checking.

I couldn`t careless what the manufacturer says about service intervals I change the oil and filter on all our vehicles twice a year, keeping the oil as clean as possible has meant I have never had to change any injectors or glow plugs.
I drove one car a Peugeot 505 GTD for 210.000 miles and the engine was as sweet as a nut. :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just had our 12mth old done at 3500 miles cost £160 inc vat.
Can't see the point of spending £50k + on new motor home and then skrimping on the servicing was aware of the 2year recommendation but i think that a new engine needs the oil changed after the initial running in period anyway.
My thoughts also, a lot of damaging dwarf can gather in that time. Someone is going to get an excellent secondhand bargain from us two at some stage.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Modern engines are built to such close tolerance these days that there is no running in anymore. Changing oil at ridiculously small mileages is OK if it makes you feel better but completely unnecessary and wasteful. Synthetic oils cling to all the surfaces, it wont all return to the sump like 20/50 gtx :ROFLMAO:
Swarf is a thing of the last century

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Modern engines are built to such close tolerance these days that there is no running in anymore. Changing oil at ridiculously small mileages is OK if it makes you feel better but completely unnecessary and wasteful. Synthetic oils cling to all the surfaces, it wont all return to the sump like 20/50 gtx :ROFLMAO:
Swarf is a thing of the last century

Absolutely... I was a mechanic in a main Vauxhall dealers in the 70,s, strip an engine down and it could have 4 different sized pistons in it. When the engine block was being produced there was a boring bar for each cylinder as each boring bar wore down a different size piston was fitted, I seem to remember there were 7 different sizes before they changed the boring tool, yes in those days running in was necessary. If you wish to dump your synthetic oil at under 2 thousand miles (contrary to the manufacturers, not the dealers recommendations) carry on feeding strawberries to donkeys.:RollEyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I rebuilt my 1972 HC Viva engine and it had 4 piston sizes and ring sets :Eeek:
Best option was a rebore :thumb:
really 125k hard miles and they were ready for scrap :cry:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I rebuilt my 1972 HC Viva engine and it had 4 piston sizes and ring sets :Eeek:
Best option was a rebore :thumb:
really 125k hard miles and they were ready for scrap :cry:

Thanks Techno, you've restored my faith in my long term memory, mind you the long term was never in doubt, what did I have for dinner today? :Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Once upon a time handbooks had running in instructions like dont exceed 70% revs for bla bla bla and change oil after first 500 miles. Those were the days :ROFLMAO:

You wont find that crap in handbooks today

EDIT 2 3 4 and 5 star petrol 2 star forced 5 star out and unleaded appeared. 4 star in 1974 was 49p a GALLON

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
EDIT 2 3 4 and 5 star petrol 2 star forced 5 star out and unleaded appeared. 4 star in 1974 was 49p a GALLON

In 1964. it was 2shillings and 3 (old) Pence for 4Star!!. I had to put 5star in the bike though because it pinked like buggery on less!!. (mind it was running something over 10:1 Cr)

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back