Selfie Sticks.. Two Reviews.

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by scotjimland, Jul 18, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Do you have one or think they are just a fad and for posers with iPhones..

Hate the word 'selfie' myself, but get over that and they are actually a really useful accessory.

But like all accessories there are the good, the bad and the ugly..

I have tried two..

The first one is 'ok' blue-tooth shutter release and it does the job.. but it's quite cheap design and the phone holder is a bit plasticy .. I don't think it will last long..

From Mobile Fun Olixar Selfie Smart Pole. £14.99

The second one is in a different league.. Self Picture Monopod and can be used with small cameras, GoPro Hero and Smart phones.. it is a sturdy design,, it is also bluetooth remote from a remote control unit..
    from the Selfie Stick Store Yungten £17.99 .. first class product at a great price.. look for the discount code ..

If size and weight are important, the Olixar is lighter and more compact

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I didn't think it was legal to own one if you're older than 13 :LOL::whistle:

I have to say though that using one with a GoPro is a good idea. That could be worth playing with a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

4. NickNic

How big a camera can you fit on the bigger one?

5. scotjimland

In addition to phone holder it has a regular tripod screw mount.. so in theory, no limit .. in practice.. weight would dictate

The pole also has a female tread on the base on the handle for mounting on a tripod..

6. NickNic

Thanks for that. I think I might have a look when I get back from our trip. I've definitely got GoPro ideas and a decent compact with a cable release attached has got some potential as well.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

On our last trip, looky looky men were selling them, don't know how much they wanted for them.

8. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Thanks Jim, like you I've been holding off getting one, but have now ordered the more robust one you mentioned, ready for our trip to Ireland later this month.

I'll try to remember to use it only when there isn't another real person nearby who I could ask to take the photo for me.

Steve :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

Good choice Steve.. they can do next day delivery if ordered before 4pm .. don't forget the discount code

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Every bloody Chinese tourist has one and tries to take your eyes out with em.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

20% discount at the Selfie Stick Store... code is RC20

apply at checkout

• Like Like x 1
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

I am quite happy taking pictures of my friends without me in them.

I know what I look like!

(Fat, bald and old.)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

At the entrance to Neuschwanstein Castle this spring I spent ages waiting for an asian tourist to get the perfect selfie with one of those bloody things before I could get to the viewpoint where I could take a 3 second non-selfie. I wouldn't mind so much but she also wasted ages getting her mate to take a photo of her, and her mate was using a camera on (guess what) a selfie stick.

I call them sad bastard sticks, for people who want to pretend they travelled abroad with a friend.

Obviously what people do with GoPros etc is up to them because they're usually on their own when they're doing it, but waving the bloody things round in tourist hotspots is a complete menace.

14. NickNic

:Eeek:

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I might get one, but I need to overcome their major drawback first. The problem is it will be my ugly mug in the picture and that is a look which I wouldn't wish on anyone. Though I guess you don't have to point the camera at your face. The back of my head is better looking than the front but I would need to wear a hat to cover the bald spot!

• Like Like x 1
  16. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

To be fair, running around a tourist hotspot with an AK47 is a complete menace, what you describe is more of a mild inconvenience. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  17. scotjimland

have no fear.. I don't plan on being in or near any of the 'tourist hotspots' , with or without my selfie stick. .. :rolleyes:

my thread was started as a review.. not for people to slag me off ..

you don't want , need or like.. fair enough ..

18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Nothing personal intended sir, and my sincere apologies if it looked like anything other than exaggerated jest. In answer to your original question, yes I think they are just a fad and for posers with iPhones.

As a lifelong photographer I have a fundamental dislike for how they encourage people to point their cameras in the least important and least imaginative direction. I think photographers should have more ambition and treat the medium with more respect, but in the end it's each to their own.

19. scotjimland

also a lifetime photographer.. to me they are just an accessory.. much the same as a tripod is, basically a monopod, which it can also be uses as, with a swivel head, shutter released with a bluetooth remote or if a compact camera, self timer. ..

there are some amazing photos using them .. impossible without .. so while some may have them as the next 'fad' .. others will explore the possibilities and use them to the full potential ..

phone cameras are now able to give excellent results.. we have them in our pocket .. always with us.. a heavy SLR or even a compact camera is often left at home.. they can also be used forward facing to get a shot over the heads of a crowd of people..

I predict that they will become more popular over the next year or so, by pro and amateur , youngsters and oldies like us..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The only 'problem' I see is that (I assume) you're using the front camera on the phone. Which is usually the rather poor one.