LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was just chatting with the Mrs about all my various hospital stays and visits we've had this year. in particular my complex health issues and drug allergies. She said to me, if we were in an accident and taken to hospital unconscious they would maybe end up killing me.

my idea was that I'm going to write up a potted history of my health problems, consultants names and a drug list. i will print off a few copies and keep one in my wallet at all times. that way the hospital and paramedics at the accident site would have the necessary details.

do you think its a good idea or not and would you do the same, as like us you all travel away from home in your vans, especially abroad?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The SOS talisman has been around for a long time so I'm sure hospital staff would look at/notice it. Haggars has worked a lot in A&E I wonder what he thinks of the system.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I carry a card round in my wallet with details of my condition, but I don't always have my wallet with me:Eeek:, mind nowadays I have my wife with me more than my wallet:roflmto: and believe me, she knows all about my ailments:ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I was given a USB wristband last week.

It is only 512Mb, but I thought it might come in handy for the same (or similar) reasons as the OP above. As an experiment, I wore it for a couple of days, and wasn't bothered by it at all.

Regards,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was given a USB wristband last week.

It is only 512Mb, but I thought it might come in handy for the same (or similar) reasons as the OP above. As an experiment, I wore it for a couple of days, and wasn't bothered by it at all.

Regards,

Jock.

What was the offence and which court tagged you Jock? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
The SOS talisman has been around for a long time so I'm sure hospital staff would look at/notice it. Haggars has worked a lot in A&E I wonder what he thinks of the system.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
HAGGERS IN A&E??????? I THOUGHT HE WAS A MENTAL NURSE LOOKING AFTER ALL THE NUTTERS LIKE ME!!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I was just chatting with the Mrs about all my various hospital stays and visits we've had this year. in particular my complex health issues and drug allergies. She said to me, if we were in an accident and taken to hospital unconscious they would maybe end up killing me.

my idea was that I'm going to write up a potted history of my health problems, consultants names and a drug list. i will print off a few copies and keep one in my wallet at all times. that way the hospital and paramedics at the accident site would have the necessary details.

do you think its a good idea or not and would you do the same, as like us you all travel away from home in your vans, especially abroad?

Yes a very good Idea...they have a lot of medical bracelets ...you could put the most important ones on your wrist's....or on your ankles and wrist's

YES a good idea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...ets&_nkw=medical+bracelets&_sacat=0&_from=R40

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Have a look at medic alert, been around longer than SOS, both useful but I found medic alert more noticeable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think if i was rushed to hospital with a serious condition and had a big catalogue of ailments there would only be 3 letters on any card/bracelet etc....

D.N.R.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is a good idea however I would have 2 versions, one that was very concise and easy to read/understand which would be best put in something that is ALWAYS with you, like a bracelet etc just detailing the basics of your major health problems and your current drugs, with a second one which gives more info on your health history, past drugs etc.

If you are in a 'life and death' situation they won't have the time to wade through lots of info but once you are stablised (hopefully!) they'll then be able to read the rest.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thankyou for all the replies and suggestions :thumb:

I had considered the SOS talisman etc, but dont like jewelry etc and they can only have basic info on them. It would be a good idea though to include the essentials and say "check my wallet for full info". Mind you I then have an issue getting a bracelet log enough for my wrist :ROFLMAO: when checking my blood pressure a standard cuff doesnt fit, they tend to use a leg cuff on my arm

As for the DNR opinion, yes considered that too, but want to be around a bit longer for my grandchildren:thumb: Have been like this for years now and still muddling through, despite 2 hospital stays in the last 10 days. cant say we dont get our moneys worth from the good old NHS:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it's a very good idea.

My ex wife bought me an SOS bracelet a few years back,

I opened it recently and it contained a simple message

' Do not resuscitate '

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
May be of interest

Link Removed
Interesting site with some very good ideas for medical alert items - the silicone bracelet are very good especially as you can wear them all the time, even when swimming etc and won't even notice they're there as they will be so lightweight.

If you have a few 'problems' you could even have several of them on one arm!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Interesting site with some very good ideas for medical alert items - the silicone bracelet are very good especially as you can wear them all the time, even when swimming etc and won't even notice they're there as they will be so lightweight.

If you have a few 'problems' you could even have several of them on one arm!!! ::bigsmile:

with all my issues, I would need them up both arms and a leg :ROFLMAO:

was thinking along the lines of a soldier's tattoo of blood type. but would need a full sheet or 2 of A4 sized text. my mrs recons theres room to spare on my bum though:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back