Self levelling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bossgad, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Bossgad

Bossgad

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting self levelling jacks fitted but I don't know a lot about them, the pros I think are generally obvious the cons I don't know. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

So long as the extra weight will not be a problem I don't think any cons.... wish we had it done when we bought our m/h.

3. Bossgad

Bossgad

Oh good, we had the updated chassis when we bought it (5t), agree with you wish I
    I had it done when I ordered it.

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Our MoHo has air suspension on the back which is a great driving aid and I let them down for the weekend to level us up then blew them up to drive off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the cons are if wild parking you shouldnt use leveling devices as that makes it camping .
    but if you dont do wild then should be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bossgad

Bossgad

So with air suspension you use it self level? Is this after option then do you think badknee?

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There are two main sorts of air suspension, some are just essentially very tough rubber bags which are pressurized to give additional springing with a lot more give in them than the rubber "bump stops" many MHs have - which look like bump stops but technically aren't. If you have a Ducato based MH look underneath and you will see these at the rear immediately above the axle, fitted between the top of the leaf spring and the bodywork.

The other sort of air suspension is very similar but all the little bags are piped to an on-board compressor which can be used when you stop to level the MH. These latter cost something like £1.5K to £2K on the prices I have seen. The former are significantly cheaper. Do a search here on the forum and you will find several posts about air suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Well we were nose down on a site so I let the air out that dropped it enough to level us up. A lot easier than getting the levelling block out. The air is a much nicer ride than bog standard cart springs and shockers too as I found out by driving some distance without the air. Wot fick moi?? :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

I fitted my own air suspension kit to the rear of MoHo and use it as described by Badknee. If on un-level ground I let out, or pump up the side in question whilst the Wife yells from inside as she watches the level. I have to say for the Dunlop system which cost me just shy of £500 all in, it is a godsend. The additional benefits are not just the height levelling but the control on the road - it's like night and day, little buffeting by coaches and roundabouts are a doddle, ramps no probs, just send the back up. (y) I have to say that for the couple of hours (and I mean two) it took to fit the system its more than worth it's initial outlay. Another bonus is if you sell yours you can just swap it onto the new one (provided it the same chassis spec).
    Wouldn't be without ours - did a thread on it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

They are a good option but If you use this option to self level the MoHo will still rock as you move around. Levelling jacks will level and steady all in one.
    Sometimes with jacks you may still need blocks as if the lift required it high it may lift the wheels off the floor and this by general consensus is not advised. So if very uneven, blocks to get close t level and jacks to level

• Like Like x 1
  11. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

I believe the question was re after market self levelling when on site, by means of hydraulic jack system. Electronic operation, around the 5k figure, one jack fitted to each corner.

12. Bossgad

Bossgad

Wow I didn't realise it was that much, maybe air suspension is the way to go

13. trekkin

14. Peatmoor

Peatmoor Read Only Funster

Air suspension will not lift or lower the van sufficiently if on sloping ground. My van has air suspension but I have invested in a Hydraulic levelling system which I would not want to be without. It enables me to pitch on areas of aires / sites which are not level enough for others to use. If you decide on the Hydraulic route be careful who you have to fit the system. I have had an experience with the installer who fitted my system which is now before the County Court.

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Quite right but I use mine to level on a slight slope but with my payload of 600kg a lot of it would be taken up by a hydraulic system.

16. Peatmoor

Peatmoor Read Only Funster

I see your problem, 600 Kg is not enough for a hydraulic system.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FJmike

FJmike Funster

We were at the seafront Aire at Dieppe recently and parked next to a Pilote A class which had hydraulic levelers, I was amazed to see the front wheels off the ground by a good six inches. Must have been a good pump to lift all that weight

18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have the E&P hydraulic system on our Flair and can lift all 4 wheels off the floor no problem. The jacks are rated at about 6 tons each.

Yes the system is about £5k but I would have it again just for the ease of levelling and the stability you get, also can jack the wheels off the floor any time you need too, handy for laying planks under in a muddy field.

• Like Like x 1
  19. trekkin

A hydraulic pump will have no problem lifting that weight and more, what may be a problem is the weight of the wheels hanging on the suspension and steering.

Wheels should never leave the ground, with this much to level they should have used chocks first to get them close.

20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I had read that you should not hang the wheels in the air so try to avoid it, but I asked our service guy and he said there was no reason not to. I am interested in anybody else's opinion though.

• Like Like x 1