Servicing of new Fiat based motorhomes

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by PhilandMena, Mar 27, 2012.

1. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I'm not sure if any new owners of Fiat based motorhomes are aware that the Fiat motorhome website (http://www.fiatcamper.com/product/seasonal_check_up) (Seasonal check-up) does not require you to have the engine serviced until its two years old, unless you reach 30,000 miles.

The actual wording on the website is stated below. I questioned this with my local Fiat servicing centre and they were a little reluctant to acknowledge its accuracy! So I now have emailed them with a link to the website.

Looks like this could save quite a few of us some servicing costs in the first year.

Remember that the service coupon must be carried out every 30,000 miles. If you do not do many miles a year, we recommend that you change the oil every two years. To keep your warranty valid, you do not need to have your motorhome serviced at the end of its first year of life, unless you have already completed the mileage specified for a service. Use only the recommended engine oil, Selenia WR, or an equivalent SAE 5W-30 oil that conforms to ACEA C2 standard.

Regards,
    Philip

• Like Like x 2
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

An anual check is always worth while, might uncover some hidden gremlin, one never knows!

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

OOOps to late for me Philip...I wished you had put this link on last week:Doh:... I have just booked it in..tooo late now.. 210 euros + tax 19.5% (vat)..for a first service.....he the said I will change your pollen fillter at the same time so that will be extra...I asked does it need to be changed so soooon he said NO as long as it is done by the of the second year:Doh::Eeek:....I said well leave it then:Angry:....BUT HE NEVER MENTIONED ABOUT TWO YEAR SERVICE:Doh::Angry:....BUT 6 MONTHS AGO I CALLED IT AT A FIAT MAIN DEALER IN GRAVELINES AND ASKED WHEN WAS A SERVICE DUE....THEY SAID 48,000 KM OR 12 MONTHS Which ever the sooner...I thought at the time what a big difference......I have done 17,000 and I do a lot of mileage in the motorhome and it is just coming up to 12 months old.

But thanks for the link as it also has useful info...

Mel:thumb:

6. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Fiat ducato 2012

My Fiat book says 24 months. So thats when it will be serviced.

I will have the habitation check done to keep the ten year warranty though.

MikeD

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Citroen dealer salesman made a big thing about the 22,000 miles service interval on my new berlingo but that didn't stop Evans Halshaw ringing me at 12 months to say I was due a service. 3 yrs now this June and not given them the pleasure, service it myself

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Just taken delivery of our Fiat based Carado and the stealer, sorry dealer has said that it needs to come in at 12months or 30k, so by reading this thread it means that it's actually 24months or 30k, lucky that the service charges are included in the price here:Smile:

11. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

Just had our 12mth old done at 3500 miles cost £160 inc vat.
    Can't see the point of spending £50k + on new motor home and then skrimping on the servicing was aware of the 2year recommendation but i think that a new engine needs the oil changed after the initial running in period anyway.

12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I've been in touch with Fiat Italy ? Will let you know what response i get, if any?

I'm a bit pi**ed off that dealers think they can get away with providing the wrong advice and charging customers for a service that is not required.

I'm on a mission!!!!http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/angry.gif

• Like Like x 3
  13. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

For those of you following this thread update as promised.

Well, the plot thickens as they say. I contacted Fiat customer services who asked me to supply them with the written quotation from the Fiat dealer, which I did. At the same time I cut and pasted into an email the exact wording from the Fiat website and emailed the dealer for clarification and although the email was read no reply was forthcoming.

I then received a text message from Fiat customer support to ring them; number supplied which I thought to be very odd as it was a 008 number.

On contacting my service provider (virgin Media) I was advised not to ring this number as it would cost me in excess of £1.50 a minute. So I emailed Fiat customer support and asked them to contact me by phone or email as I was not prepared to pay £1.50 for them to tell me the outcome of their investigation. That was a number of days ago and to date I have not had a response from either the dealer or Fiat customer support.

So, I have now contacted trading standards and wait for further progress!

What a palaver

• Like Like x 3
  14. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Well, for those who are interested, i have received emails from Fiat customer services, which are self explanatory....in essence a fiat dealer can offer a different service from that stated on there website.

Case reference: 32751471
    Re: Fiat Ducato FX11 EEJ

Dear Mr Tew,

We refer to your recent email and write to clarify matters for you in relation to your query regarding service intervals for your Ducato Motorhome.

We have sent your request off to our Warranty department who advise as follows:

‘The customer must follow the instructions in the service and warranty booklet applicable to his vehicle, however, please be aware these are our minimum requirement, the dealer may purely be offering this as THEIR recommendations over and above our minimum requirement'.

We hope this clarifies matters for you, however, please do not hesitate to contact Fiat Customer Relations on 00800 3428 0000, Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 18.00 should you require any assistance in the future.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations
    on behalf of Fiat Group Automobiles UK Ltd

• Like Like x 2
  15. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Trading Standards (TS) have finally made contact today and after a discussion I have passed them all relevant information and correspondence.

They have come back to inform me they are now in touch with the primary authority in TS who deal with Fiat and will be in touch.

Maybe the little guy has got a case to answer after all!

16. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I've posted this before, under "they kept that quiet" Office of Fair Trading says!

You don't have to get your servicing done by the dealer that sold you the new vehicle, you will still retain you Warrenty! It's repairs, that you have to see the Dealer about. It was something about Independent Garages are 40% cheaper so Consumers should be allowed the choice.

I'm sorry I hav'n't the knowledge to find my original post that gives chapter and verse, but, from memory it's something like OFT 835 sub sect 3.5 that gives you all the bully on it.

Perhaps someone with a great deal more knowledge of this thing I'm sitting in front of can get it back :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I've been contacted by Trading Standards this morning: There is a case to answer and they are going to take the matter up with both Fiat customer services and the dealer in question.

They said to me they did not agree with a dealer offering me something i did not require. (same as a tyre dealer advising you to change tyres when there is nothing wrong with the ones already fitted).
    and they sis not agree with the response I received from Fiat customer support.

I will keep you posted.

The little man has a voice after all !!!!!

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Similar situation 12 months ago on the 1st anniversary of my Peugeot Boxer based M/H, main dealer sent me a letter saying the first service was due, (I had only done 1,600miles) I argued the service book said 2 years or 25k miles whichever came first they still insisted a service was due, I got hold of the service manager and he reluctantly agreed that was the case but bloody hell it was like pulling teeth. I've got it booked in next month for it's first (2year) service. As an aside the Peugeot hand book states a non franchised may perform servicing to maintain the warranty but my NOT carry out warranty work, which is fair enough. :thumb:

19. MikeD

MikeD Funster

well impressed with you perserverance - well done

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

20. chrispidgeon

chrispidgeon Read Only Funster

I shall chip in here in case anyone is interested.
    I have a 2011 (May) Swift Escape on a Ducato 2.2 Chassis. I bought it second hand, in November 2011, at which point the (non fiat) MH dealer did a basis mech service. Tot mileage is now 3600 ish, 1000 of which is mine since that service.

I was about to blindly book it in for a 12 month fiat service to keep the warranty (2 years, incidentally on a 2011 chassis it seems), and I found this thread.

25000 mile intervals in my service book - nothing about time related services. Rang Fiat Camper on 00800 34281111, and was told that 12 months was recommended but not essential to keep the warranty. 2 years is the required interval.

Bingo. I agree about regular and preventative maintenance, and if I had not had it done before Xmas it would be off to Fiat now, but it was, so I am not going to bother until next year.

Hope that helps.

Chris