Jan 25, 2015
Sawtry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just bought one
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting self levelling jacks fitted but I don't know a lot about them, the pros I think are generally obvious the cons I don't know. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

OP
OP
Bossgad

Bossgad

Free Member
Jan 25, 2015
Sawtry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just bought one
Oh good, we had the updated chassis when we bought it (5t), agree with you wish I
I had it done when I ordered it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our MoHo has air suspension on the back which is a great driving aid and I let them down for the weekend to level us up then blew them up to drive off.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the cons are if wild parking you shouldnt use leveling devices as that makes it camping .
but if you dont do wild then should be ok.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Bossgad

Bossgad

Free Member
Jan 25, 2015
Sawtry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just bought one
So with air suspension you use it self level? Is this after option then do you think badknee?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So with air suspension you use it self level? Is this after option then do you think badknee?
There are two main sorts of air suspension, some are just essentially very tough rubber bags which are pressurized to give additional springing with a lot more give in them than the rubber "bump stops" many MHs have - which look like bump stops but technically aren't. If you have a Ducato based MH look underneath and you will see these at the rear immediately above the axle, fitted between the top of the leaf spring and the bodywork.

The other sort of air suspension is very similar but all the little bags are piped to an on-board compressor which can be used when you stop to level the MH. These latter cost something like £1.5K to £2K on the prices I have seen. The former are significantly cheaper. Do a search here on the forum and you will find several posts about air suspension.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well we were nose down on a site so I let the air out that dropped it enough to level us up. A lot easier than getting the levelling block out. The air is a much nicer ride than bog standard cart springs and shockers too as I found out by driving some distance without the air. Wot fick moi?? :LOL:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I fitted my own air suspension kit to the rear of MoHo and use it as described by Badknee. If on un-level ground I let out, or pump up the side in question whilst the Wife yells from inside as she watches the level. I have to say for the Dunlop system which cost me just shy of £500 all in, it is a godsend. The additional benefits are not just the height levelling but the control on the road - it's like night and day, little buffeting by coaches and roundabouts are a doddle, ramps no probs, just send the back up. (y) I have to say that for the couple of hours (and I mean two) it took to fit the system its more than worth it's initial outlay. Another bonus is if you sell yours you can just swap it onto the new one (provided it the same chassis spec).
Wouldn't be without ours - did a thread on it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
They are a good option but If you use this option to self level the MoHo will still rock as you move around. Levelling jacks will level and steady all in one.
Sometimes with jacks you may still need blocks as if the lift required it high it may lift the wheels off the floor and this by general consensus is not advised. So if very uneven, blocks to get close t level and jacks to level

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I believe the question was re after market self levelling when on site, by means of hydraulic jack system. Electronic operation, around the 5k figure, one jack fitted to each corner.

OP
OP
Bossgad

Bossgad

Free Member
Jan 25, 2015
Sawtry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just bought one
I believe the question was re after market self levelling when on site, by means of hydraulic jack system. Electronic operation, around the 5k figure, one jack fitted to each corner.
Wow I didn't realise it was that much, maybe air suspension is the way to go

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Air suspension will not lift or lower the van sufficiently if on sloping ground. My van has air suspension but I have invested in a Hydraulic levelling system which I would not want to be without. It enables me to pitch on areas of aires / sites which are not level enough for others to use. If you decide on the Hydraulic route be careful who you have to fit the system. I have had an experience with the installer who fitted my system which is now before the County Court.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Air suspension will not lift or lower the van sufficiently if on sloping ground. My van has air suspension but I have invested in a Hydraulic levelling system which I would not want to be without. It enables me to pitch on areas of aires / sites which are not level enough for others to use. If you decide on the Hydraulic route be careful who you have to fit the system. I have had an experience with the installer who fitted my system which is now before the County Court.
Quite right but I use mine to level on a slight slope but with my payload of 600kg a lot of it would be taken up by a hydraulic system.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We were at the seafront Aire at Dieppe recently and parked next to a Pilote A class which had hydraulic levelers, I was amazed to see the front wheels off the ground by a good six inches. Must have been a good pump to lift all that weight

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We were at the seafront Aire at Dieppe recently and parked next to a Pilote A class which had hydraulic levelers, I was amazed to see the front wheels off the ground by a good six inches. Must have been a good pump to lift all that weight

We have the E&P hydraulic system on our Flair and can lift all 4 wheels off the floor no problem. The jacks are rated at about 6 tons each.

Yes the system is about £5k but I would have it again just for the ease of levelling and the stability you get, also can jack the wheels off the floor any time you need too, handy for laying planks under in a muddy field.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp

A hydraulic pump will have no problem lifting that weight and more, what may be a problem is the weight of the wheels hanging on the suspension and steering.

Wheels should never leave the ground, with this much to level they should have used chocks first to get them close.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A hydraulic pump will have no problem lifting that weight and more, what may be a problem is the weight of the wheels hanging on the suspension and steering.

Wheels should never leave the ground, with this much to level they should have used chocks first to get them close.

I had read that you should not hang the wheels in the air so try to avoid it, but I asked our service guy and he said there was no reason not to. I am interested in anybody else's opinion though.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had read that you should not hang the wheels in the air so try to avoid it, but I asked our service guy and he said there was no reason not to. I am interested in anybody else's opinion though.
Two post ramps lift the chassis so that work can be done on the suspension that's hanging free, massive Cranes lift all there wheels off the ground when lifting. I know of no problems with a full lift.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Our Motorhome is on a Man chassis and has air suspension at the rear which is good for raising & lowering the back when boarding ferries etc & is adequate for levelling on aires etc but when on site the E&P hydraulic levelling really comes into its own. I would thoroughly recommend it if you have the payload.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Visit your local ATS or similar where they change tyres and you will see numerous vehicles in the air with their "legs" dangling.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have the glide right hydraulic jacks one on each corner. The previous owner had them fitted at £3500 you can raise front or back or side to side. They are good enough to lift the Burster off the ground and its a tag axle. When I had two new tyres fitted last year I drove in pressed the button and lifted the front off the ground so they could
change the tyres. The tyre fitter said he wished every one could do that. LOL they make a great difference when parked up as you don't get the wobble. (y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If, like our m/h, you have an Alko chassis with the rear axle that requires regular greasing .. it is supposed to be done with the wheels off the ground and the suspension hanging free.
Wheels should never leave the ground, with this much to level they should have used chocks first to get them close
If, like our m/h, you have an Alko chassis with the rear axle that requires regular greasing .. it is supposed to be done with the wheels off the ground and the suspension hanging free.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I don't see why you cannot let the wheels hang down, after all they do if you jack it up to change a wheel or to work on the front. Gliderite do hydraulic levelling for £3500.
Ezee

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
I don't see why you cannot let the wheels hang down, after all they do if you jack it up to change a wheel or to work on the front. Gliderite do hydraulic levelling for £3500.
Ezee

Yep but only for a short period of time, not for weeks on end, bit like an oil change not damaging for a short period of time but you would not leave it out for weeks.

Not my rules, recommendations from the manufacture and I know of at least one owner who had a large repair bill from damage to their rear suspension that the garage put down to the weight of wheels hanging.

It each to their personal choice but I'm following the manufactures instructions and keeping mine firmly down

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had it on 3 RVs absolutely brilliant bit of kit wish it was on my current van not that I'd pay £5k for a retro fit.Used it to lift wheels up and change tyres brake pads etc etc. never a problem.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Yep but only for a short period of time, not for weeks on end, bit like an oil change not damaging for a short period of time but you would not leave it out for weeks.

I think most owners would only be doing it for short periods of time and then only on rare occasions. If the motorhome was in storage there wouldn't really be a necessity to level it.
ezee

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
I am a mechanical engineer, I can confirm that there is no reason why the wheels shouldn't be lifted off the ground other that it will make them vulnerable to be stolen ! No chocks are required so long as you leave your handbrake on to prevent the vehicle running away when it is lowered down onto the ground. My system can lift the front wheels hanging 25 cm off the floor, very handy on sloping sites, (see my avatar).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back