Mar 23, 2014
LIVERPOOL
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi all,
I know the topic of attachiing a draught skirt for the awning has been covered many times, but I can't seem to find whether anyone has used self adhesive studs.
So my apologies if this has been covered, but my question is has anyone successfully used these and what do you think of them?
Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Talking about these I guess , https://www.towsure.com/self-adhesive-awning-studs-pack-of-2

13240detail.jpg

Think they might look a bit naff stuck down the length of the van though.

Martin

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Been thnking about these and trying to work out if I could fit the draught skirt to the underside/bottom edge of the side trims so they were not in view.

Also been thinking about using bull-dog clips to hold the skirt onto the bottom lip of the side trims!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 22.52.47.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 22.52.47.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 46
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use the YKK SNAD ones and they work very well, they are use mainly in the marine industry, they may look a bit odd but there is no drilling and screwing and can be removed without leaving a mark.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just bought Kampa limpet studs. They are now being sold as an accessory for the Kampa air awnings to fix the sides of the awning to caravan/Motorhome. I use them to fit my Taylor made silver screen to the sides of my A class you twist the suckers and untwist to release, nice bit of kit leaves nothing marks it damage

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
IMG_1647.JPG
Hi. I use these from John Lewis.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have just 'invested' in a safari room, more exactly Bev wanted one, so less of the we really

came with a skirt and what I thought was far more than we needed suckers

seemed a good idea but a bit of a breeze here at Haxey today and they are on and off every few minutes

technically they can only of course come back off if put back on, but my truly beloved other half is off with my mother on dementia related duties, due back at some point but exact time not known, but I feel it my duty to have it looking more or less as she left it a couple of hours ago, once back Bev can resume reinstatement duties :)o_O(y)

IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We used the sucker system on our skirt last winter in Spain for over six months, and only on one occasion during very high winds did one become detached. No marks were left on the panels when they were removed.
We bought them from a stand at the Malvern show last year, we bought one on the first day of the show stuck it on skirt to check it worked which it did, we then bought the rest at the end of the show. The eyelets are 10mm 'Langard Arro' the suction cups which are not marked are a 10mm nipple and 40mm diameter cup.
Cheers
Ed

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We used the sucker system on our skirt last winter in Spain for over six months, and only on one occasion during very high winds did one become detached. No marks were left on the panels when they were removed.
We bought them from a stand at the Malvern show last year, we bought one on the first day of the show stuck it on skirt to check it worked which it did, we then bought the rest at the end of the show. The eyelets are 10mm 'Langard Arro' the suction cups which are not marked are a 10mm nipple and 40mm diameter cup.
Cheers
Ed
Probably from me, we sell lots of sucker products at shows. Our suckers are not the cheapo chinese ones so don't go stiff in cold, don't dis-colour and don't fall off if applied to a clean flat smooth surface.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Large industrial suckers work! I have used them for years on the tin tents for securing the awning skirt.

I use a suitable length SS screw to affix the popper to the sucker.

You can see here how much strain there is yet they do not pop off.

HTH (y)

OP
OP
R

RAGGITY

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
LIVERPOOL
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Many thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.
Diabalo - its the YKK SNAD fastners I had in mind, I presume you've found a way to remove them?
Lorryman and DavidG58 - a special thanks for your detailed photo's.
I've now had time to reconsider, as I said following everyone's guidance, and I think that I am going to try Lorryman's suggestion - I will keep you posted.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Raggity- they are easy to remove by running a thin blade behind them and then clean any residue of adhesive off.

OP
OP
R

RAGGITY

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
LIVERPOOL
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Raggity- they are easy to remove by running a thin blade behind them and then clean any residue of adhesive off.
Diabalo, can I ask what you think about how they look on the side of the MH?
Thanks again

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Raggity, to me they don't look too bad, you can judge them for yourself in this photo of damage done in storage, there would have been another one where the hole is and there are a few more past the wheel arch, it's all repaired now and cost the perpetrator over £800 to replace that small panel under the door but that's another story. Hope the photo helps.
Damage.jpg

OP
OP
R

RAGGITY

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
LIVERPOOL
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Raggity, to me they don't look too bad, you can judge them for yourself in this photo of damage done in storage, there would have been another one where the hole is and there are a few more past the wheel arch, it's all repaired now and cost the perpetrator over £800 to replace that small panel under the door but that's another story. Hope the photo helps.
View attachment 161639
Diabalo, no they are hardly noticeable, but my MH panels are grey where yours are white.
As for their damage, that's nasty but at least the perpetrator foot the bill. My MH was also damaged in storage by a tugger who wouldn't admit to causing the damage.
Cost of repair was £2k !
I might see if I can colour one of the fasteners
Thanks again

OP
OP
R

RAGGITY

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
LIVERPOOL
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I somehow get the impression that some funsters are not taking this seriously.
Most funsters will know the detrimental damage that both nails and dry wall plugs would do to to the light weight materials our MH'S are made from. It's 3 inch self tapping screws for a proper job!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I used Snad fasteners to adapt my silverscreens cover to save opening windows and doors the work really well but a little expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back