Servicing and temperature gauge issue!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
:helpsos: Our temperature gauge has developed a mind of it's own and is acting like it's on acid!! It gradually raises up as if it's going to overheat and then suddenly drops down before jerking up and down at high speed. Has anyone come across this before or has any idea what may be the cause :Confused:
Also we want to get it serviced so can anyone recommend a good place to take it around North Essex, South Suffolk area :thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:helpsos: Our temperature gauge has developed a mind of it's own and is acting like it's on acid!! It gradually raises up as if it's going to overheat and then suddenly drops down before jerking up and down at high speed. Has anyone come across this before or has any idea what may be the cause :Confused:
Also we want to get it serviced so can anyone recommend a good place to take it around North Essex, South Suffolk area :thumb:

Dodgy sender or dodgy connection I would have thought. Worth having a google to find out where the sender is and giving the connections a wee clean/rub down with something abrasive.

HTH

Tim

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

it sound like it is shorting out with vibration on the engine
check the lead is securely attached to the unit sender

can not help on service in your area
if it was an RV then i could recommend some one

so if you ever feel you ready to get a real motorhome a proper yank tank
let me know

only joking yours is a real motorhome just a Eurobox.

>>>> runs for cover :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We used to have ours serviced by Bentley Leisure, however they are closing down and been recommended Thorrington Auto Centre on the corner of B1027 and Brightlingsea Road.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As already stated, connection point or sender. You can first clean the connector and ensure it is getting a good earth and see if that settles it - failing that, the sender unit itself is probably faulty - quite common and cheap and easy to replace.

Before this happened, was the gauge steady, or did it rise and fall with load?

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
As already stated, connection point or sender. You can first clean the connector and ensure it is getting a good earth and see if that settles it - failing that, the sender unit itself is probably faulty - quite common and cheap and easy to replace.

Before this happened, was the gauge steady, or did it rise and fall with load?

This was our first trip in the MH and we only noticed it playing up about 1 week in to the trip so we are guessing it is a new occurrence. We'll try what you've all suggested and hopefully get it sorted without having to resort to a hefty mechanics bill :cry:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Temp gauge

Hi,

Back in 1996 I took my then new Dethleffs (fiat base with 2.8 turbo engine) to the Somme with a couple of old school mates. On the day before we were due to catch the ferry from Calais , whilst returning to the campsite, the temp gauge went of the scale. I rang the recovery service which got us all the way home on the back of a truck. It turned out to be a faulty sender, not a true overheating problem, and - so I was told - not an uncommon fault. Glad I didn't risk driving on though!

Gary ::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This was our first trip in the MH and we only noticed it playing up about 1 week in to the trip so we are guessing it is a new occurrence. We'll try what you've all suggested and hopefully get it sorted without having to resort to a hefty mechanics bill :cry:

Easy to replace if it is faulty, you won't need a mechanic if you can tighten a bolt. Sounds patronising - but I actually had a friend who I hand a spanner once and he asked 'What do i do with it? Which way does it go?':Eeek:

I never appreciated how non-mechanically minded some people could be until then - so I assume nothing nowdays!

Remove the wiring connector. Using a spanner, loosen until you can turn with your hand. Turn with your left hand, holding the new one in the right. As the old pops out, put the new one in quick, and tighten by hand, and then nip it up a little. Saves loosing too much water!

No top up water, leave cap off and run for a while until any air is epelled.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Is there any evidence that the engine actually is hot - eg does the electric cooling fan come on?

If not then I agree with the others on here.

But it just could be a sticking thermostat, also not too difficult to replace.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Dodgy sender or dodgy connection I would have thought. Worth having a google to find out where the sender is and giving the connections a wee clean/rub down with something abrasive.

HTH

Tim

If your looking for something abrasive there are one or two funsters that you may wish to consider.:Eeek:

Wyn

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Is there any evidence that the engine actually is hot - eg does the electric cooling fan come on?

If not then I agree with the others on here.

But it just could be a sticking thermostat, also not too difficult to replace.

No sign of actual overheating at all so hopefully we will know be able to solve it with all the helpful advice from you guys :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back