Self Drive Electric Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Now that autonomous "self" drive vans are only a few years away, does this mean we can look forward to self drive motorhomes?

The possibilities are endless :)
Screenshot_2016-11-04-13-35-11e.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Has anybody told the politicians about this ? Since the UK is only producing about 8% 'green energy' for the grid, what exactly is the point ??? The national grid BTW is again on a winter knife edge of supply due to the crappy renewable energy not working. Electric vehicles could push it into the red again and the emergency shutdown procedures initiated.
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A former colleague of mine is working on this project , as a spin off of the Robot Racing challenge.

Not a fan TBH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Has anybody told the politicians about this ? Since the UK is only producing about 8% 'green energy' for the grid, what exactly is the point ??? The national grid BTW is again on a winter knife edge of supply due to the crappy renewable energy not working. Electric vehicles could push it into the red again and the emergency shutdown procedures initiated.
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

I blame the NIMBY's for keeping GB energy generation in the dark ages.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We should be using coal to produce electricity. (y) We are sat on billions of tons of the stuff, and pay France to give us electricity. China burns coal, and look at their energy bills. Almost zero.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We should be using coal to produce electricity. (y) We are sat on billions of tons of the stuff, and pay France to give us electricity. China burns coal, and look at their energy bills. Almost zero.
France has plenty to sell to the rest of Europe as it runs on reliable hydro & nukes. http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/France/

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I think people living close to major roads will appreciate the fall in noise pollution and I fancy keying in the coordinates of my favourite campsite before turning out the light and going to sleep :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

That's an interesting thought Dave
Whenever we're in France I'm amazed how many wind turbines and solar farms there are - must be paying dividends if they can sell all their spare elec to needy third world countries like ours.

Likewise when I visited China I was blown away by how many hydro electric plants they had.

In both countries I'm guessing that power generation comes before the interests of local pressure groups

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That's an interesting thought Dave
Whenever we're in France I'm amazed how many wind turbines and solar farms there are - must be paying dividends if they can sell all their spare elec to needy third world countries like ours.

Likewise when I visited China I was blown away by how many hydro electric plants they had.

In both countries I'm guessing that power generation comes before the interests of local pressure groups
France is currently getting 5% from windtubines and obviously nothing from solar....let's deal in facts http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Maybe you mean lack of renewable energy ?
Windtubines are currently producing about 8% of the UK's energy.....and that's on a good day, during the summer it was often less than 1%. Politicians and snowflakes could plant a turbine on every square meter of the UK and it would be the same ....
That 1% does not take into account the amount the turbines use for maintainence and lubrication, in Australia recently their wind turbines went on a runaway electricity consumption after an outage.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Windtubines are currently producing about 8% of the UK's energy.....and that's on a good day, during the summer it was often less than 1%. Politicians and snowflakes could plant a turbine on every square meter of the UK and it would be the same ....
That 1% does not take into account the amount the turbines use for maintainence and lubrication, in Australia recently their wind turbines went on a runaway electricity consumption after an outage.

Wikipedia says otherwise but I'm happy to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just travel through Germany and observe the acres of solar panels. Their wind turbines are equally plentiful and much taller than those over hear. How come?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Wikipedia says otherwise but I'm happy to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject
The site I posted is real time electricity supply and historical figures.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Check out the figures on the site I posted, wind power often drops below 1% of demand and is never able to supply more than 12%, of demand. Despite all the claimed capacity it never materialises.
How about you check what it says on Wikipedia?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just travel through Germany and observe the acres of solar panels. Their wind turbines are equally plentiful and much taller than those over hear. How come?
The Germans make windtubines and are ruthless in their deployment. Mainly because their country is run by an idiot who has also bought in millions of migrants. The Germans are busily building 22 coal fired power stations to keep their grid running whilst selling wind turbines to more idiots

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
How about you check what it says on Wikipedia?
Wikipedia is not giving real time electricity generation figures nor years of real time generation historical data, I live in the real world not the wiki one.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Like I said you're the expert.
As it happens yes, I opposed a large one, and I don't mean just writing a two line objection either. I mean years of consultations and involvement in politics and report compilation and writing. We won because the wind companies bullshit fell apart in the face of our detailed data.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As it happens yes, I opposed a large one, and I don't mean just writing a two line objection either. I mean years of consultations and, politics and report compilation and writing. We won because the wind companies bullshit fell apart in the face of our detailed data.
Ah ....
So you're a NIMBY then ?

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think 10% from wind is good going. We have some large offshore wind farms coming online over the next few years plus tidal power and developments in P.V. cells.

There is also a subsea cable planned from Norway coming in at Blyth that will supply electricity generated by hydro power from Norway.

There is a definite future in renewable energy as part of a mix. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Ah ....
So you're a NIMBY then ?
100% and if someone wanted to plant windtubines right behind your property I assume you would be welcoming them ???

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I think 10% from wind is good going. We have some large offshore wind farms coming online over the next few years plus tidal power and developments in P.V. cells.

There is also a subsea cable planned from Norway coming in at Blyth that will supply electricity generated by hydro power from Norway.

There is a definite future in renewable energy as part of a mix. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.
What damage is being done to the sea bed and marine wildlife ??? Most Environmental reports are not worth the paper they are written on.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
back on topic, electric powered self driving motorhomes are still way way off. the battery power needed to propel over 3500kg at highway speeds is huge and very heavy. think a tonne or more of lead batteries. I say lead batteries because lithium batteries would be massively expensive.
the power to weight would be a real world issue you cant ignore. payload is going to be very interesting

then consider a very heavy vehicle being controlled by a computer programmed by a human. any terrorist would only need access to write a virus or script and the roads would be a ticking timebomb

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
100% and if someone wanted to plant windtubines right behind your property I assume you would be welcoming them ???

Yes I honestly would
As would I welcome Energy from Waste
Nuclear Power (I used to live near a Nuclear Power Station as a child)
A Solar Farm

I generate much of the energy I use in my own home, and I own two electric vehicles.

It's about time people accepted that if we want energy in the future that the Government should do what's right for the country as a whole than bow to NINBY pressure groups.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back