Self Help Motorhome Tours (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We are at the "go it alone" end of the pool.. But, as a lot of people who come to this way of life do so at a more "mature" stage in their life, I can understand the hesitancy when considering a trip abroad for the first time.. So for them, a group trip seems a good idea..
Each to their needs I guess.. As long as we all enjoy it.. Great !!!
(y)(y)(y)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I don’t know if it’s an age thing but not that many years ago i would go anywhere with no worries but then for some reason the thought of going by myself got me worrying about all sorts of things, you name it, i worried about it. I knew that if i didn’t get my head sorted i would just get worse. So i asked on this very forum and got the help or whatever you want to call it from red dragon (steve) he was going to Spain etc. on his own and i went along with him. After the first day i lost all my worries and got on with enjoying myself. since then going anywhere is good thou going with someone might sometimes be better. But that’s another story.Sometimes just having compainion can help so much, thank you steve.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No to convoys.
But another positive from tagging along with someone, at least initially, might be their experience & knowledge of a particular area - be it an interest in the history, geography, architecture, food & drink.
I'm not a great fan of 'organised' tours but on the other-hand, I don't like looking at something wondering whether or not this something is what I supposed to be looking at :confused:!
So I sometimes submit to guides :cool:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Oh, we hate convoys! - cars, motorbikes or motorhomes. OTOH it is nice to have a bit of company in the evening or when you get wherever so it's nice if you are travelling with fairly independent souls where you can decide together where the next overnight will be, but not actually follow one another or do the same things unless you happen to want to.

Not too keen on convoys either, but it made for an "interesting" sight going up the hill out of Dover towards the M20 with a dozen French motorhome behind me. First time in the UK for all of them and the oldest driver was 85. We had fun later in the week when after splitting in to groups of four we turned left at a roundabout heading towards the M2 and saw, in the mirrors, the next group going over the motorway. What laughs we had during the aperos. They went wrong despite giving each driver GPS co-ords and a daily written instruction sheet of what to do at each junction, etc.

Now have to do it all again this year (to Dorset), but will split the group down into threes, wherever possible.

J

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I have always felt confident enough to tackle anywhere in Europe including eastern areas I have not been to yet. Further afield though I am not sure. There are several German organisations that take groups to all parts including USA, South America and the one on my bucket list Russia and China. One does Trans Siberian highway out and Vietnam and India on the way back. Problem for me on a long trip like that would be the hectic nature of it all and the total lack of doing your own thing. When we went to Morocco It was great to cross with others and keep in touch with others out there by way of Fun even when we travelled alone.
Flexibility and sedate are good words.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Some years ago we were off to Spain and asked (on the dark side) if there was anyone inexperienced/apprehensive wanting to tag along. Two replied, one later chicked out and the second ended up saying they would go it alone, even though they ended up in the same campsite in Denia as us.
Whilst we don't like doing 'convoys', we do like to help 'Eurovirgins' get to know how fabulous and easy it is travelling in France, Spain, Germany etc. Sometimes they just need to have their hands held that first time. Soon the are the 'experts' telling everyone else where to stay for free, where to get cheapest fuel, good restaurants, etc :cool:
Oh, by the way, great idea, Jim(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back