Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
if you self built a coachbuilt, I know ita harder to get insurance, but would you have to submit for any testing or inspection from Vosa or dvla, or would an ins company just take your word that it was ok, and how does the collision testing go.....:Confused::Confused:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My (two) self builds have been insured by Adrian Flux... no inspections, no examinations, no Royal dogs (Corgi), just insurance... no doubt at a high price but...

JJ :Cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You better get yer finger out As from April 2012 an inspection will be required and its likely to be a tough'n for self builds
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You better get yer finger out As from April 2012 an inspection will be required and its likely to be a tough'n for self builds
Geo

I would always bow to your superior knowledge when it comes to vehicle Geo. But I think you may have this a little wrong.

As I understand it, This is about Type approval.

If we take a bog standard panel van and fit it out with sink etc we don't need to get type approval. I think its called "EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval" and it will have been already been gained by the manufacturer of the van.

If However we get a Ducato cab, fit an Alco chassis, a sleep cap and a crane to the back then we would fall under the new regs.

Link Removed

Karl

PS: Apologies if I am wrong Geo, but being a self builder I was concerned about this when it was first mentioned on the SBMCC club forum.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have found the specific post on this...

Link Removed

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I was keeping quiet as this is complex and at the moment I do not think there is anyone who fully understands whats happening, least of all the DVLA but my thinking on the subject was inline with Grometts.

Again apologies to Geo if we have it wrong.

When I transfered my van with window's DVLA records from a van to a motorhome I just included some photos and it went through without a hitch.

ON saying that and on a slightly different angle I did have all my insulations checked out by professionals at the end of the conversion. Some sort of regulation would be a good thing

stew

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think we may be talking at odds It would not suprise me if i were misinformed as all we at the busines end get are half truths and in house rumours However I was refering to the change in registration of a self build from a van to a motorhome
If i am hearing right your self build from april will always be a ducato van and insurable as such unless it's submitted to the examination to prove and test conversion meets all current regs of the day,
under something simular to the single vehicle aproval scheme as its known at present
All manf imports will fall into this catagory in april I belive
Only time will tell
Geo

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My self build is a Fiat Ducato and will always be such for insurance purposes ::bigsmile:
However I can get it changed from van to MotorCaravan it is still a Fiat Ducato for insurance etc..

There are mixed messages from the DVLA regarding changing it to a motorcaravan but these can be surmounted by persistence and stubbornness :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My self build is a Fiat Ducato and will always be such for insurance purposes ::bigsmile:
However I can get it changed from van to MotorCaravan it is still a Fiat Ducato for insurance etc..

There are mixed messages from the DVLA regarding changing it to a motorcaravan but these can be surmounted by persistence and stubbornness :ROFLMAO:

Then you are in danger of not getting full value pay out:Eeek:
If policy is based on a white van thats what you will get paid out for:whatthe:
Totally unsatisfactory for some,many van conversions cost more than a coach built
Geo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all, after reading Jim's post nothing has changed much with the exception of the van looking like a m/h :thumb::ROFLMAO::winky:
Geo makes a valid point about ins and the best way to go about that is to get an -agreed valuation insurance- I have said this all along to any self builder who will listen :thumb:All it takes is for you to ask and probably send photos to the insurer so that they can see/access the build :thumb:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have self build insurance. The van does NOT need to be reclassified as a motorhome with the DVLA to get motorhome insurance :winky:

That wasn't my point though. I may not have been clear.

Geo said:
If i am hearing right your self build from april will always be a ducato van and insurable as such
That has always been the case. The only bit that changes on the V5C is the Body Type. All the rest stay the same.
The Model part never changes.

From what I understand of everything. The new rules that come in on next year are EU harmonisation of the Type Approval Schemes and only affect the original vehicle manufacturer. This won't affect self builders as the vehicles we convert already have type approval.

I believe the current issue with the DVLA changing the body type on the V5 for some self builds is a guidance issue that doesn't seem to be affecting everyone and can be overcome. It doesn't affect the ability to get insurance and shouldn't in theory stop you from getting a Class IV MOT instead of a Class VII. I get a Class VII test on mine because I believe they are more thorough and I don't mind paying the extra £10 or so.

Hope I have been a bit clearer on what I meant this time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
if you self built a coachbuilt, I know ita harder to get insurance, but would you have to submit for any testing or inspection from Vosa or dvla, or would an ins company just take your word that it was ok, and how does the collision testing go.....:Confused::Confused:

Hi DL See Jim's link above for requirements :thumb:All you have to do then is send off the V5 with change to motor caravan :thumb: and to save time send photos inc one showing van / number plate prob with rear doors open :winky: at the very worst they can require you to take it to your local VOSA place for a inspection.Once you get it re-classified there are quite a few ins co's that will insure your van :thumb: but if you have done a good job converting it ::bigsmile: get the agreed value insurance :thumb:IE if you spend 5k on van and 5k on bits =10k plus what you think wages to convert say another 5k =15k total that is your agreed value figure so that is what you are looking at for insurance valuation-At the very least the van should be worth the cost of the van plus the cost of the fittings :Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back