Servicing Costs....ripoff ??? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just got a quote from my Fiat dealer for by-annual service on motorhome, plus cambelt and waterpump. £1054.00. The service alone was around the £800 and I asked how come this was almost twice as much as previous by-annual service costs I had with them and he said I had received numerous discounts which were no longer available to me. They walk amongst us.
Have now received a quote for all of the above for £600.00 which is more like it. Have asked to see all filters removed and ones to be fitted. Also, asked for like for like oil and good quality water pump and cam-belt, i.e. Gates etc., and to confirm quote before booking it in.

Boycey

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Settle
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Sincw2014
Fiat prices are crazy. I broke down in Canterbury on route to Spain in Fiat Ducato Swift. Breakdown company came and said it was plastic cannister that holds the fuel filter. He said it was fault with Fiats. They split in time usually after a service because mechanics tighten them too tight. He said he replaces loads. He was really good, tried to source one. £282 from fiat dealers. If I had to be towed to fiat dealer it would have then been £80 plus for them to fit it. It takes 10 mins. At one dealer it was going to take 3 days to get it. He eventually sourced one from a company that buys parts from Fiat and then sells on to trade. £141.00 Just had to wait in Canterbury for another 24 hours. Breakdown man came back following day with part and fit it for free. The company decided it was cheaper for them to do it that way than tow me 320miles back home. Brilliant service.

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
I do my own and stamp the book with my own stamp. Never had a problem reselling. Dealers only like to see a stamped up book and don't really care who has done it. After all they aren't buying it for themselves to use.
But I am fully competent to service and repair the vehicle. £195 is a lot to pay for an oil abd filter change at very low mileage. Oil £70 and filter £10 max. Nice work if you can get it. max time to do = 30 mins. No need to wait for oil to drain go and do something else whilst it drains or suck the lot out with a pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I have budgeted £130 per month to cover
Storage cost - £400
Insurance - £400
Tax - £165
MOT - £50
Service - £300
Hab check - £250

Due in for our first MOT/Service and Hab check in May be interested to see how much I actually get charged so see if I budgeted correctly.

Got a years warranty so will get lot done however thinking Hab check bi yearly alot of peeps I know get hab check bi yearly.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi, checked fleabay, full service kit £44.50 (non genuine) Peugeot stuff £62 full synthetic oil from halfrauds 6 litres £49.99.
Then decent Peugeot dealer to remove items and refit £40 -£80 per hour !! and dispose of old items/oil !!
I would say £195 is a bargain !!
BTW in their service are they going to clean/adjust brakes, top up windscreen wash ect ? because that usually classed as extra's
Local guy i used did all of the usuing Genuine Peugeot parts and i happily paid £237:49 inc the dread VAT

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
1st service at Becks today

Engine oil, filter, check lights and levels , tyres and exhaust and grease locks and linkages.
Damp check and under body spray
FOC courtesy car

Total £348 . (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
That is £162.50 (£32.50 goes to HMRC in the form of VAT @ 20%).

Cost of service spares/parts/fluids
Cost of oil/fluid disposal
Cost of Waste product license
They have massive operating costs.
Not forgetting the staff will want paying!, not just the guy/gal doing the service. But the person that answers the phone to book you in, print your invoice on the printer that needs supplies, etc etc.

And then, when they have paid the Staff, they will have to pay the Employers NIC 13.8% ( i think) on top of the salaries.

And then, should they manage to make a profit, they will pay another 20% Tax in the form of Corporation tax.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
My headache comes this week, full service, hab service, gearbox oil change, diff oil change, fit the Efoy from my last van and a new new TV ariel, I may have to remortgage:swear2:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
1st service at Becks today

Engine oil, filter, check lights and levels , tyres and exhaust and grease locks and linkages.
Damp check and under body spray
FOC courtesy car

Total £348 . (y)
That would have cost me £630 at Lowdhams had I taken up the offer. That's why I went the independent route at £270 for both habitation and vehicle service.
Still had to have water ingress test at £135 done by Lowdhams though whilst under warranty. Becks appear very reasonable and I would have chosen them too had I been able to.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just booked Fiat / Hymer into Fiat main dealer for 1st service, oil & filter change and check over, cost £195.
Sounds a lot to me or am I getting tight in my old age :Eeek:
First service, I don't think that's too bad a price.
Once you've got the important services (van is out of warranty) out of the way, you can service it yourself saving ££££'s

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back