Servicing Costs....ripoff ??? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry LarryHappyChappy type fellow, you have loaded the gun and so I will fire it ..................................

Miserable OLD tight git. How Win puts up with you I will never understand. If there are two really hard done by ladies, it's her and OldMo's Judy. My god you and him together could so easily make the world a better place ............. cough cough, fares to Switzerland are not that expensive. :devil::Grin:

They are two very lucky ladies, @old-mo Bro and me are the salt of the earth, healthy, good looking, modest gentlemen that they should be proud to be owned by :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It sounds the same one as mine, a low mileage (3800) service which is an oil and filter change and check over .
I put the details on a similar thread regarding both the cost and the scope of the work for servicing my MH.
It was only at Year 4 that they told me the oil change was dependant on the computer decided oil condition and age and basically this was 2 years or 20k miles. This led me to look at the previous invoices and wrote them a letter to complain that as the main agent they should be able to be honest and fair.
My next full major main dealer service is FREE as they admitted that I was overcharged for unnecessary work at years 1 and 3.
Regarding the prices, the service at £195 is an oil and filter change and a visual safety check ( which they do for free anyway!). If the oil and filter is not required the bill should be about £100 as the oil is approx £80 and the filter £18.
I would be asking some questions before they fit parts that Fiat say do not need replacing.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I asked for a first service check and was told that I didn't need it as it is 2 years for the first or some many many miles. They did offer the low mileage service as an alternative if I wanted a service. This I opted for as it was brand new when I bought it and I just wanted peace of mind that all was well and having done 7.5k wanted the oil changed. Whether I keep this up I don't know, but there wasn't any pushing into getting it serviced just my choice.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
That's cheap Larry.

My audi A6 has told me (it speaks to me) it needs to be inspected and have its oil changed...I've done 19k in 8 months and it will cost a few pound short of £500 oh I need two tyres a well on the front at a staggering £245 each. .

But listen to this...they will do it whilst I wait and they supply WiFi an inspection zone and last but not least. ..COFFEE. .

Can't wait...

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Two posts above have said £70 and £80 just for oil! Can I ask what type of oil? My 2.8jtd takes 7ltrs so I buy 10ltrs for less than £20.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Two posts above have said £70 and £80 just for oil! Can I ask what type of oil? My 2.8jtd takes 7ltrs so I buy 10ltrs for less than £20.
the new fiats etc are fully synthetic oil only and take 11 or 12 litres. put cheap multigrade oil in and the engine will seize very quickly

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It's called Selenia and is as far as I can tell impossible to source from anywhere other than a Fiat dealer.
Yes the cost is ridiculously expensive but what choice is there if it needs changing?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I paid £58.31 and £11.09 plus VAT (circa £70 and £14) for 7 units of oil and the filter and £75.00 for the service and health check. There were also the standard ancillaries of screen wash, brake cleaner and a gasket.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
£40 worth of tax, £60 for the oil and depending what filter a £10.

Only leaves around enough for a hours labour at a main dealer.

Expensive but it is what it is nowadays :(

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now I'm totally confused as I can't fathom WHAT you are actually trying to say!!! :D2
Yes I get the same glazed over look when I try to explain

In a nut shell
Consumer law says you are to get a 1 year warranty minimum and dealer has no say in where it must be serviced to comply because it is a legal right
that you can as you rightly say go to any vat registered independent who must use OE or better parts, and carry out service to main agents specification.
Job Done

Year 2 and 3 and 4 etc etc
Which are in fact "Extended Warranties" are free and in addition to your statuary rights as a consumer, and the seller can impose what restrictions he likes. on year 2/3/4/etc extended warranty period
Ergo if he says you must turn up at his dealership in a blue suit on any Thursday and pay £500 for his service team to carry out years 2/3/4/etc servicing as and when due then you must comply
or risk loosing your "Extended Warranty" as you would if you exceeded milage or time limits

Im saying you may not dictate where it goes after year 1
Any one care to test this argument
G

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

In a nut shell
Consumer law says you are to get a 1 year warranty minimum and dealer has no say in where it must be serviced to comply because it is a legal right
that you can as you rightly say go to any vat registered independent who must use OE or better parts, and carry out service to main agents specification.
Job Done

Which are in fact "Extended Warranties" are free and in addition to your statuary rights as a consumer, and the seller can impose what restrictions he likes. on year 2/3/4/etc extended warranty period
Ergo if he says you must turn up at his dealership in a blue suit on any Thursday and pay £500 for his service team to carry out years 2/3/4/etc servicing as and when due then you must comply
or risk loosing your "Extended Warranty" as you would if you exceeded milage or time limits

G

Huh, not likely Geo, you're bigger than me :D

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Last May I bought an oil filter and a fuel filter from a Fiat dealer for an X250.
I parted with £84.08 TRADE as sons' have a garage. So I would guess some of the low prices quoted for servicing on here do not include OEM parts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

In a nut shell
Job Done

G
Now I understand you Geo ... I've actually tested it in the past regarding habitation side of things as we had a Chausson and used a non-franchised chap who used to work at a Chausson dealership (not the one we bought from) which had closed but he had kept his Chausson registration active so was allowed to do servicing and warranty work so when ours needed a new hab door and tap in year 2 he was able to get them and permission to carry out the work without a problem.

Regarding the base vehicle, again I've tested this out in the past and had no issue whatsoever with having warranty work done in year 2 (or might have been 3!) when the base servicing had always been done by an independent garage and not Fiat.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's called Selenia and is as far as I can tell impossible to source from anywhere other than a Fiat dealer.
Yes the cost is ridiculously expensive but what choice is there if it needs changing?

Made by Petronas . Put 'Selenia oil' in google

In a nut shell
Job Done

G

EU law states 2 years.
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/rights-contracts/sales-guarantee/index_en.htm

Ford dealer here was trying to flog me a "3 year guarantee" when I pointed out the first 2 years were gtd under eu rules he lost interest.:D

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just booked Fiat / Hymer into Fiat main dealer for 1st service, oil & filter change and check over, cost £195.
Sounds a lot to me or am I getting tight in my old age :Eeek:
Try your nearest Fiat commercial garage. Ours was £130 at North East Truck and Van.
Also, car dealers don't have the lifting gear for heavy Motorhomes.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I bought from Becks they suggested a Fiat dealership for base vehicle service.
I will take it to Becks for habitation check, hopefully a bit less :rolleyes:
Larry, I bought mine from Becks. They (and the Fiat service book) said 2 years between engine service. All you need to have done to maintain your Hymer warranties is the damp check and underbody spray (which is for the water ingress warranty) - they charged me £195 for that. That is all I had done.

If you want the Hymer habitation service it is £149, or you can get both for £295.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Larry, I bought mine from Becks. They (and the Fiat service book) said 2 years between engine service. All you need to have done to maintain your Hymer warranties is the damp check and underbody spray (which is for the water ingress warranty) - they charged me £195 for that. That is all I had done.

If you want the Hymer habitation service it is £149, or you can get both for £295.

Thanks Peter, have just checked my Fiat handbook and yes every two years but oil and filter change annually depending on use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Fiat based PVC isn't 2 years old until May but we're going away in April when we will be doing a fair bit of mileage (we do around 11k a year) and currently have over 15k on it, so we're going to have a service done before we leave - we had the brakes checked after our last holiday (November) and the wheels changed front to back (diagonally) so it will be just the standard service without the brakes being done again.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Just out of interest is the underbody spray required from the first year onwards, if so what is it they spray it with and how often is it required there after
Thks

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just out of interest is the underbody spray required from the first year onwards, if so what is it they spray it with and how often is it required there after
Thks

I rang Becks this afternoon to book the first damp check and under spray.
I was told that to maintain the water penetration warranty it required an annual damp check and under spray :Eeek:

I asked the question , what if the roof leaks? Not covered if warranty not maintained.
Couldn't quite see the link between under spray and roof or other leak ...:doh:

Apparently the underbody spray is damp proofing not an under seal

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just booked Fiat / Hymer into Fiat main dealer for 1st service, oil & filter change and check over, cost £195.
Sounds a lot to me or am I getting tight in my old age :Eeek:
Hi Larry and Winn ,hope you guys are well .I don't think that is too bad .Top quality oil alone is now very expensive and also labour costs .I know what it costs me to employ people and it's eye watering :eek:
But most importantly Larry you have a very nice vehicle and it gives you peace of mind(y):)
Best regards
Brian & Jo

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I rang Becks this afternoon to book the first damp check and under spray.
I was told that to maintain the water penetration warranty it required an annual damp check and under spray :Eeek:

I asked the question , what if the roof leaks? Not covered if warranty not maintained.
Couldn't quite see the link between under spray and roof or other leak ...:doh:
Wow, they charge you 75 big ones then can't/don't guarantee there product for more than a year unless you treat it with a spray (unknown) o_O that only last a year, then you have to pay them every year and this from the premium brand:Eeek:
Why not just use waxoil it ?
Am intrested as I have a Burnster (part of the same group I believe) needing its first hab check shortly and won't be happy if they pull that stroke

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Wow, they charge you 75 big ones then can't/don't guarantee there product for more than a year unless you treat it with a spray (unknown) o_O that only last a year, then you have to pay them every year and this from the premium brand:Eeek:
Why not just use waxoil it ?
Am intrested as I have a Burnster (part of the same group I believe) needing its first hab check shortly and won't be happy if they pull that stroke

When I get there I will get clarification. I talked to a lady on the phone.
I apologised for appearing dumb in not seeing the connection between an underbody spray and an overall damp penetration warranty.

I'm still dumb..........

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Most manufacturers require a damp check every year in order to maintain their damp penetration warranty. It is in order to spot any leaks before they do any harm. Not sure about what the underspray part is for, but I knew all this before I bought the motorhome. Unlike some Hymer do not require a yearly habitation check as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back