Service schedule for Peugeot Boxer. (1 Viewer)

shezza

Free Member
Jun 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi All I have a new Sunseeker (2009) on a Peugeot Boxer.The service schedule in the Boxer manual say's every two years, But i have heard that it should be every year.What do others think?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
H Shezza, yes it is 2 years. My local Peugeot dealer confirmed this several times during my 17 recalls (Toyota are only novices).
My local garage has a lot more brain than my dealer so he has a full service kit and the service is next week. It is a long time but we assume they no the best as I'm sure they would fleece us with a yearly service if required.
Wiljoy

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
My local Peugeot dealer confirmed this several times during my 17 recalls (Toyota are only novices)

That's amazing :Eeek:

Can you recall what all the recalls were for

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi All I have a new Sunseeker (2009) on a Peugeot Boxer.The service schedule in the Boxer manual say's every two years, But i have heard that it should be every year.What do others think?

A 2007 Boxer.
Had mine serviced November 2009, 20000 on the clock, before going to Spain for the winter, & dealer provides invoice with further schedule for next service.

Next service November 2012 or 40000 miles.

Do as the service schedule says, I cannot see any reason to do otherwise - as long as all is well.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had the initial freebie and then changed the oil every six months irrespective of what the schedule said. Never more than 12 months without checking brakes etc.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had the initial freebie and then changed the oil every six months irrespective of what the schedule said. Never more than 12 months without checking brakes etc. Never had a problem but my preventative approach has found various things (including the common rail) working loose or vibrating themselves to death.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
On a Boxer you should have a yearly check not a service as such, costs about £60 bit of a con but ensures warranty is maintained. I queried a two year service cost at a Peugeot main dealer and was quoted £420. I shall be making a number of phone calls next November!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Watch my lips::bigsmile:
There is no substitute for an annual service and inspection:shout:
Geo

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
If you have the trip conputer set correctly you can get it to display the number of miles to go to the next oil change which is as you say 20K unless its been driven under arduous conditions when its around 16K

Phill

wills5138

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Nort West Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I have just had my AS Symbol on a Boxer serviced and the cam belt changed.
All was going OK until the rear brakes were checked. Brakes shoes needed replacing and the cylinders were leaking on both wheels.
Now here comes the rub of the story.
Peugeot quoted shoes at £220 + VAT and the cylinders at £96 + VAT EACH!!!!!
That would have added another £485 onto an already expensive bill.
The garage managed to source pattern parts and saved the better part of £300.
Still cost me £955. At least that should be it for another 2 years.
Funny thing was the van was checked over last year and the rear brakes were shown as OK then. From my viewpoint, unless you're handy enough to do the checks yourself, an annual safety check by a garage sounds a good idea.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I have just had my AS Symbol on a Boxer serviced and the cam belt changed.
All was going OK until the rear brakes were checked. Brakes shoes needed replacing and the cylinders were leaking on both wheels.
Now here comes the rub of the story.
Peugeot quoted shoes at £220 + VAT and the cylinders at £96 + VAT EACH!!!!!
That would have added another £485 onto an already expensive bill.
The garage managed to source pattern parts and saved the better part of £300.
Still cost me £955. At least that should be it for another 2 years.
Funny thing was the van was checked over last year and the rear brakes were shown as OK then. From my viewpoint, unless you're handy enough to do the checks yourself, an annual safety check by a garage sounds a good idea.

I'm guessing this is a pre 2006 Boxer as I think the Boxers / Relays after 2006, at least the 2.2 engines, don't have cam belts?

If you could be sure all the service items would be done, then an annual service may be worthwhile, but (according to the independent Which magazine who send pre checked cars in for services, then check them again afterwards) they never are.

Franchised dealers came out no better than independent garages, just more expensive.

In their last check with 50 cars services, 26 garages missed low brake fluid, and 20 charged for screenwash when it was already full.

The last time I took a vehicle in for service was my Vauxhall Agila which I took in to the local Vauxhall main dealer for warranty service. He has ticked the box for checking the power steering fluid even though the car doesn't have any fluid - the power steering is all electric :Doh:

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
On Monday I have the 'van booked in to be serviced and all brake pads replaced, all genuine FIAT parts, for just under £500 incl VAT.
This is the second annual service with the mileage close to 22K. I'm reasonably happy with that figure but in the knowledge that cheaper parts could have been sourced. I'll stick with FIAT parts until the warranty runs its course, then shop around.
Geoff.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I've had my 2006 Castaway (Boxer 2.8) serviced every year, regardless.
To spend all that money on a MH then scrimp on the servicing or at least a check is, IMHO, bordering on stupidity.
I've never understood people who, after spending sometimes upwards of £40,000 on their vehicles, complain about the cost of running the thing!
If you can't afford to run it, why buy it in the first place? :Doh:

(I'm now running very quickly to the hills!)

Steve928

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Funster No
I've had my 2006 Castaway (Boxer 2.8) serviced every year, regardless.
To spend all that money on a MH then scrimp on the servicing or at least a check is, IMHO, bordering on stupidity.
I've never understood people who, after spending sometimes upwards of £40,000 on their vehicles, complain about the cost of running the thing!
If you can't afford to run it, why buy it in the first place? :Doh:

(I'm now running very quickly to the hills!)

Spending money regardless (of recommended service intervals) could also be regarded as bordering on stupidity.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Spending money regardless (of recommended service intervals) could also be regarded as bordering on stupidity.

You may well be right, but I'd rather be cautiously stupid and have a serviced vehicle than look stupid stood at the side of the road because I hadn't been looking after it!

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
On Monday I have the 'van booked in to be serviced and all brake pads replaced, all genuine FIAT parts, for just under £500 incl VAT.
This is the second annual service with the mileage close to 22K. I'm reasonably happy with that figure but in the knowledge that cheaper parts could have been sourced. I'll stick with FIAT parts until the warranty runs its course, then shop around.
Geoff.

I would have thought the brake pads would last more than 22,000 miles on a motorhome. Can't last very long with whitevanman :Eeek:

If you use non fiat pads (which can't be any worse if Fiat pads only last 22,000 miles?) I would have thought that your warranty could only be affected if you were claiming on something directly related to the brake pads?

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have my Fiat ducato 2.3 serviced every year, done 3500 miles since the last one. Next service in 2 weeks time.

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
The reason why I am having the pads replaced at 22K is that here on the forum some others have found it necessary to replace pads at about that mileage: I had the unfortunate experience last year on Route 55 Sognefjell Pass in Norway of brake fade; it made me realise how important reliable brakes are and I'm not taking any chances.
It will be interesting to see what condition the pads are in when taken off on Monday and whether my decision was prudent.
If in the event of a braking failure accident, someone would surely enquire as to the maintenance of the vehicle and what parts might have been used. Do you think that FIAT would stand by me if their components were not used.
Geoff

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
The reason why I am having the pads replaced at 22K is that here on the forum some others have found it necessary to replace pads at about that mileage: I had the unfortunate experience last year on Route 55 Sognefjell Pass in Norway of brake fade; it made me realise how important reliable brakes are and I'm not taking any chances.
It will be interesting to see what condition the pads are in when taken off on Monday and whether my decision was prudent.
If in the event of a braking failure accident, someone would surely enquire as to the maintenance of the vehicle and what parts might have been used. Do you think that FIAT would stand by me if their components were not used.
Geoff

So your brake fade was not down to the age of the brake pads then?
If your driving gets the brakes hot enough to fade then I guess the pads wouldn't last long :Eeek:
If you had a braking failure accident, wouldn't it be a case of your insurance company standing by you, rather than FIAT?

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Peter
On the occasion in Norway when the brakes could have so seriously let me down was after many miles of steep downhill, hairpins and following others, wasn't helped by having a full load on board.
My mechanic's recommendation was to have fluid checked for moisure and to replace the pads at the next service; that is what I'm planning to do.
Yes I will be dissapointed if I do not get better from them next time; with experience I now use the engine to control such decents .
Geoff

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Geoff,

You raise a very important point. I am sure there are many motorhome drivers who have moved on from driving light vehicles where they have never needed to know about brake fade before.
Thank you for your honesty.
I too would replace the pads if they have been hot enough to fade.
Glad its all worked out OK with no harm done :thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Had my 2008 boxer serviced a month ago, at its 2 year anniversary, cost approx £230 - since this is rather less than my car, which needs servicing twice as often, I thought this was quite good.

To those that say you should ignore recommended service intervals and have the service more often, I would say why? Over the last 40 years service intervals have gradually been extended and every time some people argued it was not right to extend them. If you believe some of these we would still be greasing vehicles every week!

Technology moves on, take advantage of it!

(Actually its not 2 years, its 2 years or 20000 miles whichever comes first)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back