Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
After taking the best advice last March, (*FUNSTERS*), I bought a new Heki rooflight for our old Hymer. The original 'pop up' model was getting really old, very discoloured, and frankly, brittle.
All went according to plan, and the Heki became part and parcel of the truck, (following a nervous period checking for leaks). No problems at all until November, when I noticed a .....'dreaded drip'. Didn't amount to much, but with the winter in full swing, I dropped the truck off for repair with Stewart Morley of Pilling, Lancashire.
He repaired, and reported thus:- My fitting had been fine, roof prepared properly, and the correct sealant used, Sykaflex 512. However, Stewart found that the Sykaflex had not taken to the roof light, because, (it seems), I had neglected to clean off the brand new unit with meths. When these plastic units are manufactured, they are sprayed with a silicon release agent, so they don't stick to the mould. This had stopped my sealant from adhering to the Heki, and completing a good bond, resulting in eventual water 'creep' over the plastic lip. A big job for a small oversight. :(:(

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hope it didn't cost too much Tootles but at least you have passed it on for others. If it had been a tank it probably wouldn't have mattered so much

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
thanks toots for heads-up, will def clean any new units beforehand now, now a dedicated meths user(y)

Vin

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
oops. ..... hope it was not too expensive to sort(y)
Well, he repaired it, and also fitted a new unit I had already bought for the loo, secured some of the insulation roof panels that had 'moved' slightly by becoming unstuck from the roof. £140 total, which I thought was very fair. Because I wasnt in 'a rush', he took his time over six weeks, kept the truck inside the workshop whilst I was in hospital, which was a great weight off our minds. Cant fault his attitude, nor his work. (y)(y)

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, thanks Toots. You would think something new would be fine really and now we are all forewarned and forearmed.
What a knob, I told him to clean that shite off first but would he listen would he hell, winge winge moan moan. :LOL:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Its the same with PVC window replacements! they need cleaning where the sealer joint and existing wall/frame need sealing :(

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its the same with PVC window replacements! they need cleaning where the sealer joint and existing wall/frame need sealing :(
As Knee says, you don't realise that something brand new needs treating first. My error, the fitting instructions might have said something, but being totally in German, easy to miss a meaningful phrase or instruction.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As Knee says, you don't realise that something brand new needs treating first. My error, the fitting instructions might have said something, but being totally in German, easy to miss a meaningful phrase or instruction.

com on now Toots ... your a man! when all else fails! you read the instructions... were all the same!:whistle:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies

Not necessarily, Iv' even seen some replacement frames fitted with the plastic protection still on!! they trimmed around the frame and sealed to the plastic :eek:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
com on now Toots ... your a man! when all else fails! you read the instructions... were all the same!:whistle:
Your right. I read the instructions on my marriage licence, but missed the small print which referred to me being totally subservient for as long as we both shall live......:cry::cry:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I am intenting on fitting 2 later this year & all the how toos Ive read on fitting these not one has mentioned using meths to clean the Hiki
Good job I have some (y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am intenting on fitting 2 later this year & all the how toos Ive read on fitting these not one has mentioned using meths to clean the Hiki
Good job I have some (y)

there is a great article with pics somewhere on google used it for aour last van before i changes 2 mini Heki's .

there is a roll of sealing material in tape form that makes it really easy to seal and same as the professionals use, towsure used to sell it... oops still do.. Broken Link Removed

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
This is a job on my list so Thanks for sharing ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
roof prepared properly, and the correct sealant used, Sykaflex 512.

Can I ask why you chose Sikaflex 512 rather than a traditional sealing mastic such asBroken Link Removed which is a non-setting bedding mastic ?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Useful to know, thanks.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Toots,
With regard to your Marriage Licence.
You said,"but missed the small print which referred to me being totally subservient for as long as we both shall live......:cry::cry:"

You must have the Old licence.

Mine says the same but it's in size 24 font.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Nice Write up Toots;
I shan't say who but there was a funster that laughed sincerely for about 10 mins when I said I was taking mine to the original manufacturer to have them fitted. So it seems
my bad decision is vindicated. No leaks Great Light
3 Fitted. Cost reasonable.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can I ask why you chose Sikaflex 512 rather than a traditional sealing mastic such asBroken Link Removed which is a non-setting bedding mastic ?
Because everyone who posted to my query on *FUN* recommended it at the time, Jim. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Because everyone who posted to my query on *FUN* recommended it at the time, Jim. :)

ok.. but it wouldn't have been my advice.. must have missed that thread..

Sikaflex is primarily an adhesive and yes, sticks like shit to a blanket.. great for many jobs, but roof lights and windows are generally sealed with a non-setting mastic, either in tube like Carafax IDL or on a strip for ease of application and convenience

Non-setting mastic allows the roof and window to flex , and also contract and expand at different amounts without breaking the seal..
it's also easy to remove the window should the need arise...

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ok.. but it wouldn't have been my advice.. must have missed that thread..

Sikaflex is primarily an adhesive and yes, sticks like shit to a blanket.. great for many jobs, but roof lights and windows are generally sealed with a non-setting mastic, either in tube like Carafax IDL or on a strip for ease of application and convenience

Non-setting mastic allows the roof and window to flex , and also contract and expand at different amounts without breaking the seal..
it's also easy to remove the window should the need arise...
Right mate. Bet that kicks off a fair old debate........:):) Don't know what he used for the repair, or the second unit he fitted, but I shall ask. He was employed as a body fitter by a regional ambulance group, so he should no his onions....

AND no 'body in ambulance' cracks you lot....I already thought of it. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't know what he used for the repair, or the second unit he fitted, but I shall ask. He was employed as a body fitter by a regional ambulance group, so he should no his onions....

should be interesting.. always willing to learn.. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back