Self-locking door (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Does anyone else with a Swift motorhome have a problem with the habitation door locking itself when you close it from the outside? I am currently on a site in Peterborough and this morning went to go to the loo, shut the door behind me, realised I didn't have my key to lock the door and discovered to my horror that the door was locked and my key was inside the van. I was not amused. Neither was I amused the other day when I was driving along in heavy rain for the first time (my motorhome is a new one) and discovered that water was coming in off the road through the habitation door. In fact, when I lie in bed and look at the door, I can see a big gap letting in daylight. I thought it was rather ironic that the door would let water in but not its owner!

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Hi, Peter. I will of course take your very sound advice, though I have to say that I am not filled with optimism. I took my van into them in May for them to sort out a couple of post-delivery snags and am still waiting for them to tell me they have got the necessary parts back from Swift. For example, since taking delivery at the end of March I have been without a functioning light in the washroom. In your experience are Swift normally so tardy or are my dealers playing silly beggars? I won't name and shame (yet) - for fear of reprisals, if nothing else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Yes, I have a 630G and my door sometimes lock itself, but if that was the only problem I would be a happy man.

Doug...

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Can't help you with the self locking but we see the gap at the bottom of the door if it isn't closed FIRMLY.

Rgds
Bill

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, Peter. I will of course take your very sound advice, though I have to say that I am not filled with optimism. I took my van into them in May for them to sort out a couple of post-delivery snags and am still waiting for them to tell me they have got the necessary parts back from Swift. For example, since taking delivery at the end of March I have been without a functioning light in the washroom. In your experience are Swift normally so tardy or are my dealers playing silly beggars? I won't name and shame (yet) - for fear of reprisals, if nothing else.

Functioning light in washoom cannot be rocket science to sort, Swift are normally OK for parts, if it was us, we would either have fixed it or robbed another van for the parts.

Peter

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Squeezy,

It does sound like your door needs adjustment, as clearly no light should be allowed through. While your dealer is looking at that, they can probably look at the looking issue.

There is no way a light should take that long to be replaced, and all lights used in the 2009 (I’m assuming you purchased it new in March 2009?) are still current stock, so there are no supply problem I am aware of.

If you want to drop me a PM with your VIN & dealer name, I can look into for you.

Thanks,

Ash

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
we have a sundance 630g, we havnt encountered door locking but we have had water coming in through habitation door, dealers replaced seal twice, We waited weeks for the first seal which was fitted, turned out to be the wrong seal and left gaps when door was shut. problem was we then had to wait for new seal to come and swift was on shutdown for holidays. We were used to this though as we have had a number of probs and had to wait for parts before.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The door on our Adria also has the habit of occasionally locking us out. Up to now we have been lucky & either one of us has still been inside or we've had the keys. The problem with it is the problem is entirely random, try as we might we can't make it do it & it can happen a few times in a day or not for weeks. :Angry:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
self locking door

my friend has a autosleeper nuevo and has had the door self lock several times no pattern to it, might be ok for weeks and then happen several times in quick succession another friend has a swift not sure which model and it has happened to him twice if it is any comfort your not alone with this problem so my advice is to tape a spare key hidden away underneath on the chassis

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies and in particular thanks to Ash from Swift. Great service. I have sent you a pm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back