Serious fridge problem in France (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Stopped for coffee in a layby this morning and discovered black smoke pouring out of my top fridge vent. I whipped off the lower cover to find the wiring in flames.

I instinctively blew out the flames and unplugged all the hot connectors I could find, which amazingly worked.

However i now have a non functional fridge with most of the wiring around the back reduced to soot, though disconnected and safe. I realise this could have been disastrous if I had not discovered it so soon, and with 50+ litres of LPG on board could have been been a big hole in the ground.

Its safe now but of course not working. We are on a site 'La Marjorie' at Lons le Saunier in the Jura with our mountain of frozen food in the bottom of the sites ice cream freezer but we are in urgent need of fridge repairs.

Does anyone know of anywhere local to here who might be helpful?

We are hoping the site staff may be able to contact someone for us tomorrow (Monday) as our French is just about adequate for a restaurant but not much more.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had a fridge problem last yr in France and went to a Camping Car dealers-they sorted it out.
Your campsite should know the nearest Camping Car or Caravan dealer I would have thought.Or they could find the nearest Dometic agent for you.
Sorry I can't be more help-good luck,Mike.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks, thats what we thought. These things always happen on a Sunday when everywheres closed.

Its a pity its not one of the manual changeover type 3 way fridges as the wiring is pretty simple and I could rewire it myself. The automatic energy selection ones are a lot more complicated though.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have a closer look at whats left of the wiring.

i assume it was running on 12v (engine) at the time so it may just be the 12v heater coil wiring which had shorted and started the fire.

the 12v (engine running) side , being a simple heating coil powered from the engine battery, should be independant of the 12v supply for gas operation so it may still work on gas.

as long as all the 12v engine wiring is safely isolated i would give it a try.....if theres no power to the 12v PCB it wont work anyway.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suspect from the timing of the fire that the 12v wiring to the pcb was the original start to the fire when it switched to gas as it does 15 minutes after t.he engine is stopped. The resulting heat also burnt some of the mains wiring though this could not have been the original source as no mains was connected at the time.
As you say the gas will not work unless 12v is connected.:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I suspect from the timing of the fire that the 12v wiring to the pcb was the original start to the fire when it switched to gas as it does 15 minutes after t.he engine is stopped. The resulting heat also burnt some of the mains wiring though this could not have been the original source as no mains was connected at the time.
fair comment....i assumed the fire was already underway when you stopped pointing to the 12v engine supply:Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

What kind of fridge do you have? on the dometic (electrolux) manual, all three systems on the fridge work independent of the other two.

Your gas system should still be working if you can light the gas manually (I have done this many times) and that's if it has suffered no fire damage! Take care!!!

Doug...

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
There is one camping car dealer listed locally in the yellow pages. It is "JURALOISIR". The link below should give you the details but in case not it is on RN83 NW of Lons le Saunier in the area of "Villeneuve sous Pymont".

Juraloisir
RN83
Feschaux
Villeneuve sous Pymont

Tel: 03 84 47 23 32

It doesn't give gps ref but if you click on "vue aerienne" you will get a decent satellite view of the place. Hope this is of some help

Link Removed

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why not just pop along to le-clerc and buy a little camping fridge (top lid type) you can always flog it on ebay later, at least your wine will be cool

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have decided our best bet is to come home and get it fixed here as it doesn't look like a short job, and we still don't know the cause. Bit of a shame as we intended to be in France for 2 months and have actually only managed 4 days.
Hopefully we can come back later after Johns Cross have fixed it, preferably adding a few in line fuses as I was surprised that it could short out without burning out any fuses.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking of going down the portable fridge route but SWMBO vetoed that one.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you would be surprised how cool a non working fridge remains. I'd stick it out a bit longer and see how you get on. If you are using sites should be fine on mains anyway.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking of going down the portable fridge route but SWMBO vetoed that one.[/QUOTE said:
SWMBO vetoed your master plan:Doh:
You should do as I do and grabbed her by the scruff of the neck
Stared intently into her eyes
And in you deepest most manly voice said
Yes Dear:RollEyes:
Seems to have been a run on fridge fires this year:Doh::Sad:
Geo

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you want to try, one of the largest MH accessories dealers in France are Narbonne Accessories. They have outlets all over France. Try their web site for where they are.

Web site http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are now home. Our intended 2 month French trip only lasted a week :cry: however it could have been a lot worse, the van itself is undamaged so its just a matter of getting the fridge and wiring repaired, then back to France.
It may be a while as workshops are booked up, and may mean we will miss Malvern (a pity as already paid).

If we're still here when the tickets come I will offer them on the site.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Glad all sorted, have a great holiday , keep in touch and let us know how it is going
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

just wondering what the fault was (if not too tech )
John n Kath

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hot fridge!

Awful thing to happen. :whatthe: A good job you caught it before it spread to the rest of the van. :Eeek:

Glad you got it fixed. Back over the ditch now, is it?

Shame you'll miss Malvern - we were looking forward to seeing you both there. We'll raise a couple of glasses to you, anyway.

We got back from our French jaunt first week of July and are now doing some maintenance on the MH before it's service just before Malvern.

John & Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back