Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
Since 2005
Has anyone had experience of selling a motorhome to a dealer for cash. We are having to sell ours and can't part exchange. I have a feeling we may end up losing a lot of money, would be grateful for any tips or advice

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You will offered a lot less from the dealer. Can you not sell privately? If you advertise at a good price it has a good chance to sell quite quickly.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You will never get top money from a trader cos they got to make a profit on it when they eventually sell it on, don`t forget they will have to valet it and check everything works as it should. Fix whatever is broken or faulty, give a warranty to the purchaser, then park it on the pitch for however long it takes to sell.So if it`s worth say £ 25000 expect to be offered around £17000 or there abouts:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Has anyone had experience of selling a motorhome to a dealer for cash. We are having to sell ours and can't part exchange. I have a feeling we may end up losing a lot of money, would be grateful for any tips or advice

what year and model is it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You will lose a packet, I considered part exchanging mine for a caravan last autumn, the dealer wouldn't give me a price but offered to put the deal through a broker, when I gave the broker the details there was the sharp intake of breath you associated with dodgy car dealers from years ago and he offered £15k less than what I paid on a 2year old vehicle, stick out for a private sale and if you can hold out till the spring it will sell

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'd never sell to a dealer for cash there's always other options. Ill bet whatever he offered you you could get more within 24 hrs on eBay .
He will make money on you and the resale!
Put his offer as your reserve on eBay and let it run ,you will then get more than his offer and more than likely by a good bit.
Some dealers are toe rags and a lot won't even clean your van never mid service it ,although they will tell you otherwise.

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
our first van was typically the wrong van for us.....heart over head purchase :Blush::Doh:

the same dealer took it in part ex 6 months later for another van ...allowing £5000 less than the original price 6 months earlier.
it was then seen on the forecourt for more than we paid originally :Eeek:

easy £6000 profit for doing nowt but buying it back.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

You can always try a contract sale on a dealers forecourt, I charge a fixed fee + VAT plus any rectification needed on sale.

We take the hassle away.

Peter

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for advice, it's a Autotrail cheyenne 632se 2005

I would take up the Johns Cross suggestion. They get regular serious buyers there and are a decent bunch.

Although Peter, the chap who sold us our MH has left now I think but I can't remember his name. No one was checking his emails though which needs to be looked at.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
When you think of other post's regarding faults with a MH and how to approach dealer for repairs erc, and what your standing is via the law etc, they HAVE to put a mark up on it,...have you ever paid sticker price for a MH?, no...so thers one bit gone, then theres the rectification work a punter might want, then theres the warranty...plus, the cost of staff, a large compound and the overheads. I,m all for keeping a healthy stance between punter and dealer, but give them a chance.

By the by, ive offered two dealers who puroprt to buy motorhomes our van, neither have even replied to the email. The ealer we bought off, appears to be struggling to sell,........so dont bank on that route.

Last edited:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks for advice, it's a Autotrail cheyenne 632se 2005

Thats the same as mine but on an 04 plate with low mileage & like new condition. They were averaging at well over the £20k mark when i got mine last spring though i got it from a dealer for a fair bit cheaper than that and i am well pleased with it. But i agree a private sales the way to go to get the best price :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi cheapest same model / year,59,000mls I can find is at £23,495 but it is still for (at a dealers) sale so I would pitch yours at around 21 k for a quick sale on Auto trader and ebay --Stick it as a starting price on ebay aution :winky:and see what happens
terry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dealers biggest problem is cash flow so they need to have a large profit margin. Dealer near me has at least three vehicles on his forecourt that have been there for a year. An Autosleeper priced at £17000 he has offered it to me for £12000, but he probably isnt loosing money at that. Just had money tied up for a very long time. BUSBY.

mytrackerRS

Free Member
Feb 7, 2013
Moulton
Funster No
MH
Tracker RS
Exp
Just sold my Autosleeper on e-bay 30 day classified ad £15 photograph it well and give honest details the buyer got a bargain and we got a lot more than offered as a trade in against our new motorhome on order. If you get an interested buyer get them over to have a good look at it then if the sale go's through go with them to the local branch of their bank and do an immediate money transfer into your bank account before you hand over the keys , it worked for us ,but beware there are a lot of rogues out there . If the buyer is genuine they will agree to you terms .
Practical Motorhome Magazine also do a free ad service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back