LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am a mechanical engineer, I can confirm that there is no reason why the wheels shouldn't be lifted off the ground other that it will make them vulnerable to be stolen ! No chocks are required so long as you leave your handbrake on to prevent the vehicle running away when it is lowered down onto the ground. My system can lift the front wheels hanging 25 cm off the floor, very handy on sloping sites, (see my avatar).

Hi Peatmoor

Thanks for your opinion, I could not see any argument why not but had not thought about coming back home to no wheels on the front:mad:. I do take the precaution of letting the air out of the rear air bags if the rear wheels are going to go right up as I felt that it might put unnecessary load on the shocks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Useful thread, thanks OP, I am considering having a hydraulic jack system fitted

Having just been up to the top of Scotland in howling gales, are there any wind speed limits where these jacks should not be used, is there any danger of the jacks being damaged in high winds, particularly if quite well extended maybe

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Useful thread, thanks OP, I am considering having a hydraulic jack system fitted

Having just been up to the top of Scotland in howling gales, are there any wind speed limits where these jacks should not be used, is there any danger of the jacks being damaged in high winds, particularly if quite well extended maybe
If the legs are of the correct capacity and they are mounted correctly they should withstand a gale ! but beware, there are some cowboy installers about, I have first hand experience of this which at present I am unable to discuss because of ongoing legal proceedings against the installer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Hi David

Good question, not been up on ours in a howling gale but the Jack distance from the van centre line is less than the wheel distance so ultimate stability must be better on the wheels, that said you are very rarely right up on he jacks without the wheels helping as well so I don't think it is going to blow over. The other thing if it really blowy is that if a jack is unloaded it might come back down with a bump that could be a bit disconcerting.

In conclusion, stop worrying and spend your kids inheritance.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have the E&P system fitted to my Commanche, brilliant bit of kit and very stable even in a good blow. I wouldn't be without them now. Not cheap, but if you can afford it then go for it. There's no pockets in a shroud.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Apologies OP for slight hijack, but hopefully you are still gaining from the answers

I am reading about E&P systems, the site I found covers air suspension and hydraulic jacks, is there a good argument for having both fitted?

Any recommended installers? we are in North Derbyshire / Sheffield area

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've got E & P leveling jack system in our new (to us) Hymer. Once we work out how to use them, I'm sure we will be very happy...kids don't call me "user error" for nothing.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have the E&P hydraulic legs fitted been in some howling gales and the van never moves woke up in the morning with peoples awnings ripped to pieces but we have never felt a thing also it has the tank emptying function where it tilts the motorhome on its side to empty the waste tank fully saves a lot of bad smells occurring when its warm. I am sure some one will be along soon saying how many levelling chocks you can buy etc. :)

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Apologies OP for slight hijack, but hopefully you are still gaining from the answers

I am reading about E&P systems, the site I found covers air suspension and hydraulic jacks, is there a good argument for having both fitted?

The air suspension coupled with hydraulic jacks was demonstrated to me when we were looking for self levelling, and apart from the obvious advantages of ride quality etc.. I personnally did not see much advantage from a levelling aspect. I may have missed something in the demo but I don't think so. Happy to be corrected from those that have both.........Derek

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Hi David

Not that many authorised installers for E&P, we used Mick at SAP Doncaster

Broken Link Removed

We already had the air suspension on the rear but I see the jacks as something completely different, think about air suspension if you are not happy with the ride or load capacity.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Second that funflair Mick fitted ours a few month back would not be without now I would recommend the remote control worth the extra

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

Not that many authorised installers for E&P, we used Mick at SAP Doncaster

Broken Link Removed

We already had the air suspension on the rear but I see the jacks as something completely different, think about air suspension if you are not happy with the ride or load capacity.

Second that funflair Mick fitted ours a few month back would not be without now I would recommend the remote control worth the extra

Thanks both, will have a chat with them, we have a really bad roll on ours when cornering roundabouts mainly, and on rough ground it really rocks badly from side to side, so will look at both, the ride is really most important, the levelling jacks are a bit of idleness but also to stop the rocking when we walk from end to end, My financial logic says if I am spending £5K I might just as well spend £8K, at least it commits me to not changing our MH which would be massively more expense :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks both, will have a chat with them, we have a really bad roll on ours when cornering roundabouts mainly, and on rough ground it really rocks badly from side to side, so will look at both, the ride is really most important, the levelling jacks are a bit of idleness but also to stop the rocking when we walk from end to end, My financial logic says if I am spending £5K I might just as well spend £8K, at least it commits me to not changing our MH which would be massively more expense :D

I like your style @DavidG58

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you had the shock absorbers checked? If they are shot air suspension won't help, might even be worse.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you had the shock absorbers checked? If they are shot air suspension won't help, might even be worse.

Not specifically checked but it has been like it since we bought it at 3K miles, now 16K and still the same, also had 2 MOT's and services without comment, but that may not have picked it up

We already have a cheap manual air suspension option on rear only, have tried that at differing pressures with no obvious change

How would I check shock absorbers? it is being MOT'd on Thursday, don't really want to risk a fail but would they tell by looking?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David, if your shockers are shot you would notice it bouncing like a pogo stick rather than just a bit of rock n roll, I think Merc's are a bit soft on the suspension but a nice ride because of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back