Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Im thinking of fitting 200 watt of semi flexible solar panels to the roof of our Globecar Camp scout when we recieved it in mid March. These panels are a lot lighter than the conventional framed panels.
Has anyone fitted the flexible ones to their vehicles and pleased with them.

John.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have seen some of the flexible ones go very cloudy on the surface, I dont imagine that does much for the photovoltaic properties.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Quite a few reports of them failing in under 2 years. Also the specs that I have seen they loose 50% of their output over 5 years compared to 20% over 20 years for a conventional panel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I fitted a 60w one to our Globecar and it works a treat ... nice and easy to install (except for cleaning off the ruddy excess Sikaflex stuff!) ... I put it behind the front central roof light so it gets a bit of protection from the wind when travelling.

I put a post about it here

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Got a 100w one on the van.
2 yrs now and seems to be working OK without adverse degradation. Touchwood!
Just stuck it straight on with panel mounting tape and toolstations' version of sikaflex. Make sure at least 2 edges are on the top of a raised corrugation. The 1 I have just bridges across the dips but I would not like to put too much downward pressure at those places.
sorry cant remember he brand.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Put two 100w on ours last year , just stuck them down with mastic/adeasive wired them up to a cheapo controller off eBay in about half a day and I'm totally amazed what they put out, just no way we could use all the power last year , havnt been up to inspect them but the van is in a shed with a plastic roof light and they have kept the battery up all winter.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I fitted a Biard 150 watt unit on my van, it failed around the 18 month mark, the supplier sent me another unit foc but it was a pain removing the old one. I fitted it using Toolstation Puraflex adhesive, I'd certainly recommend it and it's a third of the price of Sikaflex. Just need to see how long this panel lasts.
By the way, I stripped down the old panel looking for a fault or short, even dug out the potted junction box but couldn't find any obvious fault.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't have them but a concern I have is that if they need to be replaced for any reason they'd be a Devil of a job to remove. Cleaning the adhesive off the roof would be no mean feat either. On the plus side they are extremely neat and not subject to the green growth that appears underneath conventional panels.

Edit: see above :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hear of too many failures. Bare in mind that the panel has no cooling air getting under like a normal panel.
As a trader at shows I get possibly slightly different information on panels and we're told in no uncertain terms that they don't last and their output drops a lot in hot weather.
For those reasons I'm out!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they'd be a Devil of a job to remove.

My thinking too. In fact I positioned my stiff one in the wrong place, it got a shadow from the TV aerial, moved it with little trouble because is was just short brackets screwed/glued.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I don't have them but a concern I have is that if they need to be replaced for any reason they'd be a Devil of a job to remove. Cleaning the adhesive off the roof would be no mean feat either. On the plus side they are extremely neat and not subject to the green growth that appears underneath conventional panels.

Easier to perhaps stick a new one on top of the old?

Oooooops didn't see Chasers' reply

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/4700/Flatmate™-Long-Flat-Duster

Don't like to hijack a thread but I got one these and it works a treat to get under the panels.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Seeing that the are perfectly flat and not heavy, just stick a new one on top of the old one, simples.

I did consider doing that, would only have needed to remove the terminal box to get a flat surface, but once I'd had a "quick go" to see how easy it would come off, I was committed.
After I'd fitted the replacement, someone posted a link on here to plastic mounting brackets specifically for the flexi panels. :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheese wire or old guitar string should cut through the adhesive so you can remove the panel, will take a bit of time but it could be done. I'd just stick the new one on top of the old one though!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Got an 80 watt one on the MH roof that I bought off eBay 2 years ago now and easily self installed. Much lighter than solid versions. Cheap enough and really thin enough that if it fails I can just put another on top. After 2 years of blistering sun on the Costa Blanca every day (MH lives outside even when we are not using it), it's still working just great. Very impressed.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I needed to move one of my flexible panels to make room for a forth and had no problem! I used a slim oil paint spatula, you gently push it into the adhesive bead then work around like the old fashion tin opener,
10 mins to get the panel off and 20 mins to remove the remaining sikaflex from the roof,
i have had my Panels now five years with no problem, touchwood(y) tempting provident or what!
why do people say they are less efficient in Hot weather!
Hot weather means loads of sun and usually also means you won't be using much solar anyway, the time you need them most is in the cold/wet days of Autumn/Winter and early spring, so temperature of the panel isn't a factor,
one thing i would add is also use a good quality MPPT controller to get the maximum return for your investment,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back