Serious question.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tom A, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Tom A

Tom A Funster

We are sat in our van on the Aire at Honfleur next to a French couple. We've heard a lot of arguing coming from thir van and I don't like the sounds the woman keeps making.
    I'm not scared of confrontation but Sue is just the opposite.
    It's gone quite at the minute but what would you have done and what would you do if it starts again ?

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

What sort of sound is she making?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH................................GLUG GLUG GLUG.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

My French is non existent, I would attempt to enlist the help of another french-man before going in, best of luck with that one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Have things quietened down is she alright.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Are you sure they are not making noisy "sport de chambre" you could always put on your best smiley face, carry a bottle of champers tap on the window and call "coo coo les amoureux"

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tom A

Tom A Funster

A lot of screaming and shouting. I think they were just having a good row. He's just been out for a cigarette and no blood and gore on his clothes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Soooooo, she's washing her hair then :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  9. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Go and knock and check everything is ok. To do nothing is not an option.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Welcome to France .... same as Blighty but different lingo

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phill D

Phill D

Move!

enlist the help of others on the aire to asses things, then move..

• Like Like x 1
  12. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Unless you truly suspect one is killing the other stay away, arguments between couples are rarely made any better by "well meaning" folks adding a their bit ..... and if you peak little or no French .... WHAT are you going to say ... the response could be rather abrupt and rude ... but if you speak no French ... what the hell ... in emergencies dial 112 .. English speaking emergency services

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

And take a large revolver. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ooooh Ooooh Yeeeeessss Yeeeeessss Stop it I like it.

John.

• Like Like x 1
  15. webby1

webby1 Funster

Serious Question?.......................humorous responses????

If it really worries you then you have to do something or you would not forgive yourself.
    Remember the case in America (where else) when a women was killed whilst people watched from their windows.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

I would go outside and make some noise, knock and ask to borrow something it doesn't have to be confrontational.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tom A

Tom A Funster

All quite on the western front at the minute. I think she's the boss giving him grief.

• Like Like x 3
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Go and ask if you can borrow something like a corkscrew or tin opener and that way you'll get to see she's ok

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tom A

Tom A Funster

No more noise through the night so probably did best thing staying away.

• Like Like x 2
  19. buttons

buttons Funster

My advice is to stop using Aires, they park you too close together.

20. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

The french do tend to be "vocal and animated" our friends argue such that you may think they would rip out each others throats voices at full volume. Maybe not at the same level as the Italians but still could be rather disconcerting for we brits wo in general tend to argue under our breaths, we have "heated discussions" whilst preparing the veg for dinner, glaring at each other whilst at the same time smiling at those who may pass within hearing range, raising one hand as if to say "hi folks".
    Angry words exchanged at a whisper, rage conveyed with a smile and all the time looking like the perfect couple to all those near that we may be considered as "that lovely couple, so much in love ..... they NEVER argue you know". God forbid that others may think that we too have disagreements and cannot always see eye to eye, compound the fact that we choose to live for days and weeks at a time in a small metal box no where to escape from each other, it's peeing down with rain blowing a howler and the bloody tele won't work........ ARGHHHH!!!! .... You loose it and all pretence is dropped and war commences, all the bottled up rage comes pouring fourth, minor misunderstandings from eons back are brought into the argument to aide your indignation that your better half cannot or will not see YOU ARE RIGHT ....... Veg is now being HACKED to death, spuds tremble in the pan knowing that after being boiled to death you will bash the hell out of them ...... Dog is now in a corner terrified to such a degree it has gone and shit on the floor, you raise the big sharp knife and bring it down with all your force to try and cut the turnip in half in one go ......... half way through it stops ..... it's stuck ...... bloody thing won't come out again ...... bloody holiday .... shitty weather .... even worse I've overstepped the mark ..... said things I shouldn't have ..... O have I got some humble pie to eat ..... F**K .....F**K .... F**K could it get any worse ... (tap .. tap .. tap) should be a knock but the owner of the tapping hand is a little scared so it comes out as a pathetic tap. You look at each other, the dog trembles again..... you open the MH door and there before you stands a chappie with a string of onions round his neck, pushing a push bike and wearing a beret . "allo . I come for big noise BLAH ..BLAH .. BLAH .. your wife is good .. worried you make she dead ?? You take a deep breath and say "Well hello dear chap, please do come in let me show you all is happy in camp nous" NOT BLOODY LIKELY .... A serious subject and not one easily covered I suspect, I put a humerous slant on it and hope I have not offended anyone who has experienced violence .... but for my humble part .... I would council caution in such circumstances, with English speakers in dispute you may be able to get the gist of the problem but in another language? . My wife and I speak french but when a couple "go at it" they use slang and words cut short, words melt into each other and comprehension for us is lost. If truly worried, and there are others of the same nationality as the "at war couple" politely, as best you can, ask them to intervene, they know the customs appropriate, if not ring 112 the international emergency services ... Keep yourself safe, there are sharp knifes in that there MH

• Like Like x 6