Seen this Kayak no laughing please, any good?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Milliemobile, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We were pottering around in go outdoors in York today, killing time before hospital appointment and spotted this

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/river-boat-p175329

We realise all the serious Kayakers will probably be falling around laughing, but it packs away tiny which is great for our small pvc (although all the paddles seemed huge, are there such things as compact ones?)
    And thinking it might be good fun for us whilst the dogs are having a swim, to have something for us to play in.

Will it be a total waste of money or might it actually allow us a few months of fun?

Lin :)

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

York, you were in the right place to buy something that floats sadly. :(

3. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

River is down now, Rowntree Park still closed though so it was a quick trip over :(

4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

I was bought one for my 60th as we live by the sea. I found it very difficult to manoeuvre and was advised to fit a "Skeg" (a kind of rear keel) and it transformed it. However, I find that the inflatable seats are next to useless. They give you no support whatsoever. If you are fit and have good stomach muscles you should be ok. The other thing is I find it difficult to get it into the 'rucksack' position.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Thanks for the info, we would use in the sea if get one :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Once inflated...... It will never go back in the box...:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We bought one from our 'action man' neighbour a few years ago. They are hard to paddle, unweildy to carry around, very easily blown around in the wind and affected by waves (sea!). Also you get what you pay for ................ :eek:

Save the money and buy something 'proper' would be my thoughts (IMHO of course) :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

That's what's worrying me, bit like our inflatable awning looked very small and neat originally, seems to have doubled in size since 1st use :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Um it's the size that's attractive, the other boxes were twice the size :(. Might have to stick with swimming/snorkeling.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Just a word of caution, inflatable kayaks and the sea are not the best mix in all but the lightest of winds.

Price wise for a bit of a splash around it will provide a bit of fun in the right environment - a small lake or slow river.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

They do sound great in principle ................ but I suspect you knew the answer as you posted :confused: I do that all the time :eek:

12. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

It is just for fun, when it's calm and no wind, the dogs love the sea, but when it's a bit cold, not as much fun for us :)

13. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I have a Sevylor Colorado (higher up the range) and would be VERY wary about taking it to sea.

Some people do (see youtube) but it's not for me... they're good on lakes and gentle rivers and do pack into the bag very well (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Once a year then :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Yeah yr right, it's my birthday in a couple of weeks...can probably do better. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ooooh go on.... You know you want it.... If it's no good it'll double up as the dogs bed....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
  17. zaskar

zaskar Funster

For the price, they're a cracking piece of kit, especially used from a motorhome/caravan where space is at a premium.
    We've had a Stearns BackCountry (no longer made) for years now and it goes everywhere, including the sea.
    We have two self inflating life jackets which although not cheap at nearly £100 each are a MUST, even for a strong swimmer like me.
    Agree with comments re lack of support from inflatable seats so use these.......
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/anywhere-chair-green--p152355
    ........and it makes a vast difference (used on top of inflated seat).
    We've loaded ours with the tent + cooking equip and been away overnight before now. English canals, Scottish Lochs, the Med, you name it.
    It's wonderful for SWMBO as she can share in one of my activities in which she can keep up. It's peaceful, relaxing and perfectly safe when common sense is applied.
    This forum.............. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ is an excellent source of info with very helpful members.
    [​IMG]
    In the Med, last week, off Aguilas. 5 mins later, we had a dolphin at the side of the canoe..............which was wonderful once we realised it wasn't Jaws!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Sevylor boats are made in a cordura type material with plastic bladders for inflation. They are buggers to dry properly.
    We sold ours and bought a Gumotex. It is made in a more durable and easier to dry PVC material similar to inshore lifeboats.
    A quick wipe with a towel and it stores in its own dry bag with rucksack straps for ease of portability.

You'll need another 400 quid though!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We have a 420 sea eagle explorer with a skeg, took skeg off thinking we might damage it on a shallow stretch in the dordogne Kayak went crazy, put it back on again quickly, you have very poor control and stability without one. You need a few more quid for the sea eagle too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    My son inlaw does Kayaking from what he has talked about in the past he talked about sea kayaks and river one's so I don't know but the later may not be suitable on the sea. Pete