Selling a motorhome . Safe way to be paid

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by seabreezesports, Mar 22, 2016.

1. seabreezesports

seabreezesports Funster

The title pretty much says it. We are selling our "A" class privatively and need to avoid the scams like Paypal being cancelled.
    If you have sold please give advice on payment. Thanks

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Bank to bank transfer. Did mine last week accompanied buyer to his bank transfered to my bank. Checked on phone app money was there in 5 minutes. There is a cost for instant transfer ask your bank. Would NEVER use PayPal for such a transaction!

Eddie

• Like Like x 3
  3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

As above - cash can be fake & Paypal is a non starter for this type of transaction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

when we last sold ours it was paid by bank transfer, we could see the money in bank via on line banking

although I was worried as a seller, I would be equally worried as a buyer, giving all your hard earnt to a private bank account then in some cases being told to wait till cleared

we did buy our last one privately although it was kept at a business address so we felt slightly more comfortable and we had some finance for it, so Lombard paid the full amount, I guess they covered their risk somehow.

we really don't hear many sales that go wrong, there must be dozens done daily, but my sale did cause similar concerns to me, that an not letting test pilots drive as they had no insurance

best of luck (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

When we sold our last van we asked the buyer to transfer £10 to test the bank deatails were correct - then the main balance the day of collection.
    Bank transfers can not be reversed and is the safest payment option for both buyer and seller

• Like Like x 2
  6. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Another thumbs up for bank transfer, you can see funds in your account almost instantly.

There is a transaction fee for large amounts, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Definitely bank transfer, on-line in our case - when we sold our blue Smart that's how the buyer's son paid ... although it did take ages as he'd forgotten his little 'code' key thingy and couldn't set us up as a new payee so had to first transfer the money to his brother (at home) and then we had to wait for his brother to send it on to our bank account! Got it in the end though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. seabreezesports

seabreezesports Funster

Thank you for all your replies Bank transfer it is then . Just need the buyer now..

• Like Like x 2
  9. davanne

davanne Funster

When we sold the Autotrail the buyers came to the bank with us and did a transfer there and then ...it helped that we both used the same bank albeit at opposite ends of the country.

10. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

bank transfer, when we bought ours i did the transaction on the phone there and then

11. olley

olley Funster

We used paypal on a beauty machine the wife sold. After it was inspected she transferred the money into my account as a gift I think, otherwise they charge. I then moved it into my nationwide account, seemed pretty foolproof to me. The amount was around £4000 i think.

ian

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Paypal is NOT a totally safe way to accept money - regardless of HOW they pay it to you (ie with or without fees) a reclaim can still be made by the sender of the dosh to Paypal - in our experience they'll usually give it back and ask questions later so you have to fight for it ... you MIGHT be lucky enough to get it! I would never accept Paypal for a payment for anything over £100 and NEVER EVER for major stuff like motors etc as there is no protection whatsoever - you need to carefully read the Paypal terms to ensure that what you accept or make payment for is covered.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

On bank transfer, I believe there is a small window where the money can be recalled, did it myself yesterday to HMRC. Paid them then realised that I had already paid them so I recalled the transfer - how much pleasure did that give me :D :D
    You'd have to check, but it is only a few days, bank transfer is certainly the safest!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Direct bank transfer and ring your bank to confirm funds clear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The rule with PayPal is if the item is delivered by courier or post the seller is quite well protected providing the item was signed for - proof of delivery.

If the item is collected by the buyer or delivered by the seller there is very little protection.

So don't use PayPal for vehicles. :)

Unless they are Dinky toys and can be posted. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. busby

busby Funster

Took cash for mine last week and payed for the replacement in cash,,,,BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Whatever you do please don't exchange bank details or rely upon bank details given to you in an email. It's rife with fraud at the moment. Until we tightened our systems up my firm almost transferred a huge amount of money to a fraudster.

• Informative Informative x 2