Selling a motorhome . Safe way to be paid (1 Viewer)

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
The title pretty much says it. We are selling our "A" class privatively and need to avoid the scams like Paypal being cancelled.
If you have sold please give advice on payment. Thanks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bank to bank transfer. Did mine last week accompanied buyer to his bank transfered to my bank. Checked on phone app money was there in 5 minutes. There is a cost for instant transfer ask your bank. Would NEVER use PayPal for such a transaction!

Eddie

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when we last sold ours it was paid by bank transfer, we could see the money in bank via on line banking

although I was worried as a seller, I would be equally worried as a buyer, giving all your hard earnt to a private bank account then in some cases being told to wait till cleared

we did buy our last one privately although it was kept at a business address so we felt slightly more comfortable and we had some finance for it, so Lombard paid the full amount, I guess they covered their risk somehow.

we really don't hear many sales that go wrong, there must be dozens done daily, but my sale did cause similar concerns to me, that an not letting test pilots drive as they had no insurance

best of luck (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When we sold our last van we asked the buyer to transfer £10 to test the bank deatails were correct - then the main balance the day of collection.
Bank transfers can not be reversed and is the safest payment option for both buyer and seller

Deleted User
Another thumbs up for bank transfer, you can see funds in your account almost instantly.

There is a transaction fee for large amounts, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely bank transfer, on-line in our case - when we sold our blue Smart that's how the buyer's son paid ... although it did take ages as he'd forgotten his little 'code' key thingy and couldn't set us up as a new payee so had to first transfer the money to his brother (at home) and then we had to wait for his brother to send it on to our bank account! Got it in the end though.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When we sold the Autotrail the buyers came to the bank with us and did a transfer there and then ...it helped that we both used the same bank albeit at opposite ends of the country.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
bank transfer, when we bought ours i did the transaction on the phone there and then

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We used paypal on a beauty machine the wife sold. After it was inspected she transferred the money into my account as a gift I think, otherwise they charge. I then moved it into my nationwide account, seemed pretty foolproof to me. The amount was around £4000 i think.

ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used paypal on a beauty machine the wife sold. After it was inspected she transferred the money into my account as a gift I think, otherwise they charge. I then moved it into my nationwide account, seemed pretty foolproof to me. The amount was around £4000 i think.

ian
Paypal is NOT a totally safe way to accept money - regardless of HOW they pay it to you (ie with or without fees) a reclaim can still be made by the sender of the dosh to Paypal - in our experience they'll usually give it back and ask questions later so you have to fight for it ... you MIGHT be lucky enough to get it! I would never accept Paypal for a payment for anything over £100 and NEVER EVER for major stuff like motors etc as there is no protection whatsoever - you need to carefully read the Paypal terms to ensure that what you accept or make payment for is covered.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
On bank transfer, I believe there is a small window where the money can be recalled, did it myself yesterday to HMRC. Paid them then realised that I had already paid them so I recalled the transfer - how much pleasure did that give me :D :D
You'd have to check, but it is only a few days, bank transfer is certainly the safest!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The rule with PayPal is if the item is delivered by courier or post the seller is quite well protected providing the item was signed for - proof of delivery.

If the item is collected by the buyer or delivered by the seller there is very little protection.

So don't use PayPal for vehicles. :)

Unless they are Dinky toys and can be posted. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Took cash for mine last week and payed for the replacement in cash,,,,BUSBY.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Whatever you do please don't exchange bank details or rely upon bank details given to you in an email. It's rife with fraud at the moment. Until we tightened our systems up my firm almost transferred a huge amount of money to a fraudster.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back