Seitz window flyscreen

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Richgj, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Hi I have a flyscreen that is pulled down from the top with a blackout screen that operates by pulling up from the bottom.
    The flyscreen won't retract. Any ideas how to fix and where to start if I need to take it apart.
    Many thanks Rich

2. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Check either side to see if it has come out of it's runners.

It has happened to me on several occasions

3. Masman

Masman Funster

Hiya. Ive just repaired my seitze blind .same problem.I taped up the outside of the window with thick masking tape.if you don't do this there is a risk of all window falling out.take out plastic screw covers around frame then remove all screws.the inside frame should then pull out towards you.there is a small screw on the left hand side of the blind.also a staple remove both,then lift out the edge of blind so as to get to metal rod in end of blind.as you lift it out it will be under tension from inner spring.I used pliers to put more tension on spring by turning metal rod clockwise a few times.keep tension on & replace rod back into slot and replace washer & screw.try blind.if it dosent retract try butting a few more turns on said rod.Hope this helps:thumb: There is a thread somewhere on this site which may help.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

hi Rich you need to remove the inner frame complete to get at the return spring I also have one to do however cupboards are built over part of the frame and I cannot get at the screws without a major strip down.

5. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Seitz blind

Seems like it's not a quick job thanks I'll try when it's stopped raining

6. Terry

Terry Funster

About 10 to 20 mins max--search on here I have put a couple of post how to do it
    Retensioning blinds

terry

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Thanks Terry I've had a search but am struggling to find them as the search returns lots of results not relating to blinds. Rich

8. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

My fly screen stuck earlier in the year, I used WD40 giving it a quick blast in the corners and gently easing the blind up and down, it work perfectly. Got to be worth a try? :thumb:

9. stcyr

stcyr Funster

When we first got our Dethleffs the flyscreens would not retract - they'd been left in the down position for a long time.
    I reached up to the top and with fingertips coaxed the screen round its roller, in effect helping the retractor spring do its job, until it was completely rolled up... After doing this just once, on one window, the flyscreen has since retracted and unrolled as it should. The other side needed two attempts. If you push the lower edge of the screen upwards you should be able to get your fingers to reach the roller without the screen coming out of the runners. No big deal if it does slip out of the runners each side but it will cause friction which will be enough to hinder the spring action - the springs are just strong enough to retract a free-running screen (otherwise it'd shoot up too violently) - just ease the edges back into the runners. The older meshes become a bit brittle which is no problem in normal use but when being poked around the edges can fray/crack/tear.
    It's worth trying this before dismantling - at least if the screen hasn't been moved for some time.
    If the screen's been used regularly, then obviously the above won't apply :Smile:.

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi follow Masmans advise in earlier posts :thumb: more or less the same but I usually undo one side of the plastic holding screws leaving the other side in place then roll blind up putting it under tension before re secureing it.Make sure it's working before refiting
    Terry
    Will try and find a link later

11. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Thanks everyone I won't be able to try until next week so will report back then