Seems diesel waxing could be about (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
S'funny....it was as low as minus14c the year before last here in the north east....where its supposed to be worse.

i didnt suffer waxing....just lack of grip. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
There was a high incidence of injector problems around here last winter (North Essex). Everyone claimed to have had filled with diesel from a local Shell station.

My son has been in the motor trade 20 years and is amazed how many diesels are suffering with injector problems these days.

Recently had Ford Mondeo lose power due to blocked filter followed by lorry that suffered same problem ?

Yet one guy runs his Land Rover on nothing but chip fat and has no problem. It really does smell like being outside a chippy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wish my car would run on chip fat......

local discount frozen food shop sells cooking oil at £9.95 per 10 ltrs

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My 110 runs on it, although I only ever go a 30% mix.

Still, that's enough to save £200 a year on fuel bills if used all the time. Runs much smoother with more power, too.

Useless in near feezing conditions, though.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All my vehicles run 100% bio diesel and I have had no problems with waxing. I don't suppose it could be a batch of faulty filters could it ?.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Trying to figure this one out as the fuel passes the CFPP test (cold filter plugging point) to be sold as pump fuel, so it is not as simple as wax.

The RAC technical guy on radio 4 this morning said that it was more like a gel (wax is obvious!) and they thought related to the higher level of biofuels currently in pump diesel (7% max, currently). I am wondering if it is anything to do with stability issues, which you get in heavy fuels when mixed - the asphaltenes drop out of suspension. Now I know that there are no asphaltenes in diesel oil but it might be something similar

I will ask our lab guys who test this stuff every day; they might know something that they are able to pass on,

In any case, in the big scheme of things it appears to be a very very small problem at the moment

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Diesel waxing is an issue when cold weather comes - this is the 'cloud' point where minute particles of wax form or drop out and can slowly block a filter or a fuel line. The addition of biofuels to the mineral form of diesel has raised the cloud point of diesel ie made it happen at a higher temperature - also EU legislation has not only forced the removal of sulphur ( previously used as a lubricant for diesel pumps and injectors ) and now increases in the amount of biofuel in diesel from 5% to 7.5% - this also lowers the cetane level ( effectively the amount of power of the diesel ) - if you relate this to petrol the effect has been to reduce it from 4 star to 2 star. To overcome these problems they put in additives firstly to cover the sulphur angle and then to cover the cetane level. As the ambient temperature lowers additives are put in to stop waxing. This is only added when needed and only at a level that is needed - So where you to fill up in Birmingham say where it was 8 degrees and then drive to Scotland where it was -5 then the diesel in your tank would risk waxing out. Similar problems occur if a garage has 'summer' diesel in and slow sales and winter arrives. I the usual timing for some additives to be put in is mid late September the level then increases according to area and risk

If you are in a situation where you go from a warm climate to a cold one - ie fill in Spain and return to England in the winter then you can add a treatment such as Wurths which will compensate but to work it does need to be put in before filling so that it is fully mixed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There are loads of papers out there about it - I think you find that the cetane number of biodiesel is in fact higher than mineral diesel. One reason why it is attractive (as well as it's lubricating properties)

Your argument doesn't stack up about waxing in this incident, though I would agree with the general sentiment. As per my post, the fuel has to meet certain standards and this include a test for waxing - not only cloud point and pour point which have been used but cold filter plugging point. According to the RAC technical guy on R4 this wasn't wax but more like a gel that blocked the filters, which is rather strange. Wax will melt back, apparently this gel does not, which is why I drew the comparison with Asphaltenes in heavier fuel oils.

Edit - the fuel has to meet EN590 spec, no matter what and this has minimum values for CFPP wherever you are in Europe. I would not be so sure that the fuel properties vary so much between the middle and the top of the country, but it is possible.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
The cetane level varies wildly between different biofuels depending on its source - the highest cetane levels recorded are those from animal fats. Generally the biofuels used in road fuels are those in the lower register and often as low as 40 these are also the cheapest and the most likely to have a higher cloud point. Commercial production of biofuel is a very different product than that produced by private users from a quality base material

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I know - it's part of my job.... The samples sat on my desk tell a slightly different story; as does the knock engine. We will agree to differ on cetane values but it is not relevant to the gel problem that is blocking some filters. There is no discernible correlation between make of fuel, grade, vehicle make or vehicle type.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It will be nothing to do with modern engines being to refined then? Are older vehicles being affected i wonder. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It will be nothing to do with modern engines being to refined then? Are older vehicles being affected i wonder. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Mine are not just old...they are almost antique and no problems whatsoever.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

It would appear not; it is the filter blocking, not the engine - unless filters for more modern engines are finer. You would think that if it was simple wax formation, whole fleets would grind to a halt in various parts of the country. It isn't - it appears to be seasonal but without correlation as above

I'm trying to find out a bit more within the industry - got ahead of the game with the infamous anti foaming agent in the gasoline a few years ago so am optimistic I can find something possible to publish

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Filters for the modern diesel engine are substantially finer than ever before - the reason behind this is the higher delivery pressures at the injector - some pressures at the injector tip are frighteningly high with pressures exceeding 1000 psi. The holes at the tip are finer to create a better and finer misting at the higher delivery pressures. This is driven by the need to reduce emissions to comply with the latest 'Euro' spec. Most modern engines are on a common rail system. Older engines have a much simplified system.

That is a simplified explanation

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The injection pressure on my Mercedes is about 2000 bar 29000PSI (I had to check that but it is correct; some run up to 2500 bar 36000PSI) which shows how diesel engines have rapidly developed in the recent past. It makes sense that filters are finer as the piezo injectors now used in modern engines are really an engineering marvel. According to the RAC this problem can affect any vehicle, which also makes sense, if a gel is going to drop out of the fuel then it will block anything, in the same way that asphaltenes can bring a marine diesel to a grinding halt (although at least with a lot of these you can back flush the filter to a certain extent). Still awaiting a response from my sources on this interesting problem.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok guys.. We obviously have some experts on here, so while your minds are concentrated have a question.

I have now changed my fuel filter twice

On both occasions, immediately after changing the filter there has been a significant improvement in mpg figures.. And I am not talking maybe or head job ( as in a job is done so it MUST be better in my head sort of thing ) numbers but serious decrease in fuel used ( about a 20 % improvement in fact )

Soooooo

The filter is obviously up stream from the pump.. Tank, filter, pump, injectors to keep it simple

Now if a filter is partially blocked it should have absolutely NO effect on the injector pump or the injectors as the fuel delivered is still ( has to be ) metered at the same precise level

I really cannot explain why the improvement.
I have mentioned this before but in all honesty was not convinced as to the voracity of the arguments put forward to explain the phenomena

Soooo.. you 'fuelly' guys.... any ideas ?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Ok - I will try and answer this in the simplest way so please shout if its too complicated and don't shout if its too simplified.

The modern diesel uses in one form or another a common rail system ie the diesel is pumped in a continuous circuit from the tank through the filter into the head out of the head and back to the tank. To do this at the high pressures at the injector is not only not feasible it would be exceedingly dangerous. The delivery pressure at the head varies between different systems but is about the 30 to 40 psi and even this takes a lot of pumping to the pumps are usually multi staged so stage one would be say 25 psi then stage 2 would be say 40 psi it is then controlled by a regulator to the required pressure. Generally the filter is incorporated between the 2 stages to ensure the fuel is clean going into the 2nd stage. Right now to the injectors - there are a number of ways of boosting the pressure to the required tip pressure - electronically or mechanically or a combination of both again depending on the engine. Now when we are talking of tip pressure think of a hose pipe flowing - you reduce the end by sticking your finger over it and you get a fine spray. Simplified you get a partial increase on pressures by that. Now talk specifically land rover Td5 the tip pressure is 1750bar which is an eye watering 25382.00 pounds per square inch this is done mechanically and fired electronically - the timing and extent of the opening is controlled by the ECU.

OK the problem I suspect you may be having is either with the pressure regulator and or the fuel source being contaminated in some way. This could even be down to the diesel bug which is a black yeast based material that lives and grows in diesel and can rapidly start to block a new filter I would suggest you cut open a filter from your vehicle and examine the contents. Any restriction/ pressure loss in the flow of diesel to the injector will have a multiplying negative effect on the final injector tip pressure and therefore the power release so an increase in fuel consumption.

Although most manufacturers are giving massively extended service periods I always change our fuel filters at 6000 miles and carry a spare

Hope that helps and is not too confusing

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fully understand no problem.. however ( you was just waiting for that now weren't you !! )

The last time I changed it I actually tore the old one apart.. stuck some of it under a low powered microscope I keep on the desk

Virtually NO signs of anything at all.. Just a small amount of the usual detritus I expected to find.

The engine is not a particularly modern one, it being an older type 2.8 boxer.
It IS common rail and is turbo but is of the older ( from 2002 ) design.

I pulled an injector before and after the filter change ( because of the previous experience and how baffling it was ) and checked the spray pattern ( ok, not too scientifically ..just used a bit of paper a few inches from the tip ) and both tests were pretty much identical ..

I suspect you are on the right track with this though but ummm... Well I still aint totally convinced ( but hey, I still aint convinced the world isn't flat.. Thats what I tell woman and the excuse I use when I keep driving south on our Euro trips ! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot to mention.. I tend to change the filter around the 12k mark.. Reason being quite simple.. Anyone who has worked on those pug systems know what a TOTAL arse it is to get he bowl to reseal !!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
38k..
I did not change the first one until 24k.. Then changed it again at 34k

Current MPG is sitting around 24 mpg ( when I first got the van I was lucky to get 21.. Had a WOW! map done which paid for its self in the first year after )

Towing a caravan or small car KILLS the economy.. Usually around 18 or 19 MPG but then it is a BIG van to start with and towing anything except a bike brings it really close to my MTW. ( woman has insisted I tow the Smarty down to Spain this year so I am not looking forward to the fuel bill for that little jaunt !!! About £950 as opposed to the usual £710 )

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ok guys.. We obviously have some experts on here, so while your minds are concentrated have a question.
I have now changed my fuel filter twice
On both occasions, immediately after changing the filter there has been a significant improvement in mpg figures.. And I am not talking maybe or head job ( as in a job is done so it MUST be better in my head sort of thing ) numbers but serious decrease in fuel used ( about a 20 % improvement in fact )
Soooooo
The filter is obviously up stream from the pump.. Tank, filter, pump, injectors to keep it simple
Now if a filter is partially blocked it should have absolutely NO effect on the injector pump or the injectors as the fuel delivered is still ( has to be ) metered at the same precise level
I really cannot explain why the improvement.
I have mentioned this before but in all honesty was not convinced as to the voracity of the arguments put forward to explain the phenomena
Soooo.. you 'fuelly' guys.... any ideas ?
Perhaps that old Hawthorne had something to do with the improvement.:winky:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
I think my next move would be to look at the delivery pressure at the head - I don't know your engine type or the intimate details of your fuel system but if the pump is losing pressure ? regulator slowly failing even a small restriction in the flow could drop your pressure making the engine less less effective

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Forgot to mention.. I tend to change the filter around the 12k mark.. Reason being quite simple.. Anyone who has worked on those pug systems know what a TOTAL arse it is to get he bowl to reseal !!!

You are not kidding - same problem on my 3 litre Ducato.

My field is on the testing side of fuels so happily defer to Landy Lover on the oily bits. Haven't heard back about the waxing yet..... there must be a "wax off" joke there somewhere though!

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think my next move would be to look at the delivery pressure at the head - I don't know your engine type or the intimate details of your fuel system but if the pump is losing pressure ? regulator slowly failing even a small restriction in the flow could drop your pressure making the engine less less effective

K.. I can get access to some really nice kit. Will not worry about it before Spain ( too sodding cold to muck about with diesel ! ) but can nail of a full test set up if I ask nicely..

Appreciate your efforts sir :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds like diesel bug to me, great isn't it the government forcing addition of bio to pure diesel and ruining cars.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nope, not bugs as far as we know. Usually very smelly........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back