Servicing and temperature gauge issue!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Coolbeanz, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

:helpsos: Our temperature gauge has developed a mind of it's own and is acting like it's on acid!! It gradually raises up as if it's going to overheat and then suddenly drops down before jerking up and down at high speed. Has anyone come across this before or has any idea what may be the cause :Confused:
    Also we want to get it serviced so can anyone recommend a good place to take it around North Essex, South Suffolk area :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Dodgy sender or dodgy connection I would have thought. Worth having a google to find out where the sender is and giving the connections a wee clean/rub down with something abrasive.

HTH

Tim

3. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

it sound like it is shorting out with vibration on the engine
    check the lead is securely attached to the unit sender

can not help on service in your area
    if it was an RV then i could recommend some one

so if you ever feel you ready to get a real motorhome a proper yank tank
    let me know

only joking yours is a real motorhome just a Eurobox.

>>>> runs for cover :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We used to have ours serviced by Bentley Leisure, however they are closing down and been recommended Thorrington Auto Centre on the corner of B1027 and Brightlingsea Road.:thumb:

5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

As already stated, connection point or sender. You can first clean the connector and ensure it is getting a good earth and see if that settles it - failing that, the sender unit itself is probably faulty - quite common and cheap and easy to replace.

Before this happened, was the gauge steady, or did it rise and fall with load?

6. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

This was our first trip in the MH and we only noticed it playing up about 1 week in to the trip so we are guessing it is a new occurrence. We'll try what you've all suggested and hopefully get it sorted without having to resort to a hefty mechanics bill :cry:

7. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Temp gauge

Hi,

Back in 1996 I took my then new Dethleffs (fiat base with 2.8 turbo engine) to the Somme with a couple of old school mates. On the day before we were due to catch the ferry from Calais , whilst returning to the campsite, the temp gauge went of the scale. I rang the recovery service which got us all the way home on the back of a truck. It turned out to be a faulty sender, not a true overheating problem, and - so I was told - not an uncommon fault. Glad I didn't risk driving on though!

Gary :BigGrin:

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Easy to replace if it is faulty, you won't need a mechanic if you can tighten a bolt. Sounds patronising - but I actually had a friend who I hand a spanner once and he asked 'What do i do with it? Which way does it go?':Eeek:

I never appreciated how non-mechanically minded some people could be until then - so I assume nothing nowdays!

Remove the wiring connector. Using a spanner, loosen until you can turn with your hand. Turn with your left hand, holding the new one in the right. As the old pops out, put the new one in quick, and tighten by hand, and then nip it up a little. Saves loosing too much water!

No top up water, leave cap off and run for a while until any air is epelled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Is there any evidence that the engine actually is hot - eg does the electric cooling fan come on?

If not then I agree with the others on here.

But it just could be a sticking thermostat, also not too difficult to replace.

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

If your looking for something abrasive there are one or two funsters that you may wish to consider.:Eeek:

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

No sign of actual overheating at all so hopefully we will know be able to solve it with all the helpful advice from you guys :thumb: