Self build ambulance convertion (1 Viewer)

Regallee

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Stoke
Funster No
MH
Convertion
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpgHi all. I've been converting a ambulance for about the last 6 months on and off. The interior is almost complete so time to start on the outside. I've Terry's van on here and it looks fantastic. Was wondering if any one had any ideas of how to get rid of the lights at the top of the van? Not sure if liberally covering the existing with filler will hold up. Any input or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. The pic is not our van but the same setup with the exception of the doors removed.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Omg...
Is yours like that? That's wicked..
Anyway.. If the built in light bear is still in situ I would imagine the best way to remove it would be to take it off and use it as a mould to make a fibre glass copy.. Or summat like that

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Proper way would be to repair each hole with a fibreglass patch, such as a boat would be repaired. If you can get to the inside this is easy, by using sticky back plastic to the face, and laminating from the inside, then sand down and finish with body filler. If you only have access from the outside, then you can cut stiff cardboard pieces slightly larger than the hole, and place fibreglass mat on the cardboard, and with a couple of pies of welding wire or similar going thru the card enter the resined mat and cardboard in thru the hole, line up and pull it up flush with the wire. It is then later either built up with a bit more mat cut to fit the hole, or just finished off again with body filler. You might find it explained better on the internet, and there may even be videos on utube.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i would leave the lenses in place and fill the joints and holes flush the paint them over. it all depends on the shape though as there are numerous different models. if they sit into a flat surface, then fit a skin of aluminium or grp to match the body type

a photo would be useful of the lights you want to lose

forgot to say, if you do skin them over with filler rough the surfaces up thoroughly with coarse sandpaper first so the filler bonds permanently

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd leave the light strip on and instead see if you can convert the centre to a high-level brake light and possibly the 2 ends to additional indicator lights. The rest can then be painted to match the rest of the van. This will look much better than removing them as I don't think it would look 'right' without them as there's no getting away from the fact that it used to be an ambulance, no matter how much you change it, so better to make it look more aesthetically pleasing and hopefully have a purpose.

I really like ambulance conversions - we did one many moons ago and loved it! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Regallee

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Stoke
Funster No
MH
Convertion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking grp somehow but unsure how to even start with it. The blue lights on the ends are less of a issue as they kinda fit flush and are quite ridged. The lights inbetween on the other hand have a kinda thin plexi type glass the fits proud. You've given me some ideas to look it to thanks. Shall up loads some pics soon.

OP
OP
R

Regallee

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Stoke
Funster No
MH
Convertion
Exp
Since 2009
On closer inspection all of it is the thin plexi stuff. It's also cracked in places so needs replacing by some meansimage.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Regallee, we covered mine with fiberglass filler -sanded it then put a load more filler etc,etc, a lot of filling and sanding until it blended in nicely -- if I remember right I used a belt sander to get it near enough then went small ::bigsmile: Probably filled and sanded 8/10 times :Smile:-- The biggest pain was getting all the battenburg off -2 days with a hot air gun then another 2 days to get the glue off :Eeek:
I would be tempted to get some sheet ali and bend it around the rear light -get some thin stuff and a good grab adhesive :thumb:
All sorts going through my mind now -how about some 3 mm plastic window board and some 4 ins plastic skirting/architrave- to make a sort of spoiler to cover it ? ::bigsmile:
On the inside the fronts are in a cupboard (simply boxed in) and one rear is also in a cupboard the other is in the bathroom/shower- I simply incorporated it and made a shelf to hold tooth brush/pastes,deodorants etc :Smile:
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What about white round profile guttering? Or a large bore pipe with a bit cut out to make a 'u' tube?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back